Internal Lighting - How Much Light?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by LordEnglish, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordEnglish

LordEnglish Avatar

Has anyone created a "what gives the most light" list?

As we have a limit on the number of internal light sources, I would love to see a list of what light sources give the greatest area, or greatest brightness of light. This would help people choose efficient lighting to put up inside their homes.

Sometimes the aesthetics of a candlabra over a brazier will take precedence, but I wouldn't want to use up say 5 internal lights on wall candles if I know a single wall torch will provide an equivalent amount!

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, I used to do a list of which light sources gave the best<>worst light.
    However they have changed them so many times now that I stopped doing that. Most values are placeholder and under change. Plus we have a new change to Unity 5 coming up soon. So...

Maybe wait a bit?

What I usually do is after a major release (not patches), is to buy/bring one of each light into a dark basement and then place them one at a time to get a feel how it works now.

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I haven't gotten all of them to compare, but from those I have, I would say wall torch is best, followed by brazier. Candles of all types can be aesthetically pleasing and seem more appropriate for some spots (like at a bedside dresser or on a dining room table, etc.) but don't offer as much light as those two.

If you're talking strictly to brighten up a room and get most bang for your buck, I'd say the wall torch or brazier. But if you want to decorate with appropriate items, you will have to mix and match anyway.

As a side note, some (all?) of the crafting stations provide a light source and count towards the max allowed in/on the property... so keep that in mind if you plan to use them.

4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

How far are lightsources seen in the world? I mean when I enter a town at night, I see the houses in the distance but no lights inside. The lights just appear when I get closer.
    I think that is is a bit "unrealistic" and the atmosphere suffers. I think that this is due to performance reasons. But wouldn't it be possible to substitute the windows of houses with "yellow, glowing" windows when the distance is reached at which the light from the lightsources is no longer visible? This way the windows would still look lit up in the darkness, offering a better atmosphere for towns at night.

Similar to the lit windows in this artwork:
    [​IMG]

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

The high braziers give good light, but i avoid them because they're too loud.

6. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

The low braziers also give off excellent light and are silent (I think) - strongly recommend those. They also look very nice visually.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Street lamps give off a lot of light but you can only place them outside on the ground, which I think is stupid. You can't even place them on the pier if you have a water property.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.