inventory problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dysis, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

so... im trying to arrange my inventory.Recently i learned the magic of the E button for looting. if you want to loot stuff, E is great, but if you use it, in your house, get ready to unleash satan. Pressing E with a bag open instantly tranfers all item from that bag to your inventor? i have to ask, cause it just makes no sense.

2. Metalocalypze

Metalocalypze Avatar

Unleash Satan haha nice. If you’re lucky not to click or close the bag that everything moved to. All those items from the original bag ‘should’ still be highlighted and able to drag back without too much harm done.

Elwyn, Kara Brae and Numa like this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

The E key has been the bane of my SOTA life from the very beginning. Have at least 7 large containers in my home with about 300+ objects each and the accidental mayhem that ensues whenever this happens nearly turns my hair all grey :confused:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I *think* I recall a few telethon questions about this asking for a confirmation before you take more than X items from a non-corpse - and I think it’s on the to-do list..

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Kara Brae like this.
  5. Dysis

Dysis Avatar

Cheers! thank you so much for the responses! I got hit again tonight with it, and nothing is better than others with the same situation. Oh Numa, i feel you.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Kara Brae and Numa like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

You are correct that is how it works, and you are also correct in that it makes no sense and has been a complaint for years.
    We even had a jira planned for a specific release once, but it was cut and then lost in the jira jungle.

Here you will find my suggested solution:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...o-2-keys-one-for-use-and-one-for-take.101724/

However with that said, if you have just made the mistake you can actually save yourself.
    Once all the objects have transfered (no red text and the old container close) then all the new items taken into your inventory is actually in your "selection" (usually highlighted by light gray) so in your inventory find one of the newly taken objects, then open the container again and drag that object back to the container.
    As long as you haven't clicked anything in between it will now take that whole "selection" and put it back again.

Two notes though
    1 it doesn't work on things that pile up into stacks you already had in your inventory.
    2 if you didn't have your inventory open you are usually SOL since the highlight goes away when opening, but here using the key usually works - just stay away from clicking.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I am usually pretty good about this, but I have E-keyed everything from my main storage box TWICE this past week, once while I was on screen sharing from elsewhere in the house, so I had to move stuff back with a low frame rate. Please for the love of all that is holy, disable the E key for storage containers! It's okay to leave the Take All button, devs, and you can put (E) on the buttons if it makes you feel better.

Spoon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

this really needs to be addressed. I hear you fully on this. I have a crafting area with thousands of items. every so often Satan as you call it gets me and I spend the next hour sorting through inventory once again. The sucky part is when after you are done you forget to close that one chest and go to open another with E lol.

Spoon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I mentioned this before and will again. There is no need to have that option in the first place. You can simply highlight everything in the list by selecting the first item in a container, while holding down shift, select the last item in the container, then drag everything into your inventory. You could also require a key-combo in addition to the E key; Shift+E = Take All. I still accidentally drag everything out of containers from time to time.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Oh, and it's not Satan, this is clearly the work of "E"ris, goddess of Discord and Chaos.

Spoon, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

I should have known she was behind this :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

another usper easy fix - reassign it to another key- like right Alt E this make it a two handed action, or clear it out altogether.

Yes they should have totally separated the Interact and Take All, B-U-T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.