Is anyone else revisiting Ultima games while you wait?

Discussion in 'The Kingdoms of Old' started by docdoom77, Jan 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

You can download a portrait pack though. Helps a great deal.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

Oh, I didn't know that. The last time I played U6 project, it was still the case that not all of the NPCs had portraits.

Everyone in Lazarus had a nice portrait. I also felt the U6 portraits were much worse.

3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

The portrait packs are fan work. The quality is hit and miss, but it's scads better than sillouhette faces.

Ragnabrock and tradyblix like this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Is it on the U6 project site ? Or do you have a link ?

5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Thanks alot ! wow, maybe I'll give it another go.

I really missed that from Lazarus.

7. Gabi

Gabi Avatar

I'm in Hythloth in Lazarus right now. I agree about the portraits with the only exception of Shamino, whom I like better in U6project. Is there any way to replace his portrait?

8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Using the modding tools, you could replace any and all portraits, but I think you have to know what you're doing. I know jack about that kinda stuff.

Ragnabrock and Gabi like this.
  9. Gabi

Gabi Avatar

Whoa! No, I won't even try. it's not that important anyway.

docdoom77 likes this.
  10. Floors

Floors Avatar

Don't forget to get the quicksword after getting the mystic armors

11. Gabi

Gabi Avatar

I didn't find it, but I am playing on easy difficulty anyway, so I don't really need it.

12. Floors

Floors Avatar

After you beat the demon at the bottom of Hythloth and end up in the Underworld, you go in a tunnel that you get the Mystic weapons and armor,

Then you run around a kind of complex underworld scene, further in there you'll get to an area that has a cliff running along the western edge - it's far in and in a place that seems like a dead end.

If you carefully look along the edge of the cliff, you'll see a guide rope there and if you follow the guide rope, there's an invisible path that takes you to a ruined city.

In the ruined city area theres a ton of undead, but you'll clean them out on easy and with mystic weapons no problem. In there is the quick sword, a statue of Minax and a letter.

It's a pretty cool part of the game and worth getting. It's also the best weapon in the game.

Those of you never played Ultima V and couldn't get into it now, but don't mind playing Dungeon Siege, (you can jack up the resolution really high by editing an ini file btw)

I highly recommend trying Lazarus out. It truly preserves the spirit of the game and it's kind of a cross between UV and UVII which is neat. Plus you can do evil ending if you want :)

Gabi likes this.
  13. Gabi

Gabi Avatar

Fine, thank you, I'll look for it my next time through. For now I've started U6project again using the completed German translation, which is pretty cool, too.

docdoom77 and tradyblix like this.
  14. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

So... After four months, numerous vacation days, and now holed up at home due to personal injury, I have completed my 14 game Ultima marathon startinbg with 1 and ending with 9 (with Gaiden Games included in their relevant spots)

This was my first time playing Ultima 8 and 9, despite being very familiar with the plots and occurences, having spoilt myself some time ago. I'm not sure I'll ever play through the games again, this was a fair bit more epic a task than I was expecting it to be, fraught with bugs, crashes, and re-evaluating games I played many many moons ago. And yes, I'm one of those folks that finished Ultima 4 without guides. ^~ It bemuses me that folks would get stuck at the end in relation to the final answers to the point of the running joke that is Smith.

But now, after a rush of the first few games, and then the last few stretching out for weeks at a time, I can honestly say that I have a new favourite Ultima, that has finally and definitely cast down The Black Gate in my favourite Ultimas.

And that is Ultima 9.

1.19f patch, playing with the voices and the original text. Just the way that it pulled together all the Lore, the characters, references to events many games ago, and put its own twist on it, and that you actually were playing the Avatar and being an Avatar. While there were a few moments of head scratching, a lot of it could be put down to cataclysmic events of a few games prior, and it felt more of an Ultima than any game post The Black Gate. And the dungeons, were just amazing.

So yeah. No Stockholming or anything, just an Ultima fan from the 80s playing the end of the franchise for the first time and loving it as a farewell to the series. I guess not having the buggy as launch version, and a far too good computer helps. ^~ And really, with the amount of hate this game has gotten, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it at all, especially after the incrediably painful slogs through Serpent Isle and Pagan. I think Pagan is my least favourite, with Serpent Isle dueling with Ultima 2 for second place.

Now... to decide what non-Ultima Marathon to begin... Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls or Demon's/Dark Souls?

I guess thats the main reason I don't have interest in Lazarus. 'Evil Endings' really have no place in the Ultima canon in my opinion :)

15. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

I would suggest Final Fantasy, if no other reason because your experience is going to be so similar to the Ultima games... You have to pick and choose the correct version/port to play to get the most enjoyment out of them or you'll probably give up.
    The first few(1-3) are fun little games, irritating experiments in game design, really; the plots are very simple and its mostly about leveling up.
    The next few(4-7) are the gems of the series, they come into their own as a storytelling medium and created the lasting legacy and it is these that most people adored for years and years.
    The following group (8-10) were mostly the publisher getting in the way destroying creativity and pushing graphicsgraphicsgraphics. The plots are nonsense and the characters are impossible to like.
    The rest of the FF games can be summed up with "Lady British".

Playing through the Elder Scrolls as a marathon isn't worth it, if you ask me, because they're all basically the same game up until Oblivion. Just play Morrowind again.
    And, if you REALLY want to marathon the Souls games, do it RIGHT: Play through all the Kings Field games first.

But really, play the Dragon Quest series instead. They feel much more "Ultima" than any of these other games.

16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, you don't have to do the evil ending. It's optional. It's just cool that they thought of it and put it in. It really will make you see UV a different way.

But, I don't think I'll convince anyone that thinks U9 is the best ultima.... (!!!)

What IS a paladin, anyway ?

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Mostly agreed, although having a blast playing X and X-2 HD remaster on the Vita these days

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm currently playing Ultima 7 and it's funny some of the things you forget about it, for instance: Buying regeants can be a night of adventure on it's own because not everyone sells the same thing in each town...so you really have to look for that garlic and when you do find it you buy a ton!

Also, it seems very strange you can't sell any loot you find, I don't remember this at all! I love hunting to make sure i have food to feed my hungry little biggers!

Still a gem if you ask me.

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Rune_74. Yea that was a blast. I am playing Serpent Isle and the Silver Seed expansion and love the Ring of Reagents!!!

Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

I liked getting the black sword in U7:Forge of Virtue, although it was, from a game design standpoint, kind of bad. Just think about the following:

Let's give you max all your abilities, have LB give you double strength on top of that, and give you a uber-sword that can kill anything and everything, a totally evil thing that goes against anything the UIV-VI era Avatar would ever use, and then we'll take it away in the very next game. LOL.

Not just starting the game without it of course. But actually giving it to you and letting you see it and then taking it away within 30 seconds of gameplay (Serpent Isle).

Man... talk about throwing something through the monitor.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.