Is Global Chat a bad thing? POLL ADDED

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Brian4, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Would you Like a Global chat Channel?

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    54.8%
  2. no

45 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Does not bother me

11 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Warframe is produced by Digital Extreme, which is a Canadian company. They don't have the same state work laws.

Tazar likes this.
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

;)

[​IMG]

Jaesun and Sher Shadowleaf like this.
  3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Can you supply us with the laws for US, then? Also, don't we have volunteer forum mods which is owned by Port? What's the difference?

4. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I can't see the problem, with the same rules and laws applied for the "Nobles Chat" and other chats we can have a working global chat.
    The moderation system will be the same of every chat in game.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. Mingo Ebonmark

Mingo Ebonmark Avatar

If there were to be a global chat implemented I would love for it to be an OPEN MULTIPLAYER MODE exclusive channel - to encourage more sociable mmo gaming.

Witcheypoo, Jason_M, Gorthyn and 7 others like this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

You know, I'd be ok with that.

7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I have no problem with global chat as long as it's an opt-in thing.

8. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Perhaps, a different method. A subscription based model where you can either subscribe to a "global" entity, to town entities, and/or to avatar entities. Granted if you want two way communication both entities have to subscribe to you which would be automatic for global and town but not for avatar entities. There would also be an unsubscribe, ignore and report.

That way if you want to hear the hubbub from your POT local chat and 20 of the avatars of your choosing, you could subscribe to those entities and listen in.
    If you wanted to hear the craziness that is global chat, you would subscribe to it.

This way you only hear as much as you want to and from whom ever you want to.

9. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

But as you said you are a moderator on the official Shroud owned discord server, so how is that not violating labor laws? I am just curious because the suggestions that Alleine suggested were volunteer roles in other elements. If the things Alleiene bring up such as "The Bug Brigade" are happening, then by your statement they are breaking the law.

A lot of people would be keen to support in active roles to help keep the wheels going. I am also sure a lot of people would feel useful with it all too. Also we have the hospitaller mechanic which people can volunteer for, so that must as well be illegal as they are helping new players. Yes they may not get any set rewards, but in a way they are getting some form of recognition in the form of a game/discord title.

When it comes to streaming, I put myself out there and try to promote the game through my stream and trying to do my bit to help other streamers where I can to do their bit in promoting the game. I like other streamers have been issued items such as game codes and some exclusive rewards such as the streamer camera and so on, but that was an incentive with no cost attached. Does that make it illegal?

So in a sense I am not sure I follow what you are saying, I am lost by "what certain activity is in violation". I am going to keep doing my bit regardless of how it may appear legally, I am mature enough to know I am mature enough to do what I do without any compensation, and that I do not expect anything in return. I have my own principles when it comes to streaming, but that is beyond the scope of this thread.

I just think that this thread was constructive and friendly, until it appears that you started to call out a fellow forum user and this conversation did not need to get to where it is now.

10. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

The question arising is basically what defines an employee. As a forum mod, no special tools were provided, no direction or training (I already had that as an admin for Stratics for 8 years), and no direct supervision structure to report to and no set work schedule (I contribute when I want to) - basically fully independent - though any mod action is reviewed in the software system.

As a moderator working within company software, special tools (Software access with a special client allowing the ability to squelch, temp ban, ban, etc. would be required), more formal training and a work schedule to insure coverage at various hours around the clock would be needed, etc. with more direct supervision to be sure you are at work at proper times, etc. It is a far different role that Discord or Xenforo moderating, and this is why it falls very differently under US labor laws.

11. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

That's a great idea!

12. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

Still cannot understand why we can have a zone chat and noble chat without any kind of moderation and cannot have a global chat. Is it not the same?

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

@Tazar he makes a good point. Why is it that your volunteerism isn't an issue?

Redacted because this discussion is becoming ridiculous.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Witcheypoo likes this.
  14. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

Unless Port are not giving you the ability to ban,or any moderate access on their official discord server then it could be argued you’re in violation of these laws. As far as I am aware you don’t have a schedule and you probably didn’t need much training.

You’re also missing that user based moderation wouldn’t need to need around the clock. It’s a suggestion / idea to allow people to support it they choose to. Also just like any chat in play now they can be turned off and people ignored/reported. It’s already in place.

Either way this is just rising around semantics at this point.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  15. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

No it is not... and unless you've moderated before I guess you'd not understand it. It's like being asked to scan your iPhone contact list vs. reading the phone book.

16. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I am sorry, but if my last explanation of Employment Status didn't do for you, I don't know how to make it more plain. It boils down to what defines employment in the US and how the State Labor Boards or Dept. of Labor looks at it vs. the laws in place. I covered that in some detail.

17. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Considering that while these are the "official Discord" channels used by the game, they were player created by a group of us (who were at the time volunteering). Port did not "grant us access here", Port was granted access. It is because of this, plus not having a schedule, someone to report to, or required training that it is allowed on a volunteer basis. It's when you are run through corporate training, have a schedule, report structure, etc. that you become an employee under labor law.

And the claim that I would be in violation is incorrect. Even if the case did not meet legal requirements for a volunteer, it would be Port in trouble, not me - and none of us want that as it would likely be expensive. Thus I don't understand the push for Port to violate labor laws...

18. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

19. Browncoat Jayson

Those choices are not really discreet enough.

20. Brian4

Brian4 Avatar

its not suppose to be real in depth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.