Is it just me or are the forums hurting for new material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Ahuaeynjgkxs nope - never played UO, don't care for PvP. The only other sandbox game I ever played was Star Wars Galaxies. And I can tell you that SoTA is far superior overall to SWG. And I LOVED SWG.

The difference is that I was never part of any testing. So 2.5 years into helping develop SOTA, yes...it's getting harder to stay the course. Phew, you need stamina to do game development...lol.

All I'll add is another analogy - this phase of the development cycle is like being pregnant and at the end of the third trimester. You've gained 50 pounds, ankles are swollen, walking is getting harder and you just want it to be over already! No sex either...bummer :eek: I get why people are crabby.

I choose to believe that it'll be ok. SoTA's due date is quickly approaching and will soon be *released..

And then we can do this all over again for EP 2-5...LMAO!

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

indeed, I think the team is doing exeptional work, I get the same feeling of steady pace than I did during UO beta... very good @DarkStarr is doing an exeptional job, again :)

That is why I weighted in when people complained about the boozy telethons, I said what the hell guys, do you realize how stressful and unnerving it is ? Let the guys have some organized fun once in a while, in a very controlled setting with friends who won't let them take their car if they can't walk.

That ended that criticism in the egg... I'm not a good arbitrator or moderator because I'm biased, but I'm a damn good PR person... help people see through different perspectives.

3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

too much discussion - why bother?

if it weren't labeled UO uccessor or people had spend so much money, but only 10 bucks - nobody would care - they would try, be disappointed, deinstall and quit!

instead we have rants, discussion, passion and hope for... what everybody would like.

I have never paid more than 50 bucks for a Kickstarter or similar EA.
    If i like it and there is things to buy to support development i spend more money.
    I joined SotA after persistence - only knowing its from R.G.
    I didnt play Ultimas or UO - i tried Pagan and didnt know what to do, i played on a UO RP Shard and hadn't the time to be as active as the admins want me to be active. I played Tabula Rasa and i liked it very much, but TR had the same Problems this game has atm, less content and nothing to do after that beside Guildwars with a bad PvP System. I never mad it to Level 50 in TR - o this was not my problem, as its not my problem that SotA has less content for players who play more than me or are more striving, optimizing their toon.
    I once called it 1st world problems. Wasn't to be meant accusing.
    I know people who play a lot, grind, min max but are happy or lets say they maybe have critics, but they dont complain, they just play there way and they play a lot.

I ask you all who cannot completely get away from SotA to try harder, if you aren't playing.
    Sure some criticism is ok and i agree or even if i dont agree, your critics are worth to be mentioned, but only once or twice and not repeatetly for month and again and again.

Yes we know you dislike so many things that you stop playing and instead complain at the forums - if things do not change quick, step back, chack again later, ask if this or that has changed and if not stay away - so simple.
    If things change, try again and if you end up disappointed just quit again.

Criticism need to be contructive - for death decay this was given 1000 times by many people - not neccessary anymore - Devs know, we know.
    And this is also true for PvP, less variance, the skillsystem, the uncloned mines, crafting and whatnot.

To endlessly repeat your disappointment doesnt make it any better and it make it not change in short if ever.
    If it changes i'm sure you will become aware of it. Until this day, you would support Devs and the activeley playing players more by beeing silent!
    Because:
    1. new players are flooded with bad critics what maybe discourage them to make their own experience (what is maybe another and better).
    2. actually active players and devs can constructively develop the game instead of repeating the same issues for month.

I just think to repeat it over and over makes nobody happy, neither the disappointed nor the rest.

4. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

There would be no discussions or drama in the Forum if we get a simple response from the Devs to the topic. But they are silent

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ha Tetsu :)
    thats true - i ask that in the priority topic

p.s. i was thinking of you, when i said that contructive critics about death decay were made - positively - believe it or not ;)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

The Dev's are silent?! :)

We are here, just cramming for the last few sprints till we get Episode 1 wrapped up... to then start adding more monthly content and working on Episode 2. Whew!
    We all still scan these forums, Starr reads way way too much as always, and we are all happy to weigh in when asked, especially if asked directly... be kind!

You may have heard me say the last 20% of the development time is when 80% of the total quality goes into the game.
    We are doing that now, but, as always, we find more than 20% of the work remains to be done in this last 20%, so we are working extra hard.

One area I am especially excited about is the new virtue and side quests that will really drive home the principles and drive players into tougher areas along the 3 main threads.

See you in the game soon!
    - Lord British

8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I just hope the baby is delivered "full term". ah, ya.. and w/o that hiccupping it's been doing

The top 10 list is good if it's delivered. It's an interesting time.

10. oplek

oplek Avatar

They have responded. Sometimes in telethons, sometimes in posts. Chris's current position on the decay system, as he stated a few telethons ago was basically - "I'm open to any better system" Because no one's provided a solution that better meets their goals, we still have the existing one.

As I pointed out earlier, someone was suggesting that decay doesn't accumulate in realtime, round the clock. It (supposedly) doesn't, according to a linked change me made a few releases ago. People in this thread have brought up the question of it affecting casual players more than hardcore players. He not only "did the math" on that in a post, but also made some changes to help in this regard.

They are listening. The answers, however, aren't being listened to. The devs are not enslaved to repeating themselves in perpetuity.

I think Chris could use a FAQ page.

11. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The issue has always been one of communication. Even when developers respond to a question not everyone gets to see it.

We really need a one-stop location to get information from the developers. Chris has a nice bloggy forum post, but for the most part, if a dev answers a question somewhere it gets buried and only the people in that thread or who come across that thread later get that information.

The Weekly SotA email/blog is a good place for some of these things, but someone would have to curate the forums for the content. There is a Development section, but from what I see, it's pretty much just scenes, new gear/housing decorations and emotes. Those are things I would classify as content. What is lacking is details with the game engine and game mechanics. Chris' comments would be good here (with some editing/expansion, I'm sure) and perhaps at the end of the week the big topics in the standup notes could be expanded for a paragraph or two with some details about what is being done. I don't think it's a perfect solution.

Mykll, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Koldar like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, there are single-player games I've kept played for years and keep coming back to, and I never get bored of them. Maybe I'll take a break from them then decide to come back later, but the games work over the long run because they have good replayability and because of that, a long shelf-life. Not really any MMOs, though. Its one of the main reasons I'm usually insisting the devs pay attention to the solo gamer experience -- outside of story content, which you complete quickly -- since most players will play solo most of the time, and I think focusing on that be what will extend the life of the game and make it last. Otherwise, all you an rely on is new content and new faces, like you said.

As for the forums...

I can contribute more topics if anyone thinks that will help ;) I actually have a txt file with a list of topics/ideas I wanted to get back to on the forums, but I've been too busy using my SotA time grinding because I'm trying to raise funding for some projects.

The forums were also a lot more fun in the beginning of the game development when we had backer participation like,
    -Writing contests, or open calls for submission, where the entries were then included in game books (cave fables, travel guides etc.),
    -Asset submissions from the player community, where players would create 3D items and show case them,
    -Things like scene jams, another form of backer participation.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Now i have mixed feelings.

Im happy you responded.
    Yet bewildered and baffled that instead of answering a thread or discussion about a real topic... you posted here.

Why would you not acknowldge the crafting questions and concerns.
    The story issues and reccommendations. The new player feedbacks of thingd people have been sayen for months.
    Why not talk about guild vs guild or pvp?
    Why not give us an actual response on the 31 page decay thread?

I mean ****... you could post what ure excited about 2 weeks ago in ANY of the threads about the story.. and it would be so much more appreciated.

I mean.. yay for RG answering a thread..
    But comeon... this thread even states the communication issues.

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Further elaborating RG..

Why not explain what th * working on episode 2 * process is going to be like? Are features being added to main game or will there be a big hold on new things n only polishs, with ep 2 acting as an expansion? All the stuff not here still thats nkw for episode 2.. am i going to get to enjoy any of that ( fishing tresure hunting etc ) this year? Same mlnth they done? Not till ep 2 released??

A little factual information goes a long way.. and if you guys are reading, you should realize its been a huge damper on the community.

Grumpy and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I will admit that since I have completed the "Path of the Oracle" and obtained my black shroud (too much mug, dish and cutlery thievery I'm afraid), that I don't really play all that much. Or for that matter, comment over here in the "peanut gallery" as much as I once did. ;)

Having said that, I do have some new material to throw out there, which although old to some was new to me and a lot of fun.

After logging in for my daily "Oracle Welfare" I decided to hop into a moongate/lunar rift or whatever we are calling it these days (stupid EA), and check out the redone Isle of Storms. I sauntered around a bit, admiring the view, while my wife sat next to me in bed asking me such annoying questions like, "Do you prefer Belgium linen or mohair for the new bar stools? Brass or brushed nickel finish." Dammit woman, can't you see I am trying to save the world here! ;)

Well, after being put through what could only be described as the Spanish inquisition of new home decoration, I was able to focus back on the more important things in life. That's right, gaming in Shroud of the Avatar. Luckily for me the rift/gate/portal thingy was able to send me to Soltown. So, I decided to head to the local Inn before I logged out and I saw @EMPstrike @Speck and List all hanging around outside. After a quick "wave" hello I ran inside and decided to play "Stones" on the piano. Next thing I know the three of them bust in and I get recruited for a four person rendition of what I think was "Teenage Wasteland" by The Who. Having never "synced" music before I funked it up the first time but got it the second, it was quite fun!

Needless to say, although this isn't something new to the game or the forums it was new to me and a lot of fun. Especially since I only planned to log in for a few minutes and it turned into an hour. It's why I love this game! :D

Cheers and thanks for reading! :)

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yep, pretty much.

I haven’t left the forums but I have felt for far far too long the “why bother” sting.

This forum goes in cycles. Any given topic will come up time and time again. It will stay hot till people give up. No Dev participation = a thread full of people talking at people and not discussing anything.

Sorry @Lord British beyond @Chris ’s blog thread we get nothing in the way of definitive answers. Unless we(I) are missing these dev statements. Then we could really use a /devtracker feature on the forums.

17. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I can't blame the devs for the lack of responses on these forums. I know Berek does an amazing job, but there is just so much smug negativity! We should be extremely grateful for how transparent the devs are and making us a "part of the team"!

These guys are some of the coolest and most talented in the business! Literal legends!

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

sadly if you look at this post alone there are 80% who see a problem and the rest ???

I will say this again delivering 90% of an item is still 100% failure.

Communication - these forums are the place General and announcements no where else should be considered as valid but . . . . .

Progress forward is not adding more content but finishing what is already there and partial.

But back to the Forum question it is clear there are to many that have just given up - and with what is coming up will not get a great response.

Sorry but the writing is on the wall. Patterns have been formed and are being seen as how it is going to go ???

19. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

... you dont blame them for not answering yet you also are grateful about how trasparent they are?

Dont know what team ive ever been on where my team mates dont talk back..

But.. kay..
    I just.. disagree with you... and im to tired to try n simplify.

Think yall need to be part of more communities lol

20. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lastly.
    ..youve made 13 posts since june 19th and now.
    I was hoping for more conversation between you and the community.
    I think its a big reason the forums always turn into playrr vs players... arguing specilative stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.