Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Is skill decay working as intended?

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Mimner, Feb 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

I ask because I just saw someone with 75 gm skills. Is this what we can expect for high level characters?

Stahlknecht and Vignir like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

he maybe not just have 75 GM's but some Billions of Pool XP too, that grant him no decay "for a while".

well dont try to catch up anyone - this game isnt about to catch up, if you went for competition with others prepare to meet people you cannot catch up and a are goodlike.
    Maybe this was intended, i dont know...

I think you can expect that some, not the majority, people will allways are way ahead of you/ us/ the majority.

iansmellios likes this.
  3. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

You can expect to see a few people around with that many or even more GM's because there was some early exploits right after going persistent where people were able to get tons and tons of xp.

After those were fixed there was people that ran control points and some other zones for very easy xp for awhile, so you will also meet people with gm's around the 35-55 range from that somewhat more commonly

Xp was adjusted down in most of those areas after that so most average players now can probably expect to see 15-25'ish gm's as thier end game.

Just my opinion but hopefully give you an idea of what to expect and why you see some godlike people.

4. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Anyone who writes control points were easy xp I suspect never held a control point. It was hard work, something I was unable to do and I have a decent level character (85) with 6GM's. The players I know with high level (100 plus) and many GM's are dedicated players who play well and play often. None are exploiters (again, the ones I know).

Hornpipe and HogwinHD like this.
  5. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I definitely am not trying to imply that anyone with a lot of gm's exploited.. but there are definitely a number who did and those are typically going to be the people you see with 50-60 or more, or even if they didn't exploit, those will typically be the people that took advantage of good xp areas before adjustments.

either way just trying to give a general idea of what you can typically expect to see for later game characters based on my experience :)

Alexander likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How many were crafting GMs? Right now, crafting does not suffer from decay.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Decay only effects you on death, and even then with 9 GM's its an ignorable amount to me.
    The decay system doesnt prevent anyone from getting 20-30-100 gm's. Just means they play a little safer and dont die quite as often.
    But even at 9 GM's playing recklessley and dieing often, it takes me anywhere from 15-40 min to replace the EXP, if im on max time since last death (max decay)

8. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

i am said person with 75gms... and i worked hard to get them, And at my level i suffer, like 400k Loss from my pool which because of my experience in game and ability to farm High end zones, i am able to maintain

Mac2, Solazur, Fringe and 5 others like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

But in reality, even at 75 GM's Thats about 1 hour of farming.
    (i can do about 350k Solo an hour at my best ) So i imagine you can do even more.

So at max decay = 400k for you, about 1..even 2 hours of grind time to make it up give or take eh?

Hardly a damper to prevent people from GMing 100+.
    Not that im disregarding the amount of work to get those GM's, just the decay effect in reality.

10. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Also some GM's = X4-10 of the exp cost of others. Some take 1.2 mil, some take 4.8 mil. some take more.

11. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

the totals of the death tax are really a pittance at the moment. I expect to see some much harher amounts in the future. its caped at 12 hours currently I believe.

Lord Ravnos and Net like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Even if you could make that up in one hour, that's still a lot of work to maintain. I'm personally not interested in grinding. Anyway, kudos to you @HogwinHD. :)

Solazur and HogwinHD like this.
  13. Net

Net Avatar

Well, the skill decay changed a lot over time, originally there was planned bigger decay on death and very small decay every time you use skill (which was supposed to mainly encourage players to use high level skills on high level enemies rather than on gustball. Pretty sure that currently there is only decay for nonPvP death. So if players paly smart or regularly it is not that hard to get multiple GMs.

Also getting dozens of GMs is much easier than getting single skill to level 150 or so. Skill level 100 is nto really the end of progress.

14. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Interesting. I seem to recall understanding decay a little differently when it was first introduced. The decay one accumulated would be applied on death or whenever one gains exp in a skill, so decay was ultimately unavoidable. Everyone would be getting hit with decay constantly while playing. That would mean that skill gain would eventually be capped, because decay would eventually rise to the same rate at which you could generate experience points. This would be a 'soft' cap because everyone's rate of generating exp is different, depending on how hard core you are. So hard core players could hold an edge, but they'd have to work hard to move their cap up above everyone else (i.e. generate more exp per time).

With decay only having effect on death, its technically possible to play without a cap at all to skill gain. Just don't die. And when one does die, even at extreme levels of skill its just a matter of time before you earn that exp back and then keep moving your total exp ever upward.

Am I totally out of line with decay? I'd really like to understand the system. If this is indeed how it works, it seems like it might encourage higher level players not to take risks.

15. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

only 75? there is players with +120 (maybe one with 143)

the only thing i can think.,. is that after reaching some skills to 100+ game came very easy .. and the only thing to do .. is kill everything.. (or maybe was use of exploits...)

now i'm able to kill all deep raven on solo (and i have just 2 skills to 100) .. this mean 300K of pool in 1 hour.. i can play 2 hours at day .. and this mean 600K .. in a week i can do 4.200.000 of pool. (without any pause during 2 hours.. this mean NO SKINNING) i can't understand how a player can move to ADV level 95 to 100... with a maximum pool rate like this... and i can't understand how control points works.. (in terms of pool received) i never do control points.. but there are just 10 enemies at time.. . and in a 6 member party... the pool receive is very low compared to 300K/H (there are very long pauses between a horde and another)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Numa likes this.
  16. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

At the highest level of a control point it was a continuous stream of high level mobs, originally. With no end. I think last I heard people were averaging 1-1.5 million xp an hour from them. Now they slowed down the spawn and added a boss. But the dmg was done for the people that could do that for hours every night night.

FrostII likes this.
  17. Urwendor

Urwendor Avatar

1 - 1,5 million xp an hour = 1 GM per hour

18. Gix

Gix Avatar

The question is whenever or not you SHOULD be able to maintain. Is THAT working as intended?

Not only that, but it perpetuates because the more skills they increase, the less risky the overall game becomes.

19. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

yes, we should, if we put the effort and time in then yes , otherwise whats the point

20. Gix

Gix Avatar

What's the point of what? Putting in time and effort? I'm saying that maybe you're not supposed to reach godly levels. If no one is supposed to reach that level, then you wouldn't be putting the time and effort in the first place.

If you're going to be playing with multiple skills, shouldn't the "jack of all trades, master of none" principle apply? Because GMing multiple skills (to that extent) is practically an anti-thesis to this.

Personal opinion aside, that's still doesn't answer whenever or not it was intended by the devs.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.