Is there going to be the SotA equivalent of a BOD system?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OverLord, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OverLord

OverLord Avatar

BODs, aka Bulk Order Deeds, became a popular endeavor for crafters in UO. An order might require you to make x items from y type materials. There were lesser BODs for individual armor slots or weapons and large BODs that would require the completion and merging of a set of lesser BODs. The rewards for these ranged from some token gold and a fun item to truly exceptional tools(with limited uses) that could craft the best armors in game. It was a fun and profitable activity for many and a great way to gate the best items behind an essential cooldown(orders could be obtained once per day). Even the collecting aspect of this system led to players searching high and low on vendors all over the land for that last order to complete a set. In fact bod collecting collaborations and groups even sprung up to share in the collecting fun, trading was a pastime all to itself.

I know this is not UO, this is an entirely different game, but will crafting professions have a system similar to BODs to add flavor to crafting?

A bit of history - Since I'm writing about this anyway I'll share a bit of UO history that led to the creation of BODs as a way to solve a new problem UO was experiencing.

In the early days of UO players gathered at West Britain Bank in great numbers, it was a trade hub and base of operations for many. North of the bank was the blacksmith hut and out front of the blacksmith hut real players stood there peddling their wares, offering repairs and taking orders. It was actually a prestigious thing to do, players tipped well for the armors so it was profitable too. I spent many a day out front of that hut, and even longer preparing suits and items in high demand and/or mining ores to process into ingots.

Fast forward to Trammel, when lands were made safe from player killing, and to item insurance. Suddenly West Brit Bank in Felluca was deserted, the blacksmith hut was deserted and the equivalent in Trammel simply didn't happen, at least not to the same extent. Why not? Because players lost less items from deaths to player killers or otherwise, they simply no longer needed the items as often. The market vanished and crafters skills were in much less demand, and that became a huge problem.

That's when the BOD system was introduced and suddenly crafter skills were again in huge demand to fill these orders, and many new crafters were created solely to take part in the BOD system. Miners could sell more ingots too, of every kind. BODs were a huge boost to the economy and fun factor in UO for many, many players. Those who hated the system could still buy the items the powerful tools made and they weren't forced to collect or craft, it worked.

I hope that explains a little as to why I hope a BOD-like system is added to SotA, players need a reason to keep making those craftable items, and a reason to keep buying them. It looks like the world is going to be consensual PvP only and so the item turnover may not be very big, such a system could be fun right out of the gate!

2. Yves Saint Laurent

Yves Saint Laurent Avatar

I've raised this question as well Overlord. Your thread just gave me really good memory flashbacks from back in the good old UO days selling my wares at the bank or Blacksmith.

I trust the developers will create something just as enjoyable for SotA but it probably won't be implemented all at once for Go-Live.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I used to collect BODs, put a bunch of the books in my rune library on the top floor here:

[​IMG]

4. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I would like to see a system of some sort as well. A few thoughts...

1. I would like the system to be designed up front* and with Single Player and Multiplayer in mind. A frustration with UO's BOD system was that it was designed late in development and was not flushed out (maybe it has been?). For example, it didn't account for crafting skills that didn't allow recycling (ingots from smelting smithed items, bandages from cutting cloth items, and leather from cutting leather items) so you still had behaviors like piles of spell books at the bank.

2. I would like to see a cooperative element where an apprentice-equivalent PC interacts in-game with a master-equivalent PC and they both benefit in some manner. This would need to be adjusted for Single Player Mode (perhaps add "master" NPCs).

* Doesn't have to be released up front, I would just like it to be considered and designed up front. Sort of akin to the PvP vs combat development timeline discussion, please don't tack it on later as an afterthought.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Crafting Quests are better than Classic bod system in my opinion.

But all in all, i REALLY want any kind of system like this. Really.

6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, No, a thousand times No... The UO BoD system amounted to the most sophisticated Lottery system I have ever played... No need to try it again, been there done that... move on...

7. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Absolutely... there was a point where that is all the BOD system represented... a lottery for blacksmithing and tailoring. The only way to win was collaboration of some sort... I GMed Blacksmithing and Tailoring on more "BOD account" characters than I choose to recall and those characters lived at Luna bank...

That said, I think Portalarium could design something better. I just ask that they consider the entire crafting system and they consider the entire range of skill development for a crafter. I would to see that a new character in Episode 5 could work with a "master" PC crafter and they both benefit in some mechanical way. Yes, we can RP apprenticeships without it...it would be nice though if designed well.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  8. VindiKat

VindiKat Avatar

Oh lord, please no BODs! They fill up inventory in houses, chests, banks, backpacks, and finally BODbooks. I agree that they are like a lottery for the crafters, and for me they were a nightmare.

I think some sort of quest line, crafting for npcs while building skill, would be so much better.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thank you and welcome overlord for the entertaining blast to the past. Sounds like you had great times also. I do hear you about needing more from the crafting in many ways and I know more recipes are coming, but they are being a bit vague in so many aspects of what's coming. So do of course post your great ideas and open up the debates so we can get crafting in that will be rewarding and fun for all. :)

10. AceBenSuited

AceBenSuited Avatar

Yes, please use NPC quests for crafting supplies. This will build skill level and not flood the market as much. And should create a floor for the "least" amount you would accept for your crafted goods. If the NPC will pay you 200g for 10 leather caps, you know you won't take less than 20g each.

11. YuriGaDaisukiDa

YuriGaDaisukiDa Avatar

I didn't like the bod system pesonally

The way I see it is this: SOTA is going for the player run game theme. All the best items will be made by players. That being said, I've always hated random rare loot drops.

I would rather see you have to kill 100 dragons, to get 100 dragon scales, then forge a hammer and anvil out of said dragon scales, basically giving you a runic hammer effect.

in short, get rid of randomness, without getting rid of work. I dont mind farming dragons all day for an epic sword, but it shouldn't be random. there should either be a quest for a know dragon that has the sword, or a way to create the sword eventually out of dragon byproducts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.