Is this real life, or is it fantasy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravicus Domdred, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I'm just wondering why so many people think that video games are actual real life experiences. If you get pk'd by a person or by an npc mob what is the difference. If you get res killed by a PK or Res killed by a NPC mob really. It is just pixles. Why do people treat characters in game like actual real life. It to me seems like something of a disorder to me. Lets separate real life from fantasy. But again, there is one tie in this game that does tie real life to this game, is the selling of goods for RL currency.

2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

If you feel it is a disorder then that is your opinion and I respect it. In my opinion, when you create a character and give it personality, a name like the one you are posting with you are entering a land of fantasy. It is your creation and some of us do feel a part of us has been given life therefore we treasure that fantasy as it helps us get away from either real life drudgery or monotony. It also allows for your imagination and creativity to manifest itself. Again if you feel that is a disorder so be it. Either way, have fun with what you do even if it means only making money IRL with it and I will have fun with my pirate creation.

3. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Well, lets see. You are "Wondering", I hope I assisted your "wondering" and now you are enlightened. When you open up a post being judgmental about how other people care about their creation in this game and allude to them having disorders I am sure you will get some rather unfavorable replies. As far as "ad homin" or any other term you want to use go for it. Sounds condescending to me and maybe you just need attention therefore you post big words to try to prove some kind of semantic prowess? Not impressed at all buddy. But have fun in your world and I will have fun in mine.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Why does it matter?

If it's obvious that it makes a difference to someone, there is no requirement that you understand their reasoning, just accept it and let them play the way they wish to.

There are playstyles that I don't understand, and have no and will likely never have any desire to play their way... I simply let them be to play their way, and ask only that I be given the same respect.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    iansmellios, MrBlight, psteg and 8 others like this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sound like you already know the answer :p

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

so what is the game you play? what is your reality here in game? Are you searching for real life or fantasy? From this post you are just attacking me and not my argument so please just discuss the argument.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well I have always known MY answer, but not others. I am just wondering if the white nights can step out of lock step and tell their own story.

8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

+1... my money, my time, my style of play. I see enough people in RL getting robbed and mugged, I prefer my "fantasy" to have minimum contact with that. To each his own, gaming for me is to entertain myself not to be someone else's entertainment.
    Ravicus you really should calm down a bit on the name calling it's below you.

Sean

iansmellios, psteg, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  9. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

*Pours himself a shot of spiced rum watching the verbal interchange and grins as he reads the story listening to Alan Parsons Project Dream within a Dream" Brother Ravicus, Lighten up. Just have fun whether its reality or a sizeable monetary investment. Just go with the flow and don't overthink it or adhomin it too much. That can have a rather unfavorable effect on your neurons. *tips his shot glass to him*

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well as a sidenote I will do that, but it does not take away the meaning of the post. If there are more bill collectors than bill payers then the bill collectors will cannibalize themselves.

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Perhaps not name calling, but you get the gist of what I mean. It's not an attack, it's an observation about how you state things and after following you all these years I think you better than this. It's my opinion take it for what it's worth.

12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes, and white Knight is a term for video game people that defend a game right or wrong without actually thinking themselves. I was not laying blame toward anyone. If you feel like you fall into that category then I am sorry I hurt your feelings. I was not singling you out. Also there is a disorder in real life that people think that the fantasy world is the real world, and it is not to made fun of such as you are doing.
    The schizophrenic experience can be a terrifying journey through a world of madness no one can understand, particularly the person traveling through it. It is a journey through a world that is deranged, empty, and devoid of anchors to reality. You feel very much alone. You find it easier to withdraw than cope with a reality that is incongruent with your fantasy world. You feel tormented by distorted perceptions. You cannot distinguish what is real from what is unreal. Schizophrenia affects all aspects of your life. Your thoughts race and you feel fragmented and so very alone with your "craziness."
    http://mentalhealth.com/story/p52-sc03.html

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sooner or later you mean ? :)

14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I do not see me making fun of anything and you seriously didn't hurt my feelings at all. It's an f'n game to me. Have a great conversation.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think the spirit of Ravicus' question though was why people get so upset when bad things happen to their character in a game. So, some people might enjoy being robbed and mugged in a game, because they don't take the loss seriously and find the drama entertaining. Could there be a fun game about surviving in a crime infested city? Sure.

I think its really about how the game is set up. If a game requires us to grind a lot to get a result, we might feel that cuts into our real life, and being mugged takes away real life effort, so we take it personally. And if a game doesn't give us a realistic way to avoid being mugged, then escaping being mugged starts taking over every other aspect of the game. Which would be fun if that's what the game was about, but if its not, then its just a disappointment.

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother Ravicus; Let me give you a concensus from my own personal perspective. I am one of those that decided to only purchase an adventurer pledge back in May. I probably have made a million gold pieces since working hard at gathering/refining/producing goods to sell in game. Does it bother me that I do not have a fancy title, a player owned town or a castle, nah. Actually I am glad for those that have it as I am sure they have put forth either an economic investment or very hard work to achieve it. Do I plan to sell my gold via Pay pal? Nah. I am having fun and have created my own in game character story which I am having a blast with and enjoy brining others into. To me, this is fun. A place to make friends, create an imaginary character (some call it roleplaying) hopefully create a large community of like minded folks with the same goal. To have fun. Again, I reiterate to those that are here with a profit making motive, I applaud you as well for your effort and risk taking especially if you have invested a large sum of money into this venture. I hope this gives you the concensus you seek. If I offended you in my earlier replies then please do accept my sincere apology. R/Boris

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

thank you, this is all it is. A conversation :)

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you have an absolute truth here. Game design. It is up to the game to mitigate these circumstances, not the player base.

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I agree that the bill collectors might want to pit against each other, to me its paradise, but for others indeed who have trouble distinguishing fantasy for reality, it can be devastating.

And who ends up paying the real price all the time ?

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I appreciate your testimony. It is not however a consensus. It is one of many peoples testimony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.