Is your POT OPEN PVP?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Poor game design, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I believe it has to be done manually, but that would be a question for Violation...

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I think a LOT of people have said a LOT that portalarium never claimed. I've also heard that people think they can force people OUT of pvp but port has never agreed to this or said it.

If you make a purchase based on speculation that's not the sellers fault. They're only doing what they've said they're going to do AND what they have time to do within their current schedule. I know the Duke+ event revolved a lot around player town ownership and they cleared up a lot of confusion... I can say that the answers we received were basically: "we're not currently planning on doing that."

That said: I get to name my town, pick a generic location for it (and a biome that matches that location), link to our sister town (this was not originally planned but they added it due to requests), force people into open pvp (this was not originally planned but they added it due to requests), pick what lot sizes I want for the housing in that template, and... the big one... pick an NPC that already exists within the game to rename and use in my town. I'm happy with that if it's all I get. Anything else is... speculated.

Keira OFaolain and E n v y like this.
  3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

It does it automatically as the cache clears... nightly I believe... :)

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

I'm not arguing for or against. I'm trying to clear up that speculation.

If every POT obeys the Open PvP flag, then this thread is pointless.
    If POTs have the ability to choose whether or not to obey the Open PvP flag, then the thread is valid. But nobody can answer this question.

If the thread title is wrong and was asking: "Will your POT be a PvP-only zone" then that's entirely different than Open PvP flag rules for POTs.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I never would've guessed that the nature of the OP would be questioned. You're either an open pvp town or you're not. There's no inbetween. There are not many town owners that have said they'll be open pvp, so I made this to ask if there are more out there that we haven't heard from.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Im really struggling to understand what your getting at.

The owner of a PoT can choose to flag the PoT as PvP. If the PoT is flagged it acts in the same way as the Brave Coast, if you go there (whether your char is personally flagged for pvp or not) you can be attacked.

If the PoT is not flagged as PvP then it will act the same was as say Owl's Head. If you want to PvP you would have to duel or in theory players who are flagged as PvP could fight each other.

I dont recall anything over and above those scenarios being agreed to or promised by any devs.

7. smack

smack Avatar

I think we should be clear on the terminology, based on the MegaPost.

PvP-zone: forced PvP, everyone is PvP.
    Open PvP: The blessing of the Oracle flag.

It's assumed POTs obey the Open PvP flag. The devs have not stated they do or don't. They're only saying you can flag your town as a PvP-only zone.

8. Drocis the Devious

An Open PVP player owned town means that any that enter the town (regardless of flags or oracles or anything else) are open to pvp while in the town. That much we know, that much the devs have said. There's nothing mysterious about it.

Duke Violation and E n v y like this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Anyway to try and put this thread back on topic. I have just purchased a holdfast pvp area that will be called The Illusive Cavern and will be accessed via The Illusive Passage.

I will give more info over the next few days on the appropriate thread :)

10. smack

smack Avatar

Please, read the MegaPost on terminology and let's be consistent.
    • Blessings of the Oracle (Open PVP):
    • Guilds (Warfare and Open PVP):
    • PVP Zones:
    I think everyone is mixing up their terminology and referring to PvP Zones as Open PvP. Even the FAQ does this, which I've tried to get cleared up.

Once we get it cleared up, I'll delete my posts or this thread can get renamed. :)

11. Drocis the Devious

That's awesome!

E n v y likes this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Im fairly sure this was done prior to the introduction of player towns, anyway I am confident that the explanations of PvP PoTs given by several people (including myself) are in fact correct.

13. Drocis the Devious

I hope you're joking, smack.

E n v y likes this.
  14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

No one is confused. The terminology isn't ambiguous... it's very easily understood. Sometimes something that is very clear is misunderstood by someone (I do that myself a lot which is why I talk things out with people). I think this might be what is happening with you here. I can assure you there has never been anything I've seen to the contrary of what everyone else has tried to explain to you and I've not been able to find any evidence that there was at any point. I think this is one of those that we can let die and allow this thread to continue on topic... it's very easy to understand what the OP wants and give it to him without forcing any changing of terminology anywhere... FAQ or within this thread.

15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I don't think he is I think it's just a misunderstanding of terminology... we all have it from time to time :)

back on topic though... I made this page on the wiki that querries player towns to see that they're set to FULL/OPEN pvp and then displays the results:

http://sotawiki.net/sota/User:Violation/PvP_Towns

Tahru likes this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm really surprised that out of over 80 player towns there only appears to be around 6 that will have open PvP...........Surely there must be more.

17. Drocis the Devious

I'm not that surprised. The game has been marketed as consensual pvp only, there's no full loot, and the combat system needs a lot of work.

The developers have also given no real incentive to make a town or an individual character flagged open pvp, other than "it's fun". So it's kind of to be expected.

I'm sure we'll see a few more pop up over time, but I'd be surprised (in the current environment) if the total ever went beyond 10% of the total player owned town population. It's a lot of additional risk, without any signs of additional rewards.

Moonshadow likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Looking at the discussed player town list https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/player-town-list.11723/ there does seem to be a handful that are undecided over PvP or not.....also that list doesnt even represent 50% of the the total number of player towns......I really hope a few more crawl out of the woodwork. Out of 80, I was expecting to see 10-15 that would be PvP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.