It's not just "Tooltips" that could use clarification and/or "adjustments"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostII, Jul 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Anyways correct statement or not, let's try to find a solution for Frost :

"Active skills gain experience as you use them. For Innate skills, using related skills will do the trick"

Adam Crow and Anpu like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"In the Spirit of"

We once heard those words said allot about our game's directional inspiration.

I also remember Lord British syaing in a promotional interview or fund raising weekend show that...
    "a player can never look at their skills at all and play the game just as if you were a real person entering into a magical new world".

Our game began it's slow slide into the tech numbers in skill's digits and saw our game's spirit slowly sink into the robotic talking points it's become today.

In the spirit of, a robot.... o_O~Time Lord~

[​IMG]

Vaentorian likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

No it isn't. I'll quote it again for you:
    That is incorrect, and I have clearly stated why it is incorrect.
    "Correct or not" A solution for Frost ?
    Oh, now it's "Correct or not" - and a bit condescending, don't you think?

The OP began as a simple comment on an incorrect scene-loading tip.
    It has been "others" in the thread who've stated that I am incorrect and that the tip is accurate, so it's not me who is keeping the thread alive with incorrect statements.

@Vesper ?
    Pls give me an example of an "active" skill.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    FBohler likes this.
  4. Vesper

Vesper Avatar

There is little sense in continuing to try and communicate here.

Adam Crow, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Apparently.......

6. Vero

Vero Avatar

It would make it a bit more clear if it would say: 'A skill set to training (green up-arrow) will consume a portion of your pooled experience each time a relevant skill is used'

put a bit more focus on moving accumulated xp from pool to an skills which is set to active learning ;)

FBohler and Anpu like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

8. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

I think folks are just parsing "relevant skill" to mean any skill specifically relevant to training, not simply relevant to execution. It's redundant enough that, while it makes the tip necessarily correct, might lead some to guess it must mean something different.

Using this interpretation I can't find a counter-example to "A skill set to training (green up-arrow) will gain experience each time a relevant skill is used".

When Rend is set to training using any of the skills relevant to its training (a set comprised entirely of the Rend skill itself) will train it. Using other skills, which are relevant to rend in other ways (a massive set including everything from Blade Mastery to Train Strength to Spellbinder's Stance) do not.

When Light Armor Specialization is set to training using any of the skills relevant to its training (a set comprised of Dodge, Evasion, Escape, Flurry, Sprint, and arguably Acrobatics) will train it. It will also train (as will many passives) by other means, though that doesn't invalidate the tooltip it just makes in incomplete.

When Blue Blooded is set to training using any of the skills relevant to its training (a set comprised entirely of the Blue Blooded skill itself) will train it.

So what is the point of the tool-tip? My guess is that it's more about explaining what the green up-arrow itself does, even simply calling attention to its existence. It's an arrow that means the skill is training. Is there better phraseology for this? Probably, there almost always is. I don't think the intention is to explain how passive skills specifically are trained, though that could be accomplished with a similar tool tip. "Passive skills set to training will gain experience through use of certain related skills or abilities"

Again, there's is almost always better phraseology, but I believe that these are two different intentions. "Teach what the green arrow does" and "Teach how passive skills are trained". As far as I can tell the tooltip in question is designed to do the former, and does so to the satisfaction of many. Would something like "A skill set to training (green up-arrow) will gain experience each time it and/or related skills is/are used" be more technically satisfying? Probably. Is it better phrasing? No, it's silly and unwieldy. Is this a particularly worthwhile issue? Not in my opinion, if I'm honest.

9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This just made me laugh so hard my face hurts.

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.