Jump working as expected?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gustach, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I find annoying that you cant pass obstacles jumping in a normal way that in 99% of games you could.

When I first press "W" key, after it I press "space bar" and there is an obstacle just in front of me, the jump only goes up, not up and forward.

This is the way it should?. Its, in my opinion a critical issue.

Barugon and Rentier like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I can't think of ANY game that moves you forward automatically when you jump... do you hold the W key when jumping? That would advance you forward. Note the jump occurs once you release the jump key (spacebar).

3. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I hold the W key while jumping yes. Thats the wierd thing about it. And I also knows that the jump occurs when releasing the spacebar, but pressing W without releasing it, and pressing and releasing spacebar, dont work for me, I can only jump up, not up and forward.

The only way it works for me (to pass an obstacle) its jump and after that, press the W key. That seems very very wierd.

I find this problem in mines, a lot.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Hmm that does sound broken, it should definitely move forward at the same time when up in the air... assuming the platform you are trying to reach is truly within jump range? This game is a little rough around the edges when it comes to jumping.. most fences and ledges are impossible, unless at knee-height. Sorry I'm not much help! I have not experienced this problem, but I also have not played since last patch! In the past, jumping totally worked as described.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

In fact, I would probably file a bug report about this jump bug, as there are a few scenes that you need to jump to take full advantage of (I think?).. I hope someone else chimes in here, I can't check my game until later this eve..

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, it's really weird. If you're running on open ground, hitting the space bar causes you to jump while traveling forward as you would expect, and will take you over fences. If you're already up against a fence, you need to stop moving, jump, then press w.

Rentier likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I just wrote a jumping book since I want to improve my jumping abilities. I have a couple of jumping puzzles in town and a book set up, if anyone wants to practice anytime. The book is located on a pedestal in Wizards Rest and yes our jumping is a bit challenging and we need to report if a part of it is not working as intended. Another thing is we did not have jump and we got it later after complaints that we needed it and also the Devs did see that we needed it too and added it as is. So it is possible to master it but it just takes practice and they have said atm it is our intended system. So as with many systems for now we have what we have and perhaps in the future and I do expect this to happen some systems may be re-visited. So much to expect from this game but not all of it before releasing ;) *cheers*

Vaentorian, Kara Brae and Rentier like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

What is important is that we get instructions and help for new players. Perhaps the journal has a tab key for help items such as;

Journal/Achievements and Tasks/Quests and what to do in SOTA/Help

Journal - we know this one

Tasls and Achievements - well this could be included with Quests but I'm hoping for an in game Achievement system so I separated it out

Quests- How questing works in Shroud of the Avatar

Help -

How to jump

How to get around in the game

Looking for group

Buffs food and potions in Sota - how do they work

Combat
    Building a Deck and how the Deck system works
    How to change clothes or armor from combat to party clothes for example

Conversation and chat Window
    Setting up your chat tabs so you don't miss whispers etc from other players

Emotes

Recipe Book and Crafting

Playing music in Shroud of the Avatar

and syncing music with others.

Talking and understanding other players who speak a different language than you do

Housing and finding a place to live
    The rental system.

So It is important that new players and existing players have things at their fingertips. Many do not want to watch a zillion videos to just know how some basics work in the game. Videos of course help to show if the in game instructions don't totally succeed but we should still have the in-game instructions easily accessible for players. Many players want to figure it out themselves. This is always going to be the case. I do that in games. I want to at first see what I can figure out and then I want the instructions easily available to me.

I met a player who did not know why he could not chop a tree when he was chopping a tree before, well his harvesting axe broke and he had no idea and then what. Well I took him to the crafting vendor and bought him a couple. He could get a notice saying you cannot chop that your axe is broken, perhaps you need a new one or need to repair it etc. We had a bit of a language barrier but I use google translate all the time to try to talk to the wonderful other players I meet from all countries. I want to talk to them too. That could be another tab we have.

@DarkStarr

edit not a criticism. I know we are doing tons of things to make all of this clearer and I love it. So this is feedback

Kara Brae likes this.
  9. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I use the mouse to walk, and I can jump up while moving, at least as high as the side platform at the Oricle... It's all about timing... I admit, if I miss the 1st time, I need to stop then jump, then move forward... Seems kind of natural to me...

10. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

This.

If you are close to someting try to spam the jump just 2-3 times, it works. Sometimes not working with first jump but this is due to the animation and the collisions boxes.

11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Fister Magee and Gustach like this.
  12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I notice speed boosts make you jump a lot better. There is a certain set of rocks that you need to jump up on to get into The Rise, I can one shot it with speed boosts but not without.

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Gustach

Small note since i didn't see it mentioned in the topic.

Jump occurs on key_up, while jump strength build up starts in key_down.

On W-hold the avatar jogs forward, while double tap WW-hold the avatar runs forward faster.

So if I want to jump something I run double-WW towards it and far from the spot I press down space building the jump strength then just before the obstacle I release the space while still holding W. That way I get length from the WW and height from holding space.

While if I'm right next to something like a wall, then if you start with W and then jump then you are really colliding with the wall and not jumping over it. Instead you hold space key to build, then just as you release space to jump you hit WW this so that you first get height and then distance without colliding with the wall.

14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Frog ring for life.

TranZdog likes this.
  15. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I know this is working like you describe. It just feels wierd, and in my opinion is a usability issue, to not be able to pass obstacles starting with W and jumping after it.

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's intentional to be so crappy because it was so broken in the other direction before. People were able to jump up the sides of tall walls and buildings, and sometimes through holes in the barrier walls of a scene. So they nerfed it in (at least) two ways: first, you can't jump unless you're in a steady stance (this fixed the main problem). This is responsible for you getting stuck when jumping around on a mountain, when you are unable to reach a steady stance.

Second, you can't jump if your toes are up against something with a movement key in that direction, even the tiniest ledge no higher than a stair step. This is annoying as hell, and I don't know what kind of problem it was intended to solve.

It's also "broken" in a third way. Because they have it so you can "charge" a jump by holding the space bar down longer. This means that you don't actually jump until you release the space bar, which I find to be quite counter-intuitive and awkward. Since you can affect your momentum mid-jump like Mario (IRL physics don't work that way), it certainly isn't needed to reduce the strength of jumps. I'd rather they did away with the whole "charged jump" nonsense.

But it's got a JIRA associated with it, so let them get to it when they can.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, it's super annoying. I've bugged it twice, they promised to fix it and never did.

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I've gotten used to the jump-on-release. It's the "oops I got too close to the thing I'm trying to jump so now I have to do it in the opposite order to continue" that gets annoying.

Rentier and Elwyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.