Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping is Performed After Spacebar Released

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by marczak, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marczak

marczak Avatar

Title: Jumping is Performed After Spacebar Released
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details:
    Jumping is performed after the spacebar is released, which isn't how jumping in games is performed anywhere else, ever. R2 notes say that jump height is based on key press length, but that isn't the case. So, after a long press, the player jumps after release.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Press and hold spacebar. Release. Note that player character jumps after releasing the spacebar, and performs no action on spacebar press.

User Specs:
    So far, only tested on:
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP111.0138.B03
    SMC Version (system): 2.16f58
    GPU: Intel Iris, 1024MB

LadyM and Orimus like this.
  2. coreyroth

coreyroth Avatar

I noticed the same and it threw me off a bit. It made it tricky to perform the jumps I wanted.

3. Lord Viator

Lord Viator Avatar

Moving to feedback, as I believe working as intended.

skinned likes this.
  4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Yeah, this is intentional. If you press and release really quick the character will do a little hop. If you press and hold the character will squat more and more gradually. Then when you release he/she will jump higher.

I don't like the spacebar as a jump trigger, but this is how its supposed to work until we can remap the controls. Hopefully in RE3.

5. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Working as intended, right? I like it.

skinned likes this.
  6. Fain

Fain Avatar

I'm not a fan. It's one of those nagging things where pretty much every other game I've played doesn't do this and there's no reason to be different.

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yep as intended. It just took me a few minutes to get the hang of it felt weird for the first 30 minutes, then I was jumping all over the place and climbing rocks and got used to it. It's interesting. They said they wanted it like that so they can change how much stamina or focus or whatever you'd expend for jumping based on how high you went, so a quick tap probably wont take much.

There is no way to accomplish this without making it so you have to release the spacebar first. It also allows for my specific timed jumps so you can hold it down and wait for being in the right spot/time to release and use it.

8. monxter

monxter Avatar

It's a question of realism really... try jumping without preparing your stance. I got the hang of it, you need to prepare for a long/ high jump for a short moment. If they implement focus usage with this it makes sense. No more mindless jumping, you need to think where you spend your energy :)

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't want realism, I want what feels right. In any other platformer, it initiates the jump when you press the button and then reacts based on how long you held it.

Arkhan and deadq like this.
  10. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

Almost every game I know of starts jumping on key_down and stops the jump on key_up.

This one is different in that you 'prime' your jump by holding down the jump key but you don't actually jump until you release the space bar.

As noted above, I'm not sure why this game should be different.

if they're going to keep the current mechanic, they should add a jump meter so you know when your jump is 'full.' This is implicit/obvious in the key_down approach because you can see when your character is at the top of his/her jumping arc.

So my vote: switch to the mouse_down model, or add a jump meter.

Sir_Niccoli likes this.
  11. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Since when is SotA a platformer? "Hello Mario, I'm the Avatar! Let's save the princess!"

Ragnabrock likes this.
  12. Somnus

Somnus Avatar

Once I realized it would do this, I must say, I am a fan. The little things that set a game apart can make a difference.

Sir Isycle likes this.
  13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Sorry but there isn't a prep to jumping unless your doing a jump like the NFL combine which is straight up. Anyone who jumps for track and field RUN and then jump, one smooth motion.

This maybe working as they intended but it's awkward and unrealistic.

14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

No, you're right. Let's make walking require a dice roll to make sure that the person doesn't trip. We certainly can't use a platformer jumping method, something that was perfected thirty years ago and makes intuitive sense.

Kilhwch likes this.
  15. Pavor Nocturnus

Pavor Nocturnus Avatar

Saints Row 4 did this with the charge-up jumping, and so I'm not only familiar with the concept, but it makes sense as well. Platformers operate by ending the jump based on key release because they have no concept of jump acceleration. You start jumping and keep going up at the same rate until you tell it to stop (or you reach max height). By pre-charging the jump, you set a smooth ascent curve that has you moving more slowly as you go higher.

16. xeoneex

xeoneex Avatar

The simple fact they DID include jumping does actually point towards some platforming. While it's OBVIOUSLY not Mario-esque, it certainly opens up a whole new world of possibilities, puzzles etc... I agree with LoneStranger, Jumping should feel comfortable, and as it stands it is NOT comfortable. So if they are going to include this in the initial release, they definatly need to make it far more comfortable and less ackward, else there is no need to have it, which then detracts from the game.

LoneStranger likes this.
  17. xeoneex

xeoneex Avatar

In addition, I find it funny how you can move while in the air, so the notion of realism went out the window. If you are at a standstill and jump straight up, you should not be able to move. Now talk about Mario-esque. Can't get any more Mario than that haha.

LoneStranger likes this.
  18. deadq

deadq Avatar

Jumping would feel more natural if you stayed in the air for as long as you held down the spacebar or until your speed or lack thereof dropped you back to the ground. In other words Speed+spacebar = how high and how far you jump.

19. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I like the way it is, I like the prep time, nice rp touch vs bounce straight up from a standing position.

20. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I never said anything of the kind. I was only poking some harmless fun at the phrase "any other platformer." 'any other' implies that SoTA is also a platformer, which it most certainly isn't. I was just joking around. I don't want a dice roll or other "table top rpg-esque" mechanism.

To the topic at hand: I tried r2 last night and I liked the jumping mechanic. Holding down and letting go didn't bother me one bit. In fact, I enjoyed it for reasons I can't pin down, it was just.... fun.

Ragnabrock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.