Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping is Performed After Spacebar Released

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by marczak, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazy Teeka

Crazy Teeka Avatar

I'd like to see an option in settings to have the jumping as it is now and also a modern jumping style that makes jumping over low walls and fences easy with just a tap of the space bar like how it is done with current modern mmo's. I don't think having the choice would spoil the game experience.

docdoom77 likes this.
  2. xeoneex

xeoneex Avatar

The jumping clearly needs tweaking, but after thinking about it for awhile, I like the idea of holding down the space to jump higher. BUT.............. What is needed is a more instant tap jump on the space bar. It seems very off to me. You hit space for a little jump and it just seems way too delayed. I can see this working if they made it so if you tab the space bar it jumps like in other games, but not as high and of course if you held down the spacebar it would jump higher the longer you held it. Another thing I think they should do is tweak the height of the tap jump slightly.

crazyphil likes this.
  3. Fain

Fain Avatar

There are a ton of games where holding the space bar equals a longer jump and it begins the jump when you first press the space bar. That's pretty much the standard jump mechanic in games. I've never played one where your jump begins when the space bar is released. The same is true when using a controller, jump begins when you push the button and is a bigger jump the longer you hold the button in. As an example, any Mario game.

4. xeoneex

xeoneex Avatar

Actually it is now that they introduced jumping into the mix.

5. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

I disagree with this statement. Jumping does not make a game a platformer, especially not when you can play Shroud of the Avatar and ignore the jumping feature completely if you want to. It is not a necessary mechanic to complete content. You're saying that as long as any game has jumping it is a platform game?

Mishri likes this.
  6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There are some fundamental differences. mario uses a quick tap as a short jump, hold for long jump. games like kingdom hearts do it too, but they have much bigger jumps. that give you time and stop the jump as soon as you release it. I actually really prefer this style, because I can "charge up" and get ready to jump without timing pressing the space bar. Also if you watch the animation you can see as you hold the space bar your character squats lower, I think that is really cool.

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. xeoneex

xeoneex Avatar

The reason I say it is, is because there WILL be puzzles, and platforming is going to be needed to finish some puzzles, unless they have absolutley no plans, but given the look of U8 and U9, there were platform elements. Yes they were horrible games for the most part but they both had jumping and in turn platforming.

8. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

They weren't even going to put jumping in till so many people complained about it not being in there. It's a leap to assume that you'll have to use jumping to complete puzzles. However, that doesn't mean they wont. Most RGPs I've played with jumping and puzzles didn't require jumping puzzles.

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. Fain

Fain Avatar

I disagree. It's awkward and counter intuitive. We've been trained for years to jump a certain way in video games. Why go against that just for the sake of being different? It seems like that's the primary reason for some of these design decisions.

10. Ao Soliwilos

Ao Soliwilos Avatar

They only added jumping because the community really wanted it, and they themselves noticed it felt like it was missing. Personally, I would not call a game a platformer as if that was it's main theme, if jumping content is only a small part of the whole game. I very much doubt there will be much, if any, jumping content in Shroud of the Avatar.

docdoom77 likes this.
  11. Fain

Fain Avatar

I know, they went in the opposite direction as to what we're used to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Reminds me of the movie "Man of Steel" the latest superman movie, he did that in the beginning ;)

13. xeoneex

xeoneex Avatar

I get that. But now that it IS in, they HAVE to take advantage of it. Add Platforming puzzle elements. It's there why not use it. If I know him, he's already scheming some devious puzzles to put somewhere. The guy who has actual secret passages in his castle home? Ya :p.

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Part of why they didnt want to add jumping was to prevent there being twitchy, platforming jump puzzles. So no, they don't HAVE to take advantage of it. Its a nice touch to make the world feel more real, but other than moving over rough terrain and jumping over obstacles, there is no reason it HAS to exist in the game.

I'm fine with the current method of hold to charge, but the tap jump needs to be slightly higher and the max charge time needs to be slightly less. Miniscule differences, really, but would make it easier to use.

docdoom77 and Lord Ao Soliwilos like this.
  15. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

I am okay with the current method being used, it works. And at least by making it a short hop on a quick release you won't have the idiots hopping around all over the place with 4 foot high bunny hops.

However this introduces new problems I am bit wary of.

The squat. Now everyone will be sitting around town squatting next to bushes or farm animals making lovely scenes..

And good lord is this going to introduce a whole lot more glitch fixing and developer attention, you can jump yourself into some pretty crazy places.

docdoom77 likes this.
  16. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I 100% agree with this quote. I love the concept of this jump system, but the prep-time on a quick jump tap is way too long. Saint's Row IV did this extremely well in my opinion.

17. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

Not a fan ..

Jumping on release of spacebar is jut not intuitive for anyone who has ever played ANY game that uses WASD for movement and spacebar for jumping.

I don't think it adds any value.

They should simply go the Guild Wars route and don't have jumping (and thus you can control where players can go) ..
    Allowing jumping throws off some of the immersion realism as you use the jumping as a shortcut.. jump over fences . jump off buildings .. etc.

Fain likes this.
  18. Sir Niccoli

Sir Niccoli Avatar

Waiting outside the "Lunar Rift" to New Brittania
    This. Only because it's more intuitive.

Or, give a fixed jump height.

It's not a game breaker for me, but it's awkward.

19. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

I'm not a fan of this "feature" either. It feels clunky to me...I don't know another MMORPG where you jump by releasing the space bar. I know that SotA is breaking new ground but this isn't the place to do it.

Darius Falc.

Fain likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

There's no reason why they can't do both and allow you to configure it either on key down or key up. Either way, you jump higher the longer you hold and release, up to some max. You only lose the wind up animation if you configure it on key down. Alternately, if stationary key up takes effect. If you're moving, key down takes effect.

prospereau likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.