Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping stopping spell casting

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Innascual Inch, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I never noticed that jumping while casting a spell cancelled it previously, is that new to R39? I don't play mage but have always used heal spells, which I thought I had able to cast while jumping.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

It's new to this patch and I really like it. In most games I've played in the past, I used the jump to cancel my spells and now it feels natural again for me.

3. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I find that jumping canceling spells is very annoying because as a melee fighter, I often have to jump over objects on the ground to get to my target.

And I often heal during the time it takes to get to my target, and so now I often have my heals cancelled.

Very often these targets(mages/archers) are showering me with damage while I am trying to get to them, so healing while on the move/while jumping is very important.

Yet another disadvantage to being melee.

Would be nice if certain spells crucial for the survival of melee players (HEALS) weren't interrupted while jumping.

Womby and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It was probably broken before and they just fixed it. All active skills (not just spells) are supposed to have a "cast" time where they can be interrupted. Jumping also interrupts.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Selene like this.
  5. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Bug was already reported. Jumping should only break spells that don't allow movement while casting (like ignite weapon, earthquake, pretty much all the long cast ones). It's been interrupting all spells however, even those that CAN be cast while moving that have short cast times, and EVEN potion drinking. Some potions have long cooldowns too so that's a major problem especially if you're trying to break roots to run away and drink a potion or heal at the same time. https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/known-jumping-breaks-casting.81198/

6. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

I like the jumping cancellation. Sometimes in a party fight I realize another party member already killed a monster I had just clicked my spell to cast on, so I quickly jump to cancel and not waste reagents.

7. Xeethrax

Xeethrax Avatar

I've used escape to cancel spells thus far. Now I oftentimes find myself unintentionally interrupting my casts. Not saying it's wrong, just pointing out there's already a way to interrupt casting.

Womby, Net and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Why would you want to use focus to cancel a spell?

Womby, Net and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  9. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

Good point, just to save on reagents, since the monster is dead .

10. Net

Net Avatar

I am pretty sure jumping cancellation was always there but there is even more spells with cooldowns now.

It is bit annoying to me, though it is nice to be able to interrupt spells, I would prefer something else. I knwo that for sure I need something interrupting accidental deck switch.

Womby likes this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You used to be able to jump whilst casting and it didn't interrupt (was on for all the spells where you could move and cast). I have to say it's really annoying now, just hoping its a bug.

Net and Womby like this.
  12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Makes sense to me, like every other game I have played. It is really odd to be able to jump and do the normal incantations of casting a spell. Lets take the Ogers for example, people learned that jumping at the right time avoids its attack which is fair game mechanics, but being able to cast at the same time does not make sense.

Least we all forget that a few releases ago, we can now move while casting many things while before I had to stand in one place to say cast an Obsidian Arrow or a heal over time. I really like this.

13. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

Agreed, I used to hop around quite a bit while casting and it never interrupted the casting prior to R39. The jumping interrupt is new, and rather problematic for my playstyle, particularly when fighting spiders, but I can understand why it may have been added (e.g. "realism" - can't cast and jump).

Darkstarr once said if a change isn't noted in the patch notes, it should be submitted as a bug, which someone has...so looking forward to getting a point of view from the devs on this.

E n v y and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.