Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Jumping...

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by jimfries, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimfries

jimfries Avatar

Please make the character jump upon hitting the Space Bar, and not upon letting go of the space bar. Or at a minimum, give us the option to choose which we prefer.

If you give us the option to jump upon pushing the space bar, you can have the time held be the factor in how high you jump. This will also (IMO) give us (at least give me), more control over my character performance when reacting to terrain when I'm on the fly, or moving quickly. As it stands now, I have to prepare to jump and have a moment before the act to hold down the space bar for a full second if I want to jump the maximum height, and I can see this causing a problem in PvP personally.

Mordecai, Kuno Brauer and postulio like this.
  2. monxter

monxter Avatar

The preparation time could be slightly slower, however jumping does require you to focus a bit and it kind of feels realistic... Whether this is a good place to have realism, I don't know yet.

Kuno Brauer and Lord Wsye like this.
  3. Margard

Margard Avatar

I like the jumping - it took a few minutes to get used to but once I did I was jumping fences pretty successfully :)

I also like it because it seems that I won't be able to run in circles jumping like a fool when I'm bored ... :p ... bad habit

Mishri and Sinclair like this.
  4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Ultima VIII :)

Margard likes this.
  5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

It works for me. You jump higher the longer you hold it.

Personally I hope jumping does absolutely nothing for you in PVP. If you are jumping it should be a death sentence. However, I am not a jumping supporter and would prefer they never added it. :)

RelExpo and Mishri like this.
  6. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I like that kind of jumping. It needs a bit exercise and a bit polish from the devs but it works and I am really satisfied compared the non-jumping ability of pre-release 1.

docdoom77, Montaigne and Lord Albert like this.
  7. Ser Alain

Ser Alain Avatar

+1 on the way jumping works. It is different enough to be original, and requires some thinking ahead.

I like this.

rild, docdoom77 and Montaigne like this.
  8. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

why does it have to be realistic? why can't it just be user friendly, seamless and fun? Are we playing some kind of medieval life simulator or something? Did the game's focus change all of a sudden?

LoneStranger and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

/me puts fountain in backpack

10. vonmars

vonmars Avatar

I like the way jumping works, one quick tap lets you do a quick hop while holding it down lets you build up for a bigger jump. I wish the buildup wasn't so long though as realistic jumping is much quicker. I'm sure it will be polished and improved upon though.

11. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

The ability to navigate the terrain by jumping will affect a battle without a doubt.
    Especially when it comes to escaping and running to cover.

12. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Nothing escape a fireball. Go ahead and slow yourself as your scramble over the wall. :)

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I can see it now :
    1. Player somehow places fountain in backpack​
    2. Fountain immediately crushes player to death​
    The addition of encumbrance and weight of objects will probably help with the fountain issue, make you walk slower rather than run while carrying it.

I agree though, there is a certain limit at which realism is no longer fun. :)

docdoom77 likes this.
  14. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Jumping takes a little getting used to because it feels laggy just because of how it's designed with the jump happening when you let go of the spacebar, but after getting used to it, I like the mechanics of it.

docdoom77 likes this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

and dodging as well!

Time Lord likes this.
  16. monkeysmack

monkeysmack Avatar

The crouch before jumping action is way to slow. I image using that only for a big jump anyway. For smaller hops I should just be able to hit a key while running to hop over something. I also found it really hard to estimate where I was going to land when jumping.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I like having the flexibility to gauge the power of my jump. Yes, it takes some getting used to and they could maybe speed up the "charging" for the big jumps, but I like not just having a vanilla jump.

I could imagine this becoming an option where you could turn off the jump on release and just get a quick, small jump on push.

18. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I actually like it the way it is. There needs to be some kind of 'cost' to jumping high, a time cost and endurance cost. I had a lot of fun with the jumping playing R2.

19. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I like the jumping as it is gives it an original and realistic feel, I would like to see a dodge roll put in though, But as to how real it would be to roll and jump in chain or plate mail is open to question, as i think you would not get up once you went down, Don't forget Knights had to be hoisted by makeshift cranes onto there jousting horses.

I would like to see more realism in that you could only dodge jump run and swim only if wearing lighter garments, or up to leather amour only, Giving more scope to playing as rogues etc, Also tied in to a stamina bar.

docdoom77 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Medieval Anachronisms, Part 3: Cranes Hoisting Armored Knights

Posted on October 8, 2012 by Amanda
    [​IMG]Visit the “Post Series” page for the full series.
    In Sword of the Valiant, the knights of Camelot use a crane to hoist young Sir Gawain onto his horse before he rides off for adventure. In criticisms of the Middle Ages, one common comment of derision is that by the end of the period, armor had become so heavy and elaborate that cranes were needed to hoist knights onto their horses. This criticism usually implies that the nobility had nothing better to do than make their armor look fancy while the peasants died in droves while fighting their lords’ wars because they couldn’t afford armor (another misconception). It is also used to make fun of the stupid knights who wore such armor because if they landed face down in a puddle, they would be unable to lift themselves and would drown (I always wonder why these people don’t consider that such a knight could just roll over).
    [​IMG]Evidence for cranes being used to hoist knights onto horseback is sketchy, if it even exists at all. The context in which cranes may have been used is quite limited. Armor used for jousts in tournaments was much heavier than armor used for battle. The extra layers of metal protected knights from injury since tournaments were a sport. Jousting injuries were common—fatalities were not. A knight in jousting armor would have had great difficulty mounting on his own, but he could have mounted with assistance. I recall once seeing a drawing of a small movable staircase that served the same function as a crane—assisting a knight to mount in heavy jousting armor—but as I have not found this piece of art again, I can’t vouch for its authenticity.
    Armor for war was much lighter than jousting armor—the same weight as, if not a bit lighter than, the weight carried by modern-day soldiers going to battle. In contrast, jousting armor allowed little free movement for an unmounted knight. Though a knight might go into real battle on horseback, he could not count on staying there, so he needed to be able to fight on foot if he was unhorsed or if his horse was killed (horse armor was so heavy as to be impractical). Jousting armor mainly protected the areas of the body at danger from a lance strike, but war armor needed to protect the body from all kinds of attacks. A joust in a tournament was normally harmless beyond the broken ribs. A joust on the battlefield was nearly always fatal to the loser.
    As before, I have no citations above because this information comes from reading several dozen books and introductions to books. However, if you need a quick reference, the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a fabulous FAQ on myths about armor.

An interesting read here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.