Just asking Devs to take a look at this and decide whatever you want

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by blaquerogue, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Skills should also be built when crafting/ gathering

Skill / Trained

Lumber jacking - Strength
    skinning - Intelligence
    Foraging - Intelligence
    Fishing - Dexterity
    Mining - Strength

Butchering - Strength
    Smelting - Dexterity
    Tanning - Dexterity
    Milling - Strength
    Agriculture - Intelligence
    Textiles - Intelligence

Black smithing - Strength
    Cooking - Intelligence
    Carpentry - Strength
    Alchemy - Intelligence
    Tailoring - Dexterity

Would love to have skill being increased while crafting

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like this as well. I remember cutting down a tree in UO and noticing a little note say I had gained a strength. It was very slow gaining everything so this was a happy day. :)

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Love the concept, not necessarily the assignments....

Skinning , IMO , rely's more on dex than int....

But, yea.... makes sense to me.

4. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

I think in order for it to work properly, then stat decay would need to be implemented as well for both adventuring and crafting skills; otherwise the stat buildup would be too high or increase too quickly.

5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah i was stuck between intelligence to know how to do it and where to cut and dex to actually cut it right either or :)

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Perhaps there is a chance for either since it could effect either. In UO you didn't know if it would be strength, It could be any number of stat raises which were attributed to the action you were doing. For example cutting down trees has you wielding a heavy axe to do it which could affect strength, and the twisting and turning and maneuvering the axe would require flexibility to twist and turn, and then you could also get intelligence to know how to do it and to also do it better as your skill progressed.

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...fecting-and-being-affected-by-crafting.42129/

But... then it was lost in Jira land, where tickets languish and where they hope against hope that one day their fairy godmother will show up and their wish will become true and they get to join a ~real~ family.
    [​IMG]

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think each action should/could work on more than one skill. Perhaps each action can only add up to 1 unit of learning, but the unit is split between two skills.

Lumberjacking, for instance, should be .75 strength and .25 dex (because you're swinging an axe to hit the same area over and over again.)
    Skinning should be .5 dexterity and .5 intelligence (nimble fingers and figuring out the best way to cut/best parts to keep)
    etc etc.

9. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

I get where you are coming from, and it was great in other games that craftsman gained base stats for doing what they do.

However, it's pointless in this game with the xp pool system. XP is always the limiting factor, not triggering skillups (though triggers may be expensive at times, training stats is quite easy IF you have the XP).

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The idea itself has some merit but why is the question?

There is already to much complexity in the producer skills and now you want to add another factor?

If you are only saying they can gain when used definitely no way.

As to how they would and could be intergraded again they are already complex enough with how to get "exceptional " meticulous . . . so adding more is just plan insult to injury.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  11. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

There will also be a problem with the two different xp-pools. Crafting got it's own xp-pool, the innate stat-skills are based on the adventure-xp-pool. This might cause some technical (but probably not unsolvable) problems with the XP/skill-system....

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Triggering skills is difficult for dedicated craftsmen, since the stats are not tied to craft skills. They only trigger using adventurer skills that you don't want to use.

I suppose you could lock all skills but the passives and go hit a gust ball, but that is more exploitive than asking to have skills that are actually being used trigger the passives.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Well a gustball is certainly one way to do it. Fighting any monster on the way to collect your chosen resource should be more than enough to spend the XP you have on stats/passives. Just about every skill (if not every) raises those primary stat passives.

And if you don't have Adv XP to spend from fighting monsters (meaning you must fight monsters to get the XP, so they should be sufficient for spending it), what's the point in having craft skills trigger stat/other gains?

XP will always bethe limiting factor unless pool/trigger transfer rates become ridiculously small and/or are no longer scalar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.