Just curious, what would it take to regain the Ultima IP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HoustonDragon, Dec 9, 2013.

?

Would you donate towards acquiring the Ultima IP?

1. Yes, how much? Take my money!

32.0%
  2. No, I just want to play the new game!

68.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

This may have been asked before, but realistically, what would it take for the SotA/RG team to be able to license the actual Ultima IP for use in SotA? Or even further, to purchase the full property from EA?

I bring this up due to the fact that while the artwork and effort put forth so far in SotA looks incredible, I can't help feeling some disappointment knowing that it will not be "Ultima" as we knew it in the past. So much of the enjoyment of the original series (for me, anyway) came from the strong and well defined history of the Ultima universe that had stretched across so many titles.

We knew and could recognize the importance of the Quest of the Avatar, and the struggle that our characters and companions faced in the dungeons of Britannia. We saw first-hand the terrors and injustice of Lord Blackthorn's regency in our King's absence. We felt the impact of our own actions against the Gargoyle nation by removing the Codex from the Stygian Abyss, and the choices we were forced to accept to bring the fates of both races together.

We saw the rise of the Guardian's influence, the fall and redemption of the Virtues, the fate of other worlds that shared connection to our own, visited the shores of lands once long lost and forgotten, and remembered the sacrifices of friends who bled at our sides. We learned secrets buried for centuries, unearthed treasures that once slew demigods and legends, and as always, faced our decisions and consequences that would continue to echo in the lands of Britannia long after we had returned to our home.

It is that rich and varied history and backstory that personally kept me so involved in the Ultima series, and can arguably be shown to lead to the huge outpouring of nostalgia and recognition that has so embraced the SotA development. There are some amazing talented people on the team, including the writings of Mr. Hickman's incredible imagination. I would like to know if we will, in fact, see that imagination expand upon the works we've known and loved, or are we looking at a completely new universe entirely?

2. smack

smack Avatar

Richard and Tracy have both given us 30 years of wonderful storytelling each on their own. I'm really looking forward to what new stories they can tell when they put their minds together, unshackled and free to start from scratch. As enticing as it might sound to draw upon such rich lore as Ultima, I'm even more interested to get immersed in a new universe.

So, no, I would not pay to get the Ultima IP back, even if it became possible through further donations.

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

They don't have enough money. If they did they price would go up. It only works if they create something immensely positive sum, e.g. RG and EA find some big thing to collaborate on.

4. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Not worth it. Money would be much better spent just making a great game than getting the Ultima name.

5. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I recognize that it would cost more, hence the reason for the question. Even if it was a licensing agreement that allowed SotA to pull from the Ultima universe, that would probably be more likely to be negotiable than an outright purchase of the IP (especially since EA is still using the name themselves).

As I said before, there is a LOT of history and backstory from the original games that led to the popularity and nostalgia that caused so many fans (myself included) to pour their backing behind SotA. Ultimately, it's the developers' decisions what they can and can't do profitably, but given the choice between a great RPG (say, Dragon Age for example) and an amazing RPG that continued the Ultima series and traditions, I personally would shell out the difference.

That's me, though. I recognize that not everyone has the same level of connection.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

@HoustonDragon ~ My friend, you have reminded me of something that is constantly on my mind. And that thing, is what a hollow, pale and sickly creature SoTA will always be, crawling in the shadow of the aging but still mighty titan that is UO.

7. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

Beautifully put but I would have to disagree! The UO we once loved and cherished is long since dead. All that remains is nostalgia and foolish hopes. SoTA is real, fresh and new! Turn away from the past, squeeze your rotund body into your new armour, and bathe in the glory of what is going to change your twisted love affair with the memory of a game that is long since dead :p

Maka and BillRoy like this.
  8. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think what they've revealed of the new map has the feel of the old ultima stuff, just fresher.

9. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You Sir, are a poet and a true beacon of inspiration. I shall peal my soul from the desiccated husk of the past and boldly face the future and whatever it may hold.:D

Montaigne likes this.
  10. JusticeKnight

JusticeKnight Avatar

I am squeezing my body like a lemon into this armor and then I am lifting the visor on my steel plate helm and sipping the puddle of lemonade juice through a hollow arrow shaft.

BillRoy likes this.
  11. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Don't forget your poisoned kryss, my friend...use it well.;)

JusticeKnight likes this.
  12. JusticeKnight

JusticeKnight Avatar

Someone will have to hand it to me as I carefully walk by Lord British, prison style, disguised as a French woman.

BillRoy likes this.
  13. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I shall be disguised as a bread vendor and the blade shall be concealed in a loaf of fresh baked, dark rye bread...it will appear to be a regular transaction between two common citizens.

14. Original

Original Avatar

I miss Iolo, Shamino, and Dupre, as well as all the other interesting companions of the Avatar.

But I feel even if they could get back the Ultima IP, there would be very little story to tell left. The Guardian has been defeated. What other story could they produce?

By starting over, they have more freedom to create new stories and new lands.

I miss Ultima as well, but I don't know if they can bring it back.

smack, BillRoy and tradyblix like this.
  15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Avatar ! Do not think thou hast defeated me! New Britannia shall also be destroyed !! /guardian voice

LoneStranger and BillRoy like this.
  16. Maka

Maka Avatar

o_O and lol. Can't get the image of bugs bunny dressed as a girl bunny out of my mind now.. "Hello Lord British" lol.

Time Lord and BillRoy like this.
  17. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

If you really want to live in nostalgia land you can still play all the Ultima games (check out gog.com) and UO is still up and running. So you can go play those and enjoy them. SotA, however, is not about rehashing those games. Its heading off in a new direction doing something great. I think its better off without the Ultima name tbh.

18. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

That's like saying you can go play "kick the can" on the dirt road behind the out-house...:confused:

Montaigne and coder1024 like this.
  19. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

Whatever floats your boat? :)

BillRoy likes this.
  20. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

it would take at least over 9000 gold and a black dye tub.

BillRoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.