Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Just me?

Discussion in 'Release 6 Feedback' started by Frost, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frost

Frost Avatar

Early KS RF backer, and finally decided to try SoTA for the first time, which was v6. I know it's still early in development, but here's my honest thoughts on the current build.
    • Currently not enough open world, with too many walled paths.
    • Why no 1st person option?
    • Want to eventually be able to walk from town to town WITHOUT using the Overworld map.
    • Liked the detailed crafting.
    • Overall really wish I had waited, and not played v6. Suffered some expectation damage.

frimsah, Drystone, Joviex and 2 others like this.
  2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Some more open areas would be nice but they would have to be made very interesting.
    Walking from twon to town without using the overland map would result in you walking through the same areas over and over again. Try for yourself. Walk from Owls Head to Kingsport and use every hex on your way (just ignore the overland map in this "test"). You will get nuts over time as you always walk through the same scenes.

Mishri and Frost like this.
  3. Frost

Frost Avatar

Thank for the reply.

What I actually meant was, I would like the option to travel in world without being forced to use the Overworld map if I so choose. The town to town reference was just an example. The Overland map should be an option available to be initiated manually by players, not a mandatory requirement. I believe this would help give the land a more open worldliness quality, greater areas of free movement to explore-if properly developed, and a less cell oriented restrictive feel.

4. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

The part highlighted in blue I definitely agree with. Why not do it like Skyrim, where you have to discover an area first, before being able to "fast travel" to it? I much prefer discovering things that way :)

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The overworld map has a purpose, a few actually. Content delivery being the main reason to not allow people to avoid it. (Lunar rifts may allow town to town for many towns)

Margard likes this.
  6. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

7. Floors

Floors Avatar

Maybe because Skryim isn't an online game that has to deal with instancing sets of players :rolleyes:

Mishri and Kaisa like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But the problem would be the same. If you would leave a city and be on the road and leave this area, the next road would load and it would look exactly the same and so on. Even if you would walk in a forest and leave the forest for the next forest hex the next area would look exactly like the one you just left...
    I doubt it would be fun walking through the same areas over and over again, aside from it being very confusing.

9. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Welcome to the Shroud Traveler

Celestial Knight likes this.
  10. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

This is very true. At least for the time being. If I remember correctly there is something like 8 different areas at the moment and some unique ones for quest related areas. (caves, dungeons, sewers, etc)

This will be expanded on in time but there is still so much to do that these are just place holders for the moment until more of the programming can be done. Once the core game systems are in place, then they can focus on adding content. The length of time it would take to make all this content different and seamless is likely outside the scope of their capabilities right now. Maybe a future endeavor but who can say.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Frost, well I'm sure you'll get more of a feel for this game as you read on and listen on. It's difficult to put it all in a nutshell for you. Have you watched the videos? because to say you are wrong in feeling that way or this way isn't going to help you see how wonderful this game is going to be, but if you read and listen you will get the feel for what is possible with this game as so many of us already have for hanging around for longer. A lot of features are not in yet. First person is coming from what i've heard. I do know how you feel, but hang in there. You will be amazed the longer you are here. Go in with an open mind and watch the magic happen.;) The developers try to explain what will be there and what will not be there very explicitly for each release and still people either don't see it or don't want to hear it's not done yet or more done, like """are we done yet"""" well NO so go fold your arms and be quiet lol, just joking there ;)

Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  12. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

hey... if Episode 1 do well then, who knows, Episode 2 might give us an Open Seamless World... just get your friends, families and even people you don't like to back the game... $45 can do a lot if it's from 1M people... ^_^

smack likes this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I can barely get people to not laugh at me when I show this game currently.

People are closed minded. It's all about shiny graphics for many many people, it's depressing :confused:

smack, Willard, Mishri and 1 other person like this.
  14. pedamimi

pedamimi Avatar

Still hate the over world map. For me one of the things I most enjoy in a game is exploring. As it is, there is really little to explore, and I tend to get bored quickly and log out. My son, who like me was in on the kick starter as second responders has already given up on the game.

Drystone likes this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I am amazed by the comments about the map still. This is not the map guys. It was not ready, don't focus on the map ;)

16. Beli

Beli Avatar

Don't forget this was a island, The mainland is not in yet.

Ravenclaw likes this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I'd not bank on that. It can't hurt to close your eyes and pray for a miracle, but even hinting that people can reasonably expect that is probably not the best idea. A seamless world is just not in the cards for the foreseeable future, both in the design sense and in the financial sense.

Mishri and Kaisa like this.
  18. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The "mainland" for Ep. 1 will itself be an island (Novia). :p If they're sticking to the development plan provided by the map puzzle pieces, I'm not wholly sure the island we're playing on now will exist at all in the final release. I don't see Owl's Head or Kingsport on the map, nor do I see any islands that seem to match the geography.

Kaisa likes this.
  19. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

There is a note in the north east of the Novia puzzle map mentioning a shipping route that goes to the Hidden Vale. And I believe the larger map of New Britannia notes something that fits the Hidden Vale island shape as well. :)

Lord Beli, Ravenclaw and Lord Trenyc like this.
  20. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I haven't seen that map yet. Do you have a link?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.