Just too hard...

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Pickwins, Aug 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickwins

Pickwins Avatar

Greetings,

as a new player I find it too hard to craft anything because the recipes are too well hidden.

Even when you found something on the internet it is difficult to utilize these hints (for example: someone mentioned kiln - but WHERE is that? The map on sotamap.com is absolutely and totally useless. If you get additional hints like a region name, you might be able to find it with the ingame map but I'm not bothering anymore).

What is the point of crafting if you are unable to obtain recipes?

2. Wen Troll

Wen Troll Avatar

You can obtain it through drops or buy it on player vendors as far as I know.

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Join a guild (like Havoc... shameless plug) because you'll find members who will gladly teach you what they know. In fact, I learned most of my emotes from other people. :D

Paladin Michael likes this.
  4. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Welcome @Pickwins

The learning curve is high and the game is intended to be hard.
    Dont get yourself into a race of progress, try to enjoy the travel and immerse into this world.
    A guild or some friends can help you, but be carefully who you choose. You can "cheat" through the game by let others spoil you everything and get you everywhere and gift you everything or you can make your own experience.
    You sure will need help and you sure will be glad if someone spoil or gift you something, but take care to not get used to solve all problems this way, you would deceive yourself for the experience and fun to find out by yourself.

To find Kiln you just open sotamap and type Kiln in the search.

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

You know you can search for place names on sotamap.com? so it will then zoom into that place? you can zoom out a bit if you wanna see a bit more of where that is,. on the popup for the place if you click on the place name it brings up the map of the place..... As it is the in game map how is it useless?

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

Friend me ingame (Numa Vorlanos) - I'll get you started on the basic recipes.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  7. Pickwins

Pickwins Avatar

Well tried that (of course). After clicking search, I get the whole map minized as answer (Chrome,Windows10)

You mean: The reason why I do not found them because they are not there? I saw the player sold recipes, but paying these prices will make level up a single profession a super expensive project.

8. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Some basic recipies are still on vendors but it seems the more complicated ones are now drops

For the map - I cant say ive had that - occasionally it does go wonky and draw slow and i give up but it should be OK most of the time.. its just a shame the guy who looks after it hasnt popped his head up since april

PS type the name and wait for the drop down in the search and click on that dont just press enter.. especially for short names...

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

http://shroudatlas.com/Assets/Images/Novia_Overland__R43b.jpg

L/13 in the middle of the map north of the vulcanic crater

recipes were spread all over the world in last release, so yes its a costy and time consuming project.
    To GM Mastercrafting someone told me you need nearly 40k of silver ore, not to speak for the rest of ressources - well for me this would take years ;)

the game has slow progression for normal and casual players, but believe me the Gold you get atm is more and better balanced than before, i make plus all the time now and i was allways a poor mage, sometimes not capable of buying my reagents.
    Recipes are costy, try to find someone who can teach you the basics and only buy the recipes that arent teachable.
    some Recipes at least need to be found/ looted now.

I dont have time atm, but i will be online in about 3 or 4 hrs and could teach you a lot of basic recipes.

add me if you want Stundorn Stureson or ask others what maybe can help out with basic recipes.

Gregg247 and Numa like this.
  10. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Majority of the 'high end' recipes are in drops. Occasionally some are teachable. That is another thing too. If you are looking for some thing always can do a zone check and see who is around and ask if anyone is willing to teach you. Like said above you can always type in the name and it will show you where it is or you can zoom in on the map closer to look around better. Kiln is near Brittany. Also Elad's Lighthouse carpenter and smith is good for recipes. I try to turn folks to easier places than Ardoris as I dont like going there and its usually under siege. But Ardoris doesnt have everything either. Send me a friend request and I might be able to teach you some recipes. Or just ask others. Community is very helpful

Numa likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome. Some recipes can be traded by players directly from the recipe book.

If you want to, pm me when you will be online and your avatar name and I will trade a lot of recipes to you.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Numa like this.
  12. Pickwins

Pickwins Avatar

ok, this all beginning to make sense. So the recipes were buyable previously but then removed and changed to drop only.

Unfortunately the way they were removed DOES NOT (!) break with the previous information that is still visible in the internet . For example: There "should be" a guy named Norman in Owls Head (and in fact: on the mini map he is still there but if you visit his shop there is nothing to be found - I searched quite a long time for him (think he is upstairs because he is visible on the map).

But now I figure that this NPC was just removed (because he sold the recipes which are now dropping).

I understand this is not the final version of the game, but removing the NPC and not fixing the mini map is beyond lazy (working as software tester and therefore knowing that the person who removed the NPCs does not bother the slightest about what (s)he is doing and nobody tested it).

Well, ok.

Back to the beginning and my original problem:

I want to create my own food (well, this is a game for crafter, isn't it?). So I got fishing up to 40 bought 2 recipes (one salmon, one bass) and want to cook my fish.
    Well, I learned that I need 'Jar of Cooking Oil'.

And to make that, I need those pecan nuts. So I farmed some pecan nuts to get it going only to learn the I need the recipe for "Jar of Cooking Oil".

Is this recipe buyable or is this a drop ?

Paladin Michael and Baratan like this.
  13. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

jar of cooking oil is flagged in my book as reteachable. that not only means it's very likely to be on a recipe vendor, it means you don't need to buy it at all. you can learn it through trade with another player OR you can learn it just by putting the ingredients on the table, because reteachable also means discoverable. that will get you quite a lot of the cooking component recipes, perhaps even all of them.

14. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

Just to clarify,as it's not my place to speak as to circumstances,but the author of sotamap.com has been away because of a real life issue. It's not like he has a choice.

15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

this is an understatement and is clear from the OPs post.

The game has started down the glazed slope to improbable for new /young players and is not going to get better.

Baratan likes this.
  16. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I think before there was a decision to remove some vendors and make recipes drops and harder to find,we should have thought how tough it would be for any new player going forward. There is an obvious level playing field on new recipes that are introduced,but as for older ones that are no longer available on any NPC vendors,it gives players who have been here longer an advantage.

Numa and Stundorn like this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sadly the recent change to recipes making many of them "mob drop only" is slamming a huge door in the face of any player who starts playing now and wants to craft.
    Since persistence we've seen more and more barriers to recipe acquisition thrown up - moving from an open, discovery system (which was unique and cool and you had to actually gather the materials and make something to learn it), to a "buy recipes" system adding another cash sink to crafting, to now, a drop-only system which adds not only a cash sink to crafting but also reliance on adventuring and the 0.001% chance of getting the particular recipe you want to drop or having to find someone who did happen to get it, and is willing to sell it, which will probably cost you a bundle for desired materials such as bronze.

I have no clue why this change was felt necessary or what it is possibly meant to achieve unless the purpose was just to frustrate crafters even more, in which case its a scintillating success.

18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I second this. They added some to supply bundles to make them *rare?* yet there seems to be no real method to the ones that got tossed in there.

Obsidian gear? Bone armor? those types should be rare drops in supply bags.

Instead they went the route of what seems like randomly picking .. and its been nothing but frustrating. \
    Im not even sure if theres a solid data base of which ones are now drop only like that.

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Well, the Obsidian Recipes are found (randomized) in chests in Hilt Fortress, where the Obsidian Forge is. Probably take several trips through now to get them all. I think that's fine.
    If they wanted to add bone armor bits to rare supply bags, I agree, that's somewhat palatable and its the sort of thing that isn't necessarily going to be made until you're fairly established due to the boss components required.
    At the moment, grinding for a few hours might get you a handful of bags, which might get you a single recipe, if you're lucky. The chances of it actually being a useful recipe, or the recipe you're after, are slim to none.

This, combined with the ....horribleness ....of the recipe book in terms of finding out what you have/need, is basically going to make every serious crafter have a spreadsheet of what they have and don't, so that if they happen to see something for sale maybe they could get it. I really think this is a step backward. I really wish they'd bring back discovery, too, as it made the most sense. Know how to make a copper sword? Use the same amount of iron and voila! Iron sword! It was just intuitive. All this recipe messabout is just adding an unnecessary level of complexity, additional clutter of items in storage, additional clutter on player vendors, inability to complete your recipe book, etc. etc. And I don't see it adding anything positive to the game. Maybe I'm just missing something, but I'd really like to know how this is perceived to be an improvement.

Too many recipes on vendors? Bring back discovery!
    Just get rid of the whole paper recipe debacle

20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Pickwins
    iirc all food recipes are still discoverable by putting the right ingredients into the table and then craft it.
    search for the ingredients , put them on the table and cook ;)
    http://sotacraft.com/

I havent tested it this release, but i was still able after the majority of recipes werent any longer discoverable to discover all my food recipes.
    and that makes sense for food, and its ok if its not working for blacksmithing imho.

there were 3 vendors in Owls that had nearly all recipes, these are now spread all over the world to vendors in differnet cities and also to be rare drops.

the Map is a integrated project from a private person who iirc no longer works on it.
    edit: oh thanks for informations @Frederick Glasgow - lets hope he will return and things went good for him!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.