Kahli: RP-PvP POT (Quest, "The Hidden Treasures of Kahli")

Discussion in 'Reoccurring & Future Events' started by Elgarion, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Just within the borders of Kahli, an ancient and forgotten city of yesteryear, you are greeted by traveling merchants, disheveled and panicked, in dire need of your assistance. What say you, Avatar? Do you take up this challenge? Do you venture forth into the lands of Kahli in search of the treasure chests scattered therein? And what say you, oh virtuous one? Do you in fact return these treasures to the traveling merchants in hopes they will provide resupply to other travelers such as yourself? Or do you horde these treasures, forsaking the virtues only just now returning to these depraved lands?

One of the traveling merchants implores, 'Stranger! Please, we are in need of your assistance! We thought taking respite within Kahli might offer some modicum of safe haven; however, as we traveled throughout this territory, our mules scattered and fell victim to the skeletons of Ravensmoor. Alas, our treasures are scattered throughout this forsaken land. Please, if you have any shred of decency, we implore -- aid us in our time of need! We beg of you! If you find any of our chests, please, return their contents to us! If you make use of these items, albeit a less virtuous choice, better you to make use of them than some of the vermin which inhabit Kahli! In fact, if you have anything of value in which you can spare, please place these items in the chest at our feet. I assure you, we will be certain to offer these items to other travelers in need. And perhaps, one day, we will have the resources we require to once again return to the Vale.'

----------------------------------------------

[[By aiding the Traveling Merchants, you have two options. Find and utilize their lost treasures, claiming them as your own. This would certainly not be the most virtuous of choices. You may also find these treasures and return them to the vendors, placing these rare objects into the chest at their feet. This way, the merchants wares are replenished but other travelers throughout New Britannia, perhaps more in need than you, can claim these items, aiding them on their journeys through Kahli and the nearby Ravensmoor.

There are 10 "Treasure Chests" Total:
    1 Always in the Caverns of Kahli
    1 Always at the Temple of the Four
    1 Always the Chest of the Virtuous at the Main Entrance
    Consider Elgarion's Inventory the 10th Treasure to Loot!

I'll do my best to replenish and move the hidden chests as often as possible, and will likely be contributing 20-30 dollars a month to the Obsidian Potions/Crowns of Obsidian utilized for these chests (which will effect my replenishment rates accordingly). Please let me know if you find a chest, by chest number, to assist in my replacement ventures, but its not necessary. ALSO, Elgarion is a chest in and of himself! Be sure to find and attempt to slay him OR as a more virtuous choice, role-play with him, for certainly the kindly wizard might grant you something for your safe journeys ahead, if you find him within the borders of Kahli and make an offer of peace and pleasant conversation. (Hint... Elgarion likes ale!)

Also, to maintain my goal of $20-30 spent on the contest monthly. Each week when I run around checking chests. If any have not been emptied, I'll add an additional Crowns of Obsidian into any undiscovered chest as I do my weekly chest verifications. If it was discovered and emptied, of course it will receive replenished rewards, but starting at the base level. This way, its almost like a lottery. No winners? That chest's prize keeps gettin bigger and bigger!]]

Choose wisely, oh Avatars, for the Oracle is Watching!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Antrax Artek, By Tor, Psyche and 9 others like this.
  2. Berek

Berek Senior Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

3. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[Excellent -- many thanks, Berek! And darn it, my Imageshack pictures keep dying! I gots a support ticket in. Hope the thread becomes perty again soon :p]]

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

Awesome idea! @Berek: Perhaps when Portalarium introduces additional support for player-created quests (containers that allow only one item per player to be taken[1] and containers with combination locks[2], for example) they could at the same time have a player-created Quest competition.

[1] A mechanism for giving only a single item to players who complete the quest.
    [2] A mechanism for only rewarding players who complete the quest, and nobody else. (The combination is gradually revealed while completing the quest.)

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[Agreed! I gotta say, I tested this concept where I was running around manually reseting chests during the telethon, and after about 3 hours I was like -- man! I'd rather just watch beer and watch the Telethon lol. So mechanisms to assist with loot distribution would be fantastic, so I wouldn't have chests go empty and I could take a little longer between moving them. I'll have to do a round of investigation today to make sure there are no empty chests out there. So far, I've had 2 claimed and reset since I issued this ad ;)]]

6. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[I just did a round of chest hunting to see if any had been claimed. Decided to do this to maintain my goal of $20-30 spent on the contest monthly: Each week when I run around checking chests, If any have not been emptied, I'll add an additional Crown of Obsidian into the undiscovered chest. If it was discovered and emptied, of course it will receive replenished rewards, but starting at the base level. This way, its almost like a lottery. No winners? That chest's prize keeps gettin bigger and bigger. Hope this eventually inspires some competitive treasure hunters to delve into Kahli. I'll adjust the instructions above accordingly as well.]]

Rhiannon, Time Lord and Womby like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

With a quiet thoughtfulness, Elgarion, the old wizard living within a repurposed Obsidian Tower in the ever so isolated town of Kahli, sat down upon the front steps of his home. A small parcel had arrived which was a rarity. Now, the roads being reclaimed by man, and the creatures and bandits being driven back into the murk of forests and swamps, couriers once again travel the roads offering their services to would-be mailers. After a light of his pipe and a few puffs of his tabac, Elgarion set to work upon the strings and paper binding together the delivery. Inside, Elgarion was pleased to find the following:

2 Golden Crowns of the Obsidian
    1 Obsidian Potion
    1 Wax Cylinder Recording of The Dance of Fawns
    1 Note of Impeccable Penmanship

Intrigued, Elgarion took to the note with great interest as he spoke to himself, "What an odd suprise. Who would send me such things?" The note read:

Hi there Elgarion, I'm writing you because I found something interesting on the hilltop near Boreus Village.

After hiking around for a bit, I found a chest near the top containing some Obsidian Relics! I'm not sure where they came from, but I figured you would like to take a look at them.

Let me know if you have any idea where they originated from. I wonder if there could be more treasure hidden nearby?

Nodding to himself, Elgarion stood after gathering the items. Bundled again within the paper and strings, the old wizard readied his walking stick and began his journey to the entrance of Kahli. There, trapped within their perpetual curse, were the Traveling Merchants. Forever selling their wares, forever seeking the return of their treasures which were lost so many years ago. Elgarion would place these items into the Chest of Virtue which lay by their side. Perhaps the merchants may take notice, and sell these items again, but likely they would not. These valuables will more likely benefit future travelers that may become lost within those canyon walls. Hopefully, they will fall into the hands of one in need and bring them hope in times of despair.

Whilst puffing his pipe, Elgarion set upon the trail.

[[Adam Crow is the first person to discover a chest, and chose the side of Virtue! The items were returned, and will be placed into the Chest of Virtue at Kahli's entrance. I hope one worthy and in need will claim these items. Take care, Avatars!

On that note, this chest will be relocated. All chests will get 1 additional item of value today. This chest, being just relocated and reset, will only have 1 item of value while all others will contain 5 items of value! Have fun, adventurers!]]

8. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[My understanding is that a hunting party tore through Kahli some days ago and found many of the chests! I'll be resetting them tomorrow and I'll provide a new in-character update as to their status ;)]]

Sara Dreygon, Adam Crow and Time Lord like this.
  9. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

The Mad Sorcerer sat atop his repurposed Obsidian Tower, looking down upon Kahli, now shrouded in an oddly thick evening mist set aglow by the early rise of Daedalus. Many pinpoints of light scurried about in the gloomy haze. Torchlights. Search parties.

"They have come," he spoke softly between puffs from his pipe.

The old wizard pondered this a moment, twirling the tip of his long beard with his free hand. After a few more puffs and countless scattered thoughts, Elgarion made notice of spectral apparitions beginning to take their nightly form, beginning to walk their nightly course. The pack mules of the Traveling Merchants have returned once again. The ghostly beasts of burden wandered Kahli this eve, as they will for all of eternity, their faint souls trapped by this wicked valley. Just as quickly as the treasures were looted by the frantic scavengers, the mules dropped treasures anew.

"A lure. A ruse? A curse," Elgarion thought to himself, his final guess was perhaps the answer he was looking for.

As his thoughts became more profound, the old spell singer brought them to voice. It was not uncommon to catch Elgarion speaking to himself in great length, and oft, he could be heard answering himself, fully engaged in conversation as if he were two individuals entirely. "An everlasting supply of wares, it seems. The Merchants likely had many mules within their caravan, but to drop such valuables each and every eve? Magic. But yes, most definitely a curse. I dare not touch one coin from these chests, for surely they are tainted. The fools... but now they come, with lust for treasure and desire for land. I must go to greet these newcomers, and bid them welcome and perhaps to offer a warning."

With a blink of Elgarion's eye, a spell swept him downward to the tower's front steps in an instant. The old man would hobble the rest of the way. Along the dark mountainous path, Elgarion whistled an odd tune with the tenor of a nightingale. An echo provided an eerie beauty to the song--a song which inspired remorse yet also hope. His step, the striking of his cane upon the stones of the path, even his breathing were in rhythm. As he descended into the mist, the darkness swallowed him a whole, and all that remained was were the sound of his steps, the clatter of his cane, and the song of the nightingale.

[[I reset the chests today -- 8 chests are up. 6 had been discovered. 6 chests now have 1 crown and 1 random reward. 1 chest has 5 crowns and 1 random reward. 1 chest has 2 crowns and 1 random reward. Thanks so much @Andartianna for leading the "scavengers" I mentioned above! I hope you guys had some real fun. If you don't mind (let me know), and I'll post the contents of the email you sent me describing your night in Kahli here in this thread. Take care all, and enjoy the treasure hunt. I'll be resetting them again next week and any undiscovered chests stay in the same location and receive an additional crown ;) They are cursed, I tell you!]]

10. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

@Elgarion you are welcome to post the contents of the mail I sent you. My guild had a great time scouring Kahli for hidden treasures. Everyone is also welcome to join Sara Dreygon and I on our weekly radio show which features a pvp challenge in Kahli every Thursday from 2:30am to 3:00am NBT/CST www.snashow.com Kill Us PVP Event.

Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  11. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[I just got the chests reset yet again -- only one was discovered. Each chest has gone up by a value of 1 Crown's worth of contents, including the discovered chest which has been reset to a value of 1. There is a chest that is now up to a value of 6! Nobody has ever discovered that one!

In an email sent to me by Dr. Zazeriz (@Andartianna):

Elgarion,
    Thanks so much for the wonderful quest chain in Kahli. I have several groups of member combing the entire area hunting for treasure. They wanted me to tell you they had a ton of fun doing the quest and are already talking about coming back again next week to hunt again. Some of my move advanced players have talk about sending donations to you of bigger prizes for you to hide. I will have them drop them in your drop box next to your Obsidian gate. We found all the treasure chests that we had access to alas we did not remember you were also a chest but we got a big laugh about missing that when I went to recheck the chest counts on your forum post. Thanks ever so much for your contribution to the community and the wonderful quest you set up.
    Andar
    Thanks Zaz! Glad you enjoyed the quest. I'll gladly place additional donated items for people to discover! There are various donation boxes around Kahli, more specifically at the entrances to the Obsidian Keep, the Obsidian Tower, and the Tavern Pavilion. Be sure to let me know you donated something and if it should be placed specific to a timeframe for an event you are hosting in town.

Enjoy!]]

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[I was just informed that Dr. Zaz had another successful event in Kahli, and 4 of the 8 chests were discovered! So that means 4 more remain until Saturday, and that morning, I'll be sneaking around to fill all the chests again (and of course, I'll be shuffling around the ones which were discovered). Thanks @Andartianna !]]

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[The chests have been reset! Currently, they have a value of $18 in Crowns or Crown valued items. Good luck and happy hunting!

Of note, there have been donations to this event by @Andartianna -- more to come for expanded prizes, likely to be added just before her weekly event in Kahli! :)]]

14. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[Either I've hidden them TOO well, or we had a quiet week. Which is okay, because now? There is $27 in crowns or crown valued items. PLUS, don't forget -- @Andartianna contributed some wonderful additions to this contest, so don't be suprised if you find someting particularly special in as many as... 4... maybe 5 of the chests.]]

15. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Aside from the pitch of night, the screech of the night crawlers and clatter of the wurgly bugs, there was the glow of Elgarion's pipe, illuminating his withered features in a somewhat haunting fashion. He sat atop his tower, rocking gently in his chair, eyes gazing out into the misty darkness as if he could see something others might not. The darkness in this world never seemed to frighten him, for his centuries long stay in Larmenius' prison was a magical, maddening darkness. In the Void, Larmenius played with the senses and sensibilities of his prisoners. But here, in New Britannia, Elgarion could relax in this shroud of black. It gave him comfort. Then a smile came, barely visible from the glow of the faint ember he puffed upon. Elgarion whilst grinning, "Ahhhh. They have chosen wisely! May those in dire need claim the treasures at the gates of Kahli, for our seekers of coin and adventure have chosen the Virtuous Path."

@Jonah Hayes
    @Andartianna

Psyche and Jonah Hayes like this.
  16. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[The chests have been reset! Enjoy my friends :)]]

17. Erich Ruhl

Erich Ruhl Avatar

*writing a message to Sol Stormlin* M'lady, I have heard rumors of a town in Hidden Vale where treasures may have been lost. I decided to investigate this place called Kahli and I am pleased to report that it appears these rumors have truth to them. I have found two such hidden treasures -- one of which was quite substantial. Please make haste to meet me at here. There appears to be abandoned outposts. I think we should lay claim to one immediately on behalf of Pax et Fortitudo and the greater PaxLair Alliance. I have two suggested areas in mind...but think this area called Angler's Hook would be a pleasant location for our avid "anglers"

I look forward to your immediate response as I wish to get a bigger operation set up and the begin a more extensive excavation of this region.

With my deepest regards,
    Erich Ruhl
    Knight Commander

Elgarion likes this.
  18. Sol Stormlin

Sol Stormlin Avatar

*opens message* "Hmmm," Sol Stormlin reads with great interest and sets the message down. "Cambria, we must be off soon." Sol stands and begins preparations for travel. Cambria Stormline looks at her puzzled, "Well aren't you going to tell me what this is about sister? Another hasty adventure?" she glares at Sol. "Well, it seems Erich Ruhl has ventured into unknown territory. It also seems, however, that this place may be a great prospect for Pax et Fortitudo." Cambria thinks on this and looks out the window at her garden. "I would travel with you sister, however I have other business to attend to. Please send word when you arrive." Sol nods and embraces Cambria then sets off into the sunset.

Elgarion likes this.
  19. Erich Ruhl

Erich Ruhl Avatar

Erich Ruhl paces back and forth near Kahli's tavern in deep, frustrated thought.

"Three treasures found today," Erich reminds himself. "There are definitely riches to be found here."

"Sol will just scream when she finds out where I discovered my latest find," chuckles at the thought then reminds himself the wrath he will probably actually face. "We both searched that same area -- four times for me, alone. There must be more that I've probably searched several times over but probably failed my 'Perception Check'," as he remembers the old days back home playing some great fantasy role-playing game. "I sure don't miss rolling fumbles; yet, that's what I'd probably be doing right this minute if I actually had a set D20 on me right now."

Erich notices something just out of the periphery of his sight, behind a bush next to the outdoor-air tavern. "What's this? A hatch?" Erich suddenly switches from his frustrated mood into elated excitement. "Now, let's see what we have down here."

Through several floors, all he finds are various work stations to create many possible things -- until he finds a pair of chests. "Damn, this one is locked tight," he mutters back in frustration. "What do we have here?" as Erich realizes the other chest is easily opened. "Hmmmmm, lots of blank sheets of paper and books or journals waiting to works of written art to be made. I might want a couple of these. It's been such a long time since I wrote stories back in the Fleet."

As Erich places most of the pages back, he notices one with writing on it. "Oh, I wonder what great story someone has started here," he thinks as he takes a seat on the other, locked chest.

"These words are strange," he thinks as he tries to voice out the cacophony of letters and decides to give up after a few short minutes, yet he also feels a shiver run up his spine. "That feeling, somewhat familiar like when I cast my light. I bet I could find a translator somewhere and then know what these words really mean -- what power they may hold."

Erich suddenly jumps as the paper he was holding mysteriously disintegrates into a pile of ash.

The next day, Erich travels to the Elysium mine; his target, the lower levels where he remembers silver ore can be found, knowing he needs this in order to work on trying to masterwork gear he is learning to make. Amongst the shiny ore, various crystals are lodged into the walls of the mine. Erich refuses to leave them behind.

Several hours later, tired from swinging his pickaxe, Erich returns to his home in Caelestis Canton and admires the jewels he collected this day. "Something is not right", he thinks. "I know I collected more than this. Must have dropped some as I placed them in my sack. I was getting very tired though. Then again, maybe I just didn't get as much as I thought."

Elsewhere, in the Mad Sorcerer's tower in Kahli, Elgarion cackles in delight. "It seems someone has found my carefully crafted scroll. Good," he hisses. "More treasures to add to my hidden chests. More treasures for adventure seekers to find. More treasures to draw more Outlanders to Kahli."

Elgarion likes this.
  20. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[[My friends! The chests are been restocked! Each chest not discovered (5 this time) received 1 additional crown and a gem courtesy of Pax et Fortitudo and crew! Now the 8 chests contain a combined Obsidian Crown value (sometimes there's an obsidian potion instead of a crown for instance) of 21 crowns, plus due to @Andartianna 's previous contributions, 2 artifacts and an additional obsidian potion AND due to @Erich Ruhl 's recent contributions 8 gems and a few food items! Enjoy the hunt oh Avatars! But beware, soon the hunters shall also be the hunted. (That's just an assumption that at some point, there might actually be some PvP going on in there lol)

Hint: there's always one in The Caverns of Kahli and always one in the Temple of the Four.]]

Erich Ruhl and Vox Aquila like this.