Keeping simpler?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrBlight, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

-----
    While suggesting a PR person handles PR seems like a pretty standard request.. let me clarify my first part, while trying to keep it * simple *.

RG is claiming that with the NUE updates player retention is at an all time high. Could Port elaborate on their current pop, and how they feel the retention rate of new players has increased? Maybe using actual stats, And if its not to complex, maybe talk a little about other details and plans to continue to keep that retention % increasing?

Maybe this could lead to some community input on otherways to prevent loss of new players, as we see come up with bugs and other issues in the start of the game.

And to clarify.. when i say retention...( maybe wrong word for it? ) but i mean attracting a new player who then goes on to become a daily player. ( not just play 2h then never open agian )

---
    I imagine the rate that players buy from the trial, and go from new to daily is tracked through development and will be closel6 watched with release. Might be nice to use the community to keep pushing that % by prioritizing issues they r finding with new people, who only a small % take time to come and give real feedback vs chat in game quick.

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Actually RG answered the % question in the telethon. If I remember correct it is about 6%. That would mean it is 3 times the average retention of roughly 2%.

Elwyn likes this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

( apparently i cant quote mods off other threads.. but in regards to https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/transparency.112296/#post-958754 ) -

Granted im on mobile .. and im seeing 6% being the average for MMOs. And higher for bigger brand names.

If sota is doing 6% thats solid dont get me wrong.. but any chsnce of a link to support the 2% being average?

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

No. I can just tell you from the top of my head. I have been a sales guy for most of my life before I switched sides and became a complaint manager ^^ 2% is the average flow back for pretty much everything sales related. But that number might have changed of course or its just a higher average for mmos. I just heard it in the telethon when RG mentioned it. Last hour or so. Sorry for not being more precise but I really don't remember when the question came up exactly.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@MrBlight, perhaps queue this up as a question for the next Postmortem rather than expecting a Dev answer in the open forums.
    The Postmortem Q&A is the path of least resistance as it's the channel they've established specifically to answer Avatar questions. Historically, while they've moved to a format where they answer very few questions during the actual Postmortem, @DarkStarr regularly assembles a forum post a few days later with the 'missed questions.' I actually prefer the Missed Questions post as it records the answers so they're more easily found without needing to replay a Postmortem recording searching for a particular moment.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    jammaplaya likes this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have never seen them produce hard numbers in the time Ive been here and I have seen it asked a LOT of times. I dont think that kind of information is going to happen. I think the issue may be that ya, maybe they are retaining 6% but its not like thats 6% of 100,000 people (just watching the numbers on the main site over the past 2 years), but its probably more around 6% of <500 people. Statistics out there like Steam still show that there may only be a few hundred people actively playing the game still (using Steam). Im not digging on the game here, Im just presenting facts and data as I have seen it over the past few years. I also think they are on an upswing and will be for several months as all the old backers come back to give it a shot again on release. But they also did this upon persistence and faded quickly. Im not seeing any kind of marketing campaign out there anywhere that makes me think a bunch of people are being made aware of the game release, is any one else? Wheres the marketing campaign (especially considering we have weeks to release)?

7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have seen over 300 people online just on my friends list at once, so I am pretty dam sure there is over 500.

8. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Well if they would have said 200 people bought the game lately I would have been surprised... Percentages are not really giving us a true indication if this was a success or not ;)

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And what does it matter, I don't play a game because its popular, I play a game cuz I have fun playing the game.

Elwyn and Volman2003 like this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I have no idea what they are doing.
    But tell you something: you want more exposure for the game?
    If the agents of shield fans managed to Twitter another season out of ABC I am pretty sure we could at least help to promote the game if we really wanted.
    Just saying. This is not to silence you, dont get me wrong please. It just came to my mind right now.

Elwyn likes this.
  11. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

I was encouraged by the telethon last week, when I noticed that roughly 500-600 people were watching the Twitch channel throughout the 4 hour show. Since I'm sure not everyone watched the entire thing, that means viewers who left were replaced by other viewers, meaning even more players were actively engaged in a single gaming event on a specific day. I would assume these are more active players, as opposed to the great majority of occasional players who didn't know about (or didn't really care about) the telethon.

This is not a very precise way of measuring player population, but it showed me that we have more players here than I'd originally thought. (I wonder if these numbers are higher/lower/the same as previous telethons?)

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There were over a thousand on Discord, which was up about 10 to 15% over the last few postmortems.

Elwyn likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

There's a ton of alt bots on those feeds though, from people with lots-a alts trying to win the prizes :)

You can tell by just looking at a lot of the names.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yea, but even with 600 people the average cash donated was 166$. Thats still higher than what i expect the actual average is.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That's 600 people at one time. As someone else mentioned, there could have been a total of 2K-3K people actually cycling through the post-mortem. But even then, average (Mean?) wouldn't work on those chance are the vast amount of sales are $5-$15 per account and then some very huge big sales. For example, I logged in with my 2 accounts during it and made my $5 purchases without even watching it.

EMPstrike likes this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Appreciate honest reply.
    Only other number i can find othrr then 6% for mmos seems to be mobiles at 15% past the 2 months.
    And ive wanderd on world map alone for hours?
    Id actuslly be curious if they would give an accurate % off steam agisn like they did 8 months ago. ( it was 40% then ). With free trials it may be closer to 20 % id guess ? Which still means at a 200 steam peak, in 6 months, you had 300/1000 * online *.
    So i can only imagine your friends list if you saw 30% of the current pop. .. as no events have hit those numbers.
    But okay.

Kind of why itd be nice to see real numbers and maybe start discussing how to increase that retention rate , bring in more. Especislly with * release * wherr it will be a one shot go for s lot of people.

Agreed.

Exactly why it wasnt a question to the players.

Holds to my assumptiom steam is 20%. And hell even i watchex that one.. last one before release. Im sure it was a mix of people not currently playing as well * and some thinking about coming back n such *
    Also this.
    Preach did a ghetto poll on forums and it was VERY surprising amou t of people with 5+ accounts. I doubt thats chsnged in last few months. So that skews everything too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.