Kickstarter - Handmade Grimoires

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Sep 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Ok, normally I'm not one to share different projects on here, but this one is so cool I know there are some of you who might be interested (I'm looking at you @Time Lord :D).

Like our dear @Lord British I have always had a dread fascination with the macabre and unusual. Especially as it relates to historic grimoires and texts. The more bizarre the better. As an avid collector, I have collected dozens of such books over the years much to my wife's dismay! :D However, I want them in either their original form (which can be expensive) or at a minimum as a hardcover reproduction (sometimes hard to find). Then, about six years ago I found Steven Metze's first Kickstarter.

Steven decided he too wanted a number of esoteric old texts, but in a fashion that resembled how they would look, smell and feel as if they were made back in the 14th, 15th, or 16th century. Since then he has done four Kickstarters, all of which I supported and were completed. Some of the books he recreated were: De Furtivis Literarum Notis, Book of Nine Scribes, Malleus Maleficarum, Polygraphia, and The Fourth Book of Occult Philosophy by Henry Agrippa, just to name a few.

This time he is doing a new story based Cthulhu spellbook of his own creation, but the real gems are the Voynich Manuscript and a historic bestiary called The Noble Life and Natures of Man. They all look incredible and as such I thought I might share with you all here in case you're interested in this sort of thing, lord knows I am! :)

At any rate, the project just released today and is already funded, so go check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1178965847/cthulhubook3/description

Time Lord, Tahru, Ysold and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

You used the magic word there: Voynich manuscript!

I've been fascinated with that for years and have even tried for a while to add my bit to the decipherment. Now if only I had unlimited time.....
    The Voynich manuscript lead me to other esoteric texts too, mainly to see if they could help with making more sense of the contents of the manuscript. I found for instance a digital copy of Agrippa in translation, some of Paracelsus, and some Picatrix, and of course lots of less esoteric material like Materia Medica and Trotula.

I'll definitely look further into Steven Metze, but I see a hefty pledge is needed to get a nice copy of my favorite manuscript of all times :)

Thanks for sharing this information with us!
    Ysold.

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I know, it can be a little pricey, but I can attest as one who has over half a dozen of his reproductions they are well worth the price.

Plus, The Voynich Manuscript, be still my heart, to have an authentic copy of this daunting and fascinating text is a dream come to true for me! I have been fascinated with it since I was in high school and my father and I watched a History Channel documentary about it! :D

Here is a great YouTube documentary I watched recently on it that you might find enjoyable! :)

Time Lord and Ysold like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Looks like someone was cataloging plants in elvish, then got a bit randy.

Ysold, Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I have enjoyed this book. It's scripts remind me of Thai-script which was derived from "Old Khmer" and it also reminds me of Thai-Sanskrit which has influences from both (proto)India and (proto)China as well as (proto)Arabia.

If the The Voynich Manuscript were a biological study or description, it would best suit the South/East of Asia, as there are many strange by western standards plants and animals. Yet if we are to go down the rabbit hole of assumption with that aproach to it, the manuscript's illistrations look like a Van Gogh style. Further down this rabbit hole we could further assume it was written by a Monk of the S/E Asian area, and monks come in "many different flavors", in particular of these are Thailand Brahmin, who are famed as having collected or traveled throughout India/China and all S/E lands, ending up in far S/E Asia (Thailand is one) because .... well... "burn the witch!"... as they are also astrologers and fortune tellers, or in other words "Time Seers", which is allot like remote viewing while using stars to navigate through to see what they see into.

A western equivilant as western cultures depend more heavily on math and measure much more than abstract, can be placed such similar human envisionments (for example);

When humans look through spiritual eyes, we see things and even read and write things which are not always understood by the there after reader, because they don't speak or read the unique laguage the writer is reading "as they see".

From India to S/E Asia and even as far west as Arabia, "abstracts" become more prevalent the further East one travels as is eveident in such differences as in and between the Ramayana to the Ramakien. Both are considered real events by the Brahmin as well as vast numbers of others as well as Hindu. Throughout such Brahmin styled cultural writings and stories are depicted plants which kill or heal and animals of both high and low order as well as minor creatures and flora. A Brahman styled Monk of old, would sit and fantasize for days, years and lifetimes, with some recording what they see.

~@Cordelayne :D~
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~

(BTW: if my English sounds and reads like it's failing, that's because I'm speaking more Thai language in my life, which is like trying to speak English upside-down and backwards with a totally alien accent :p so sorry!)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Umire Moon and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.