Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Kill Stealing rewarded/encouraged?

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Smalls, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Because currently, it is the only way to play :D soon the single player features will roll in and change how many play the game.

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

What!!! I play SPO all the time... No one has ever jumped my kills, there's no one around but me, I've played OPO too and it's kind of hard to actually find someone, running around to all the different scenes that I do... The offline version should be good too, but I can't run my vendor...

3. Phydra

Phydra Avatar

Actually, I agree with you. It's just that, left to their own devices, people generally prefer to grief than collaborate in a competitive resource environment right up until the cost of competition is more than that of collaboration.

So the key is to incent collaboration. Naturally, this means you and I are in agreement on the hoped outcome. All that remains is to find a reasonable way to do so that, is no more immersion breaking nor less than immersion breaking given today's general audience expectation - the 80% commonality over the 20% lack thereof.

In today's general gaming audience for this genre, that 80% is onus on design and development to find the "happy medium". The 80% on this topic is avoidance and avoidance as a mechanic is lock on first aggro.

This means people who genuinely want to HELP can do so and without any expectation of reward (that IS why you're doing it, right?).

It also means that people who genuinely do NOT want to help will help in spite of themselves until they learn they're not getting anything out of it.

Win-win.

@DarkStarr

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think helping someone or some group kill should give you partial xp, if not also your own loot table. that partial xp should not be removed from the original killers xp, either.

being a fully persistent world, i think the loot tables should not be replicated - but all parties who did the killin should have access to it somehow.

5. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I totally agree, or at least if someone helps, they get maybe just a tad .... Last hit gets all the exp is simply Stupid ..... as an archer it takes me longer to kill, I would quit in a heart beat if I kept losing exp and stuff from the drop due to griefers taking my kill... TOTALLY HATE THAT....

zyxe and reesian like this.
  6. Noric

Noric Avatar

This system is just as griefable by players that tag every mob in sight without killing them when other players are around.

7. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Ohhh I think we meant slightly different things.. I too play SPO primarily, but there really are very few 'interesting' things to do, imho. For the SPO player anyway.. like myself. I've taken up PVP and going to social events because I'm so bored lately! It's a different kind of fun, and has forced me to MPO it more, but I wonder about my playing habits (and others like myself, maybe yourself too) what happens when finally we have the open world and quests and things to 'do'.. i dunno.. so much to dream about yet.. and I've been waiting for a couple years now (or it feels like it) to play more involving content that there is currently.

It would be nice to WANT to be in MPO mode for normal PVE activities.. I don't think I'd play MPO if I was competing for nodes or kills. Not while the choice exists :p imho

But usually, I'm in SPO enjoying the empty world for mobs and nodes, unhindered by competition... grinding and gathering.. hoping my effort is rewarded with the 4x bonus next wipe :p doodeedoo

8. reesian

reesian Avatar

It's been 18+ years of MMOs. Why is there a struggle on how this should work? Copy World of Warcraft. Do what they do when it comes to this problem in particular.

9. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

If they are just going to do everything WoW does, why don't we just go play WoW?

Here's how I see it:
    • XP should be split based on contribution (accounting for the contribution of support players (thanks @Cirsee)).
    • Gold should probably be split up equally amongst everyone participating (maybe other stackable things, like regents, too).
    • Items should probably go to whomever loots.
    This gives some advantage for being the looter/finisher, some based on contribution, and some based on being a warm body.

Also: some are ranting about how they never play MPO... Frankly, if you never play MPO, why do you care at all? I mean, it doesn't affect you.

Noric and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  10. reesian

reesian Avatar

Nobody said do everything that WoW does.
    What I am saying is...why reinvent the wheel? There has been years of different systems. Pick one.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Because some would want to play MMO if there was a point, over the other reasons why we don't? I can see the value of letting ppl steal your kills.. but I am not sure I wouldn't be one to take advantage of that and start taking kills for the XP.. they can have the crappy loot :) so I'd be concerned opportunistic players are at least monitored or hindered from stealing kills or loot.

Or is that part of the 'fun' in an MMO? Tell me.

I mean, this thread is only convincing me to go to MMO and try enhancing my XP game with this 'tactic' lol.. so it is encouraging a new MMO player perhaps? :D but not the desirable sort I imagine..

Womby likes this.
  12. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

That logic can be applied that to every decision to be made, but when you're done, there's no point in making a new game. If you want to talk about the relative merits of a system that's fine, but saying "just do what they do" because you don't want to look into what can be done better is just intellectual lazyness.

You'd have to ask everyone individually what the 'fun' of an MMO is. Fun is subjective. But if, like some of what I'm seeing, you literally spend all your time in SPO, and have no intention of ever playing MPO, or only doing it for special events there is really not much reason for you to care. I spend the vast majority of my time in MPO, a little in FO, and almost never in SPO (I think I've done it once, maybe twice), and I intend to keep doing that. I want a fairly logical and somewhat balanced system, because it does affect me.

Fister Magee likes this.
  13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I never said I'm against or for either method of preventing kill stealing.. but I feel my opinion matters, whether I play MPO exlusively or not. I am especially interested in what other things I can do that might make me want to try MPO, so far, kill stealing is the top of my list. :(

I think that it should be prevented.. but I know the 'human interaction' game will suffer for it.. so I'm also for this sort of chaos. No easy answer.. but if things stay, I know I and many others will resort to kill stealing for fun or profit.. not sure what should be done.. :) but I'm gonna go have some fun until I can't.

And what about when the bots enter?? :) Then we'll be all trying to figure this situation out again, no? Or will the bots play on SPO? Maybe the bots won't care to play this game?? But I'm sure they will.. I guess griefing is more of a human activity.. but If a bot were made to 'work within these contraints' of MPO...

14. Noric

Noric Avatar

I like this. It alleviates some of the abuses while leaving us the open interaction world that we like.

15. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I think part of the problem of "Kill stealing" is mostly that some are thinking of it like that. When I ask myself, "Do I care if someone beats on my critter for a while, and why?" the only answer I get back is "damnit, stop making everyone think you're crazy by talking to yourself again!" err.... right.... I mean "only because it's an all-or-nothing thing, if it were proportional, I really wouldn't care." That's why I think the best response is not to make it impossible, but make it less annoying.

Fister Magee likes this.
  16. reesian

reesian Avatar

Why is this game using the WASD setup? That's intellectual laziness. Why is this game copying that mechanic? We should just go play WoW. Assigning mob rights is a basic idea, not a revolution in gaming. Try and kill steal for reward in WoW.... it's not abusable. That's not a bad place to start.

17. Noric

Noric Avatar

Its both boring and inflexible as ideas go.

Oninoshiko likes this.
  18. reesian

reesian Avatar

What is the answer in this scenario? Your group is fighting a mob. Some random guy comes up and starts killing away at the mob without your groups consent. What I am reading is... "give that guy some gold and exp." That's crazy talk.

Fister Magee likes this.
  19. Noric

Noric Avatar

If you are extremely concerned about a group encounter going wrong... friends online makes sense. In the case of anything except a boss - odds are the loot from it is trivial, as is a 1/8th xp that they would get... and then the mob would respawn again. They could also do something like make it flag you pvp to loot a corpse you had nothing to do with killing(or less than 5% damage except if group with the party killing) and that could let the group resolve things nice and quick.

20. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

So instead you should put up an artificial barrier because... wow did it? who's talking crazy here?

We aren't even talking about 1/8 of the exp, unless your party is REALLY bad, someone trying to "kill steal" isn't going to have contributed much to the fight.

Noric likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.