Killing Cultists in the Soltown Catacombs - Huge Loss in Experience Pool Why ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by agis3140, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agis3140

agis3140 Avatar

Hello im suffering bad losses in my adventurer experience pool by killing cultists in the Soltown Catacombs, went from like 50K down to 25K in no time, is there a bug or something.. there was no skull diffuculty at the gate to the catacombs so thought that was ok, however even with my 2 handed sword, I have trouble killing 2 let alone 1 of them, theres something dodgy about it. How do i get my adventure xp pool up again.

This game has gotten so hard to get any xp gain lately

please help.

Agis

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You have to many skills set to train go look at the tutorials, and any of the numerous posts about this exact topic.

You need to Manage your skills.

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

4. agis3140

agis3140 Avatar

damn UO you didnt have to be good at maths, ever since the wipe, my character is in the crap, last time i played it was a level system now its all micro management, getting harder to play - the mobs i get skill pool on i cant hardly defeat them without dying, this needs to be seriously addressed.

when you die you lose xp

when you accidently run into a bunch of mobs under your skill pool level , you get penalised

by the time you get to a mob that will give you xp, you already have lost majority of your Adventure Skill Pool, was like 70k yesterday now is only 26k.

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

You just need to not train too many passive skills at once pretty much.

6. agis3140

agis3140 Avatar

Im getting lost, its changed so much since i played in july, gotten more complicated to play, im just using all my blade skills, 2 handed blade, healing for mobs , heavy armor for my armor, dex cause my dex sucks ...its like my character is had it untl the next wipe, so pissed off

strength is 28 , dex is 14 was 10 before today, int is 10. Adventure level 31 and going down

and half the places i go have no skulls at the entrance like eastreach gap just to get the mailing to deasoris, owls head mine, catacombs, necropolis (too hard for me) etc.

7. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Your adventure level does not go down ever. The main drain on your pool is likely from training all 3 attributes + healthy + blade and heavy armor innates at once. Also you are maybe fighting things that you need to hit too many times before it dies, try dropping back to something slightly easier until you can deal a bit more damage and miss less (dex + adv level).

8. agis3140

agis3140 Avatar

I think i may be able to rescue my character by turning off most my passive skills, ill do some experimenting tomorrow, The epitah was not gaining any skill points either (until you hit the troll room which almost killed me in a couple of hits), im going to turn off all my skills except dex and str and slowly turn on and see if i gain pool points, anyone knows what happens when your skill pool is 0 btw (you said you dont lose levels, wonder what happens) , Im starting to slowly understand how the pool works, you only level up when the pool is full i suppose, my production pool is quite healthy atm . adventure pool is down to 20k now.

Even though its too late to follow the new players guide just posted about locking skills which sounds interesting to try after the next wipe. Also how can you increase to need blade tree, trainers i have found its greyed out even though i have qualified. I think this new pool xp might work out in the end (balancing skill usage than having a skill cap like UO), but further experimentation may be required and alot of time wasting testing certain methods.

cheers:)

Agis

Themo Lock likes this.
  9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

There is more game balancing ( skills ) to be done but in general things will not be so easy to level up for the future, I really recommend the guide Themo gave you https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...what-is-going-on-a-sota-leveling-guide.41503/
    It really is good and gives insight to whats going behind the scenes..

The micromanaging part should be reserved for those who wish to power level up ( level up quicker ) at master levels though I think for the most part the average user/player will not need to be so concerned with it as its not the main focus of the game.

Themo Lock likes this.
  10. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

It can be tricky, there have been times when I turn off all skills, just to rebuild my pool. Look me up in game names Insinsious Fizzlethorpe. Ill take you to a few spots and pool up some xp for you to get back on track.

Themo Lock likes this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Each skill you are actively training gets a percentage of the adventurer experience pool to help it level up each time you use the skill. If the experience pool is down to zero, the percentage that is applied to your skills is also zero and your skills will stay at the level they are and not improve through use. That is why the devs say that practicing skills on a gustball is only a temporary measure at best. When you bash it over and over to level up a skill, you are depleting the experience pool and at the same time getting less and less of a boost to the skill with each consecutive bash (because the percentage that goes towards improving the skill lessens as the total volume of adv. experience decreases).

Themo Lock, Duke Raas and 4EverLost like this.
  12. agis3140

agis3140 Avatar

I understand a bit more how it is, time fore my next play through ill try to manage my skills a little better though, I dont use a gustball (saw it in one of the vendors inventories) I just go to new player (1 skull) areas to cut down trees etc., a harder level up strategy is good news however because it makes the game more challenging, im gonna read the whole of themos post, but some parts are focused on hidden vale only, some stuff im not mathematically minded and some things he mentions goes way over my head, its also pretty diffucult to make gold this release, took me ages just to make enough to buy a two handed sword of haste (2.3-3k) from a player vendor (seemed most other swords are over 7k gold) I used the dual weld training swords from Solace Bridge at the beginning of the game until then, because its hard to make gold now than it used to be when i played in june.july.

4EverLost and Themo Lock like this.
  13. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

There are also a couple quests in Soltown that offer a good amount of starter coin as well. Just talk to the NPC's and ask "May I help you".

Kara Brae likes this.
  14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Luckily it is not necessary to be mathematically minded to manage skill training. You only have to observe the adv exp pool shown at the bottom of your screen. When you mouse-over the bar you can see the exact value. If it is going down too fast you can lock some skills for training or combat more difficult mobs that give you more experience. In theory, if you don't care about levelling up your skills as quickly as possible, you can simply ignore the experience pool altogether and simply enjoy playing the game. I say "in theory" because higher level areas will remain closed to avatars who don't have the skills to survive in them.

The quickest way to earn adv. experience and gold as a new player is to complete beginner quests. After that, a good place for a new avatar to earn gold is the skeleton area in South Valeway in the Hidden Vale (keep to the right when you enter the area). The skeletons give good loot for a new avatar to sell, and you can get to the area without crossing paths with the deadly small spiders. Tip: the deco vendor in the Owl's Head bank building pays more for the weapons loot than the blacksmith does.

Mordakai and Themo Lock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.