Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Chatlog: Still no way to discern line types/emotes and chat are identical

Discussion in 'User Interface (Including Launcher)' started by Umuri, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? Yes for localization
    Details:

I consider this a bug only because of previous conversations where it was stated that something was planned to remedy this and as we are approaching launch this is becoming more imperative. Currently there is no way to identify in chatlog what a given line is, without extensive parsing/regexping, and knowing the language. While for english this is, right now, a mostly livable situation, it makes translating any chatlog parsing into other languages very different as its not just simple word replacement.

In addition, there is no way to differentiate between chat and emotes except by context clues.

Proposed Remedies:

Easiest:
    If the chatlog would simply log the "Channel" that the logged line is occuring on, using the existing breakdown in the chat window in-game.
    NPC/Local/Zone/Combat/Emote/ETC.

Hardest but Most Useful:
    For any localized line, if a localization number could be pre-pended to the chatlog, such that say line #172 is always a glancing blow in any language.

Even just those few simple divisors would make it much much easier to localize player tools into other languages.

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

This was submitted via JIRA the last time you posted this as a bug report :)
    @Umuri

Umuri likes this.
  3. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Good to hear, thanks @Lexie , just wanted to make sure it was still on the radar and not where jira's go to die while I was reviewing my list of longstanding issues. Since we have filtering by channels I was hoping at least that we could get some stop-gap in before launch, as even that would do wonders for localization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.