Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Death Shield causing square graphic artifact

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by jspiers667x, Nov 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

1. Title: Square white artifact created from Death Shield effect
    2. Reproduction Rate: Randomly occurs
    3. Blocker? No
    4. Details: Occasionally the spell effect for Death Shield will cause a white square artifact to pulse outward from the character. It starts small then quickly pulses outward into a fairly large square. It only happens when your character is moving. It happens both in scenes as well as the overland map though it seems it may be happening more often on the overland map now. Dismissing the spell stops the artifact from appearing until the next time it is cast. Restarting the client fixes it for a little while, but it seems to always come back. It started happening after fighting in a scene for about an hour. This started around hotfix 699 or so.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Cast Death Shield during combat.
    6. User Specs: Win-10 64bit, i5-7600k, GTX 1070 (Driver v388.31)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vallo Frostbane likes this.
  2. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

As an update, when I quit out of the client, I had Steam verify the game's integrity. It found one file and re-downloaded it. I'm not sure if this was the cause however, since I had to log out of the client and that typically clears it up for a time.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

4. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

Thanks. Didn’t see that post. I’ll check it out in-depth when I’m back in front of the computer.

Alley Oop likes this.
  5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I can repro on live but not internally. We will continue to investigate.

jspiers667x likes this.
  6. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

It's odd @Lexie .. Sometimes it happens within a few minutes of adventuring, some times it happens after a few hours. Next time I see it, I'll cancel every other buff I have 1 at a time to see if it's a particle effect interaction with something like the strength buff.

7. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@jspiers667x
    You make a good point. I also had strength and a few other buffs going (but who doesn't). including ice shield and chaotic feedback. Seems once it happens it will continue to happen off and on until the client is restarted, so looking for the first trigger of it is important to note.

Also check if you have anyone else in the scene with you. Normally I play with "nearby players" up and when I saw it start to happen there was someone else in the scene. (That could be a coincidence...)
    It is also entirely possible this will be fixed with upcoming R49, considering the luck I've had to repro it internally :) But that has also happened before with prior "white square" issues. Tricky little beasts.
    We will continue to review as well. Once I have repro steps that work internally (100% of the time) we'll know this bug is still around for a future build, and I'll submit. But hopefully it's just on live and will be fixed shortly.

8. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

Good call with Nearby players. I can't say for certain if it has happened in "Multiplayer Friends Only" mode or not. The next time it happens, I'll definitely make note of everything I can think of so we can get this one smashed. With not being able to reproduce it in the internal build, it's probably already taken care of in r49, BUT it's still better to gather as much as we can in case it shows back up in a later release.

Lexie likes this.
  9. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

@Lexie

So I just had it when I came out to the overland map from a scene. I left South Ravenswood and headed north towards Owl's Head. I cancelled every buff except Death Shield and it had no affect.

Now, interestingly, The white square would only appear when moving in a direction between just northward of due East, and just northward of due West. Any movement in a southern direction wouldn't generate the square, just moving any direction towards the north side of the compass.

EDIT:

As soon as I saw it on the overland map, I checked for nearby players and there was one. The scene I happened to be in originally was empty save for me.

10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

lexie gave it a number in another thread

Lexie and jspiers667x like this.
  11. jspiers667x

jspiers667x Avatar

Nice! I figured Lexie was on it with this thread’s conversation yesterday.

Lexie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.