Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Distracting Misc information (yellow font color) is still shown in dialogue window ...

Discussion in 'User Interface (Including Launcher)' started by Paladin Michael, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

3/13/2018 9:28 PM
    Title: Mics information (Option toggle "Misc" in Chat window) appears in dialogue window.

Reproduction Rate: 100%

Blocker?--

Details: Misc information, like "Player X is on/offline" or "The item ... doesn't seem to be doing anything" ... appears inside the dialogue window, while talking to NPC. This is very distracting while talking to npc and following the storyline.

Steps to Reproduce: Talk to an NPC, wait for friended players who logg in/off or just use the Replnishing Obsidian Potion of Guide or the Artisan box of Plenty ...

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16335
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU RAM: 6052
    SotA.EarlyAccess.QA.Win.64.645.Date.03.13.18
    Area: Novia_R1_City_Soltown
    Area Display Name: Soltown
    Loc: (-33.9, 26.8, 19.5)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9Tb2x0b3dufHwoLTMzLjg5OSwgMjYuODM3LCAxOS41MDcpfCgwLCAwLjg2NiwgMCwgLTAuNSl8MjE0LjY2OTd8MjcuOTg1MDh8MTg=

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    smack likes this.
  2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

I've submitted this, but please do not be surprised if it comes back by design. I feel this has come up before. We shall see.
    Bug #: 56677
    @Paladin Michael

3. Paladin Michael

Well, Lexie: if it is by design it makes no sense :(
    We have a separate chat window for all information.
    Why should the Misc information appear in dialogue window, while we are talking to npc and following the story?
    Thank you for your response :)

smack likes this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

I completely agree! If it is by design, it's a poor design imho. The NPC dialog window should be free from extraneous info. We already have a chatbox spambox for that stuff.

[​IMG]

Paladin Michael likes this.
  5. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The spambox chatbox does not appear when the conversation UI is active, which is why important time-sensitive messages are echoed to it.

6. Paladin Michael

Well, @Lum the Mad, why must these
    appear?
    What's the reason for it?
    Who cares about "Player xyz is on/offline"?

What about an icon for online(!)mode (like this one for over encumbering or broken stuff?) or a kind of auto fading small tab with symbols for "Friend online" "Message" "Repair needed" "..."

I think all not dialogue/story related information shouldn't be shown up in a dialogue.

The story should it be worth to enjoy it without distraction ... it's a great one :)
    [I know you know this :)]

And for offline mode I hope all of the chat options are toggled off by standard, also the underlined keywords inside the text ...
    This would also be good for online mode when new players start the game and get introduced in the intro and starter scenes.

smack likes this.
  7. smack

smack Avatar

I disagree. The whole reason why this NPC dialog box was made separate from the chatbox was because everyone complained there was too much going on because everything was spammed in one window and everyone wanted to see just the NPC dialog by itself. Plus, anyone that wants time-sensitive messages will very likely already have the chatbox pinned and will see these messages.

Please reconsider this. I'm sure you can find another way to convey time-sensitive messages (however that is defined) in another meaningfully contextual way that does not clutter the NPC dialog window.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.