Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Dragon won't stop flying.

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by null2, Sep 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. null2

null2 Avatar

9/29/2017 1:18 PM
    Title: Dragon lands, but immediately takes off again
    Reproduction Rate: varies
    Blocker? No
    Details:

Last release you fixed the dragon so it wouldn't stay in the air the whole fight. Well it is staying in the air the whole fight.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Fight the dragon in Southern Grunvald Barrens with a melee character.

when the dragon takes off to go into its flying/fire spitting mode, back up from it a bit

You will see that when the dragon finishes spitting fire from the air, it lands, then turns away from you, runs away and flies again.

Here is an example:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178407994?t=8m30s

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 24487
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8110
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.664.Date.09.29.17
    Area: Novia_R4_Desert01_01
    Area Display Name: Southern Grunvald Barrens
    Loc: (-119.4, 168.3, -145.8)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjRfRGVzZXJ0MDFfMDF8fCgtMTE5LjM1NSwgMTY4LjMxOSwgLTE0NS44MDgpfCgwLCAwLjg1OSwgMCwgLTAuNTExKXwtMTY3MDAuMTF8MTkuOTE1Nzl8MTQuMjQ3NQ==

2. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Watched the video, thanks. Looks like he did a flight -> land -> flight cycle 3 times in a row without an attack. It does recover though after that and resume normal attacks. Is that a fair statement of what you are seeing? Please try the next patch out now too... #665 and let me know if that does anything for you. Thanks.

3. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

I think if i were a dragon and someone was trying to poke me with sticks, i would stay in the air too.

Just putting it out there. . .

4. Scrambler

Yeah, no sense blowing fire if you are getting poked in the belly - Taking to the air, or doing more short range melee attacks would obviously be more advantageous :)

5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Scrambler - With 665 I had the same thing Kor was talking about occur. I will see if I notice anything else that's strange.

6. Scrambler

Ok, so that narrows it down. Did you see more that a 3 cycle land / no attack / takeoff? Something that looks stuck for a longer period?

I'll need to test with the repro steps mentioned...

Thanks for checking into this. We had a few issues this release that were causing large issues with dragon pathing and leashing. Now that those are fixed it should be easier to figure out what's happening.

Edit: after watching video again, fairly certain I know why it's happening and how to fix. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    AvatarGG and Trihugger like this.
  7. Boedy Arc

Boedy Arc Avatar

just for let you know.....go out of sight then he will come to get you...... :) but of course fight like a men.... not like a helicopter think that have to come on list of changes....

you can vist me on dragon.....can be so easy like all caster enemys....out of sight :)

Trihugger likes this.
  8. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

It was exactly the 3 cycle fly -> land -> immediately run away to fly again. One thing that was worth mentioning was that when he ran away in those 3 loops he was running at a reduced speed, between his normal walk before being engaged and full on sprint when he's chasing you.

9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yep, its even worse now. Stood there for over 30 seconds waiting for it to land and come back to me, horrible. Back to bow for dragon I guess.

10. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

@Scrambler - Ok after playing with the dragon a little more let me explain all the things:

1) Sitting and waiting for the dragon results in the 3x loop of weirdness. Dragon also runs slower while he's doing this.

2) Chasing down the dragon as he's landing gives a coin toss chance of him beginning to behave as he had been or running off like a derp in slow-mo.

3) Sometimes after you chase down the slow-mo version of the dragon he will also un-derp instead of flying and start attacking on the ground normally, other times he will indeed fly up and you repeat the same cycle.

4) At most the dragon will only repeat this weird run away and fly behavior 3x.

11. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Does anyone have any video of the dragon in the most recent build I can include in the most recent bug report?
    I ask because often times people stream dragon kills anyway :)
    Thank you.

Edit: Attempting to use melee, I should add, not bows

12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I was only able to see the dragon *begin* to act as described once with 667 @Lexie. Basically it started to run away slow-mo style, but promptly turned around to melt my face when I caught up to him and started attacking. I only put in maybe 30 minutes of goofing off late last night with it though so not really many iterations tested. It is working better though, at least.

13. Scrambler

I looked into this a bit over the weekend, yesterday and today I spent a good amount digging into it. The problem is more involved than I had hoped. I'm opening a ticket so I can work on this for the next release. Sorry there isn't a quick fix that I feel comfortable checking in for a patch.

BUG: 51422

14. null2

null2 Avatar

I don't usually watch my bug reports, so had no idea about the responses here.

The video shows the loop about 3 times, because it is difficult to reproduce. I had fights with him where he would do it indefinitely until I moved (5+ cycles).

I will try it in whatever patch is available right now and post the video.

Mac2 likes this.
  15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If you chase, he will just keep flying and fireballing from the air. You have to sit there, eat 3-6 fireballs, then when he starts to land, run in on him. Tiggs gave me that last tip, ty tiggs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.