Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Dragons flee & flight

Discussion in 'Release 45 Bug Forum' started by Purie, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purie

Purie Avatar

1. Title: Dragons can get stuck in flight mode shooting endless fireballs and flying around without comming down
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details: Dragons can get stuck in flight mode shooting endless fireballs and flying around without comming down
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs:

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Purie
    Have you fought the dragon since the release this morning and observed this?
    Reason why I ask is we had a bug for this recently that should have fixed this.

3. Purie

Purie Avatar

I did kill few in 650 and same thing happening in 651

4. Purie

Purie Avatar

@Lexie Whats actually happening is that if the dragon is in flight mode and you run under it. It will continue stay in flight mode and "flee" mid air. I've just had it shoot 10 fireballs until I ran really far away and it decended. Previously it was 1 fireball and it came down

5. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Well, now that I think about it, we might be talking about different dragons. You can always use /bug at the location and we'll have more information to go by, and you will be saved some additional typing!
    (More info on this command is at the top of this page)
    Are you referring to the Southern Grunvald Barrens, dragon, dragon that can appear in random encounters, or the three dragons that spawn together?
    @Purie

Thanks for the info btw!

6. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

As for the Southern Grunvald Barrens Dragon:
    That's maybe no bug... the AI was changed a little bit.
    Now the dragon stays in air longer and shoots several fireballs.
    Maybe a bit too long since it is now much easier for ranged to kill the dragon.

The "stuck" bug was something completly different. The Dragon previous to this new Release often was stuck on the ground doing absolutely nothing.
    Now so far it seems fixed.

Lexie likes this.
  7. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

Yes, AI was changed. This release we wanted to keep the dragon attacking longer w/o transitioning to ground -> flight -> ground.

As for balancing the combat difficulty of this we will iterate on the actual boss logic with the combat guys.

8. Purie

Purie Avatar

As I can tell if I chase them/try to get even tiny bit closer. Dragons will continue staying in flight mode. If I just stand still he shoots random amount(few up to 10 or more) fireballs vs old 1.
    Fighting dragons (all of them have same AI Behavior) with melee becomes quite bothersome. They can stay in the air for 30secs while you can't do anything and they can just repeat that behavior over and over again.
    Difficulty didn't really get increased. Atleast cap the duration they stay in the air as player behavior can affect it. Pretty sure the new flee system works during air time.

9. Purie

Purie Avatar

As far as i've been testing all dragon AI and behavior is same. So doesn't really matter which one.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yep, its all dragons, and I just finished doing up blades to kill dragons, unfortunately, this change just screwed melee for killing dragons. Want to give me 100% return on my skills I just wasted all the exp on to kill dragons seeings how this change directly effects my build?

11. Scrambler

Part of this is by design, but there's a related targeting bug that is making them misbehave.

I can reproduce the issue, but its not limited to dragons. The problem is actually related to targeting, during melee combat npcs are losing their target, which is causing a failure. This manifests with the dragon easily because its got a sequence of melee attacks that are now unable to complete, and aborting. They go back to ranged combat immediately.

Bug #: SOTA-50352 - I have a bug fix for this. Thanks Purie.

12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Thank you Scrambler. Were trolls also included in having this bug (since they're also a mob with a ranged vs melee AI)? Once they started running away they pretty much kept running away until I finally killed them. I will see if I still notice the problem later. As it stood, Torc'dawl was entirely too scary to mess with since one rock to the face was game over.

13. Scrambler

I can imagine the troll had the same issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.