Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Flashing white screen on launching R46 OS X mac client (until "Play" screen renders)

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by mfroman, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfroman

mfroman Avatar

1. Title: Flashing white screen on launching R46 OS X mac client (until "Play" screen renders)
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? no
    4. Details: Every launch since R46 mac client starts with wildly flashing full white screens until the initial "Play" screen is rendered.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Open SOTA launcher, click "Play", see flashing white screen for several seconds. Happens on either 10.12 (laptop) or 10.11 (desktop). Happens with steam client or native mac client.
    6. User Specs (laptop):
      1. OS: Mac OS X 10.12.6
      2. CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8) System RAM: 16384
      3. GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M370X OpenGL Engine GPU RAM: 2048
      4. SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.OSX.64.672.Date.10.04.17

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. This is currently known, and something we are investigating for a fix.

3. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

As an FYI this is less likely to happen in windowed mode. It also seems to go away if you force the game to use METAL via the command line (although there may be other graphical anomalies):
    Code:
    $> ./Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar.app/Contents/MacOS/Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar -force-metal

4. Gix

Gix Avatar

Code:
    open /Applications/Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar\ -\ Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar\ -\ Launcher
    Was the only way I managed to get the game to launch from the Terminal. " -force-metal" just gave me an error:

Code:
    open: invalid option -- o

Usage: open [-e] [-t] [-f] [-W] [-R] [-n] [-g] [-h] [-s <partial SDK name>][-b <bundle identifier>] [-a <application>] [filenames] [--args arguments]

Help: Open opens files from a shell.

By default, opens each file using the default application for that file.  

If the file is in the form of a URL, the file will be opened as a URL.

Options: 

-a                Opens with the specified application.

-b                Opens with the specified application bundle identifier.

-e                Opens with TextEdit.

-t                Opens with default text editor.

-f                Reads input from standard input and opens with TextEdit.

-F  --fresh       Launches the app fresh, that is, without restoring windows. Saved persistent state is lost, excluding Untitled documents.

-R, --reveal      Selects in the Finder instead of opening.

-W, --wait-apps   Blocks until the used applications are closed (even if they were already running).

--args        All remaining arguments are passed in argv to the application's main() function instead of opened.

-n, --new         Open a new instance of the application even if one is already running.

-j, --hide        Launches the app hidden.

-g, --background  Does not bring the application to the foreground.

-h, --header      Searches header file locations for headers matching the given filenames, and opens them.

-s                For -h, the SDK to use; if supplied, only SDKs whose names contain the argument value are searched.

Otherwise the highest versioned SDK in each platform is used.
    I'd love to try it out in metal, but I don't know HOW.

5. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

Two things: i) do not use the "open" command, and ii) you're actually attempting to open the launcher, not the game application. Try this from the same directory:
    Code:
    ./Applications/Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar\ -\ Launcher.app/Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar.app/Contents/MacOS/Shroud\ of\ the\ Avatar -force-metal
    The game .app itself is nested within the launcher so it can be a bit tricky =)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.