Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Game Freezes intermittently in Linux

Discussion in 'Release 37 Bug Forum' started by Sorthious, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Title:Intermittent game freezes in Linux

Reproduction Rate:90%+

Blocker? Yes, but only when it freezes..lol

Details: The freezing occurs most often before I actually get into the game. I am fairly confident that it is due to a subpar USB 2.0 Wifi adapter. But, I figured a complete lock-up of the game warranted a bug report. I sometimes will completely lock up while playing the game, but, as I said, it is normally after the title screen has appeared, and before actually entering the game. It has gotten worse with release 37.

If I am able to quickly select everything and get into the game, I am normally fine after that, though as I said there are times, even in game, where the game will freeze and I have to kill the process to shut it down. I still have control of the mouse, and music, if playing, continues. When players perform music from ABC files, that seems to almost gaurantee a freeze, or close to it. If not the music is very choppy.

As I said, I believe it's a cheap Wifi adapter I bought and I have ordered another one and will update here if that resolves the issue. I figured that the game should, if anything, stop and shoot me an error message('your connection is too slow', 'your connection keeps dropping out'), rather than lock up. Thanks in advance for any insight into this problem.

Steps to Reproduce: load game

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15732
    GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) GPU RAM: 512
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.511.Date.11.21.16

2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This is quite peculiar, and not an issue we're seeing internally.

When you see this happen, could you please send in your player log of that event? On Linux, it ought to default to:
    ~/.config/unity3d/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar/sota_log.txt

3. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I have no 'sota_log.txt, only a player.log. After I killed the process, this appeared at the end of the player.log:

Code:
    Importing game controller configs
    UnloadTime: 1.625000 ms
    GameManagerSceneObject.Awake. 12/15/2016 5:10:01 PM
    Platform assembly: /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Managed/System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
    SystemInfo: graphicsDeviceName="Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) ", graphicsMemorySize=512, operatingSystem="Linux 4.8 Ubuntu 16.10 64bit", processorCount=4, processorType="Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz", systemMemorySize=15732
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.519.Date.12.14.16, LocalTime=12/15/2016 5:10:01 PM, Patch=North-Brew-5
    LanguageManager: Setting Language=English
    PreviousApplicationExit status=clean
    Pathfinding: Init
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/LightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libLightFX.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./LightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libLightFX.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/LightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libLightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libLightFX.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libLightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libLightFX.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libLightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./LightFX
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libLightFX
    Steam Initialized: True
    Changing real window size to 1440 x 900
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/user32.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libuser32.dll.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./user32.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libuser32.dll.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/user32.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/user32
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libuser32.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./user32
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libuser32.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/user32
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libuser32.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libuser32.dll.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libuser32.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libuser32.dll.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libuser32.dll
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libMonoSupportW.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/./libMonoSupportW.so
    Fallback handler could not load library /home/sorthious/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SotA/Shroud of the Avatar_Data/Mono/x86_64/libMonoSupportW.so

4. Attenwood

Could you send the full player.log file to rromero@portalarium.com the next time you close the client after seeing this occur?

5. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

sent....There is a patch downloading, I can do send a new player.log after the patch if you need me to.

Attenwood likes this.
  6. Attenwood

Only if the issue isn't resolved by the new patch

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

@Attenwood , the game is still freezing after patch. I've had freezes since I started playing but I though that was due to my under-spec'ed computer. I'm thinking it's an issue with my wifi adapter, my integrated GPU, or something in the game itself. When I first built this computer I had a couple freezes, but it seems like it is getting worse. I've had problems with the wifi dropping connection and I would have to reboot to get it working again. I've run stress tests on this computer to test for hardware issues but found none. Hope this info will help narrow down the issue.

edit: I sent you a 2nd player.log

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

There may be an option to disable power saving mode on your WiFi adapter which may help the situation (did for me with a similar issue).

9. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I checked iwconfig before, and the power management was already off. I paid $8 for a TP-Link 150Mb/s nano. I did some research and read that others had the same issue with this particular adapter. I went ahead and ordered a D-Link 300Mb/s. I can then test and see if it is an issue with the adapter. Regardless, I don't think it should be causing the game to freeze up. I figured it would give an error or something.

Thanks so much! I found a link, using your link, to fix the problem(at least for now.) I bookmarked the page. I had to deactive the N-Mode of the driver which seems to be buggy. Thanks to praseodym on Ubuntu formums.

Code:
    echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv iwlwifi
    sudo modprobe -v iwlwifi

Damn, I ordered a new adapter...oh well, guess I will have a backup. Anyway, will repost additional info if the problem continues, but I am not freezing up while trying to get into the game anymore!

10. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

ARRRRRGGGGHHH@!@! I take it back, it didn't work. Must have been a fluke that I was able to boot the game up and not freeze during the first test. Back to the drawing board.

11. Archer

Archer Avatar

If it is an option, you might want to allow the GPU to use more RAM. 512MB is not a lot for something like SotA

12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The GPU is set to automatically allot memory as needed. I have plenty of memory to share with the GPU. I have put the game on the lowest settings and still get freezes. If what you suggest was the issue the freezes would occur during intensive gameplay, not on the load screen. At times, I have seen the game using 9gigs+ of memory and no freezes. 99%+ of the freezes occur trying to get into the game, not actually playing it. Once in the game, I sometimes get hitching, but that is normally in places like Ardoris. Regardless, my system meets minimum specs, so the game shouldn't be entirely locking up. Thanks for the idea though! (^8

@Attenwood. Ok...I tried the game hardwired to the router and still got freezes. I also recieved my new wireless card, which also made no difference. I can't think of anything else on my end that would be causing the issue. Anyway, if there is anything else I can test for you, or do to help isolate the issue, let me know.

13. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

With release 522 I can no longer get into the game. If I can get past the opening screen(s) freezing and get onto the loading screen, the game gets to 50% and the game is either frozen at this point or has stopped loading.

14. Attenwood

More log files for 522 behavior would help. Thank you, and so sorry for the crashing issues you're obsering. :(

15. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I fixed the issue. I first tried reinstalling the game and that did not fix the issue. Next, I reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Then redownloaded the game and the issue was fixed. I am now getting heavy hitching(even on fastest setting), and sometimes 2+sec freezes, but the game eventually recovers. So, the issue, I believe either resides in Ubuntu 16.10 or the Mesa drivers I was using. Maybe I screwed up installing the Mesa drivers. I'm new to Linux(I used Linux years ago, but a lot has changed), so it's possible I messed up the driver install. Anyway, hope this might help with internal testing. If you need any more info, just let me know! :)

16. Attenwood

Thank you for the rereport.

Re. the hitching and performance issues, where are they occurring? If in towns with heavy decoration load, this may be a known issue.

17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Well if @Sorthious has reverted to the Mesa stack which comes with LTS then performance will be worse in any case. For what it's worth I run 16.04 LTS on my AMD laptop with a 4.9 kernel and latest Mesa and the game works OK (better than before) as long as I avoid busy combat scenes, even then it's the 'suddenly spin me round by 180 degrees' control bug which causes me to die more often than any framerate issues (because suddenly having your back to an archer leads to a lot of crit damage). I did have issues with the network connectivity a few months ago, but I turned off power saving and that fixed it.

18. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Hitching occurs everywhere, not constantly though. Most notably in towns however.

The hitching makes it harder to spin back around to face things properly, but it isn't too bad. As for kernal and mesa drivers, one of the two, I think, were the root of my freeze-ups. This made it so I couldn't even play the game. I am so new to Linux and still getting used to command line, and troubleshooting issues. When I read up a little more on it, I will retry upgrading and getting the new drivers. I have a feeling I may have screwed up the install of the Mesa drivers. Anyway, I'm able to play pretty comfortably right now, the hitching is minimal if I put it on 'fastest' settings. This will work until I get a new video card(I hope...lol)

19. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Most likely something in the kernel to do with your wifi driver and/or firmware. Should be easy enough to test as, when you install a new kernel, the old ones are still there to boot from if you choose more options on the GRUB menu.

And, as I think I've mentioned to you before, I have my laptop set up with the same thing you were going for - 16.04 LTS, latest kernel (4.9) and latest Mesa - and it works well for me. I have different hardware from you, of course, so that's what makes me think it's hardware compatibility problem somewhere. On the bright side: kernel hardware compatibility improves all the time :)

20. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I was actually using kernel 4.8 and 16.10. Not sure what difference that would have made.

It wasn't the wifi. I tested the game hardwired to the router and was still getting the lockups. I agree it is most likely a driver issue causing the conflict though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.