Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known][Game Freezing, Framerate, Hitching issues...

Discussion in 'Release 40 Bug Forum' started by Sorthious, Apr 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Reproduction Rate:100%

Blocker? No

Details: Game freezes upon enterning scenes(any) for 2-4secs and the frame rate drops to single digits. I have also noticed random FPS drops while traversing the overworld map. Most spots I'm getting between 15-20fps and at times it will drop to as low as 5fps. I've noticed that frame rates are better than they were before, after the freeze, in some areas. In others, the frame rate is actually lower than before. Hitching actually seems to happen more often now than in r39. It's pretty much constant. Some areas have light hitching, and others make it difficult to play. Sieges are one area where hitching is really bad.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15992
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics GPU RAM: 7816
    SDD: ADATA 550 240gigs

By Tor and Alexander like this.
  2. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Hitching has become ultra bad.
    The most critical thing that causes hitching as of R40 is "shadows in video options on" and then casting Light...

Turning shadows off fixed it for me.

By Tor and Alexander like this.
  3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Would you be able to include your system specs along with the report for us to review. Thank you.

4. Attenwood

Thank you for reporting. Would you be able to provide us with greater details of specific locations where hitching has become very bad for you? You can get the specific location coordinates by using the in-game /loc chat command and pasting the copied contents here.

5. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Title: Hitching/Lagging with Shadows turned on
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker?: no
    Details: Whenever i turn on shadows, hitching/graphic lag becomes very bad. It gets worse when i cast Light. As soon i turn shadows off everything is ok again.
    Graphic Settings are all maxed. Shadows maxed as well.

Steps to Reproduce: Always

User Specs:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170209-0600)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz (Overclocked to 4.5 Ghz boost)
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 32740MB RAM
    Page File: 18322MB used, 47154MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme (6 GB)
    Display Memory: 1682 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1952 MB
    Shared Memory: 3825 MB
    Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor Model: ASUS PB277
    Monitor Id: ACI27B5
    Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (74.925Hz)
    Output Type: Displayport External

Game is running on an SSD

Alexander likes this.
  6. Attenwood

Submitting: 43962

Thanks

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Not sure that would be all that helpful, as it is kind of a persistant issue. It seems to happen everywhere, however some locations are worse than others. Two locations where hitching can get bad are The Crag Foothills and Deep Ravens Wood. It seems the worst around the Mobs in the scenes. I can still post specific locations where it happens, but, as I said, it happens all throughout the scenes. Anyway, let me know if you still want the /loc or any other information; more than happy to help out!

Alexander likes this.
  8. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Noticed this in this release as well. Upon entering a scene, everything would freeze for several seconds. The problem actually appeared on the QA server, but thought nothing of it at the time. Nothing has changed with my system, nor did this problem exist in the previous release.
    My system specs are in the spoiler tag, as always :)

9. Attenwood

Has grayfog's suggestion above helped this issue for either of you, by turning off shadows?

Alexander likes this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I will give this a try and get back to you

Edit: @Attenwood - I turned off Shadow Distance (set to none), and it made about a 80-90% improvement, so that seems to be the bulk of the problem. Tested this in Owls Head which was the worse of all. I will leave Shadow Distance off for now while you guys sort this out.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Will set to 'none' and see if there is any effect, although I seem to think that it has something to do with spawning of mobs/nodes. We shall see!

edit: @Attenwood, still experiencing hitching with no-shadows, and I even tried reducing the quality to Fastest setting. It did seem to make an improvement, but it's still very noticible. However, lowering quality and shadows did nothing at all for scene load-up freezing.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  12. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You guys and gals that have access to the QA servers need to report issues like this when they occur, in the hopes that it won't make it into the build. (^8

13. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Tried turning down the Shadow Distance and it seemed to help a bit in scene areas already traversed, but the hitching on entering a new scene is still gawd awful. Worse in R40 than previously, and seems to be getting worse with new patches. Can't anyone manage a non-blocking file read?

Alexander likes this.
  14. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Yep, playing with this some more, and although turning down Shadow Distance helped a bit, the problem is still there. @Attenwood

15. Attenwood

Which scenes are you noticing the hitch the most when loading into scenes?

16. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

@Attenwood I'm noticing the stutter most when going into heavily user-deco'ed scenes: Owl's Head, Brittany Alleys, Rift's End, but it not restricted to those scenes, e.g., I've had it in Brittany Estates which has little user content near the Novia entrance. It is not common in adventure scenes. It is more common when I have just started the game though, again, it is not restricted to that time.

Here's some further data with a SWAG as to what's going on:
    - OS X Activity Monitor is showing a lot of file system I/O when this is going on, though it doesn't give specifics about what's being accessed.
    - My system has a hybrid drive, an SSD cache in front of a HD main store.
    - This problem appears to be different from the server-side hangups (ALTAIR9000) I was seeing in R39. Those have largely disappeared in this release, at least when entering scenes. Instead I get a long pause or (very occasionally) no lot-level user content showing up at all.

What I'm guessing is causing the stutter, at least on OS X, are blocking file reads to load definitions of user-placed (and sometimes scene) assets that are referenced from the scene level data structures being pulled from the server. (I'm making assumptions about where SotA stores various things but they seem to make sense from an architectural point of view.) That would fit with the I/O activity I'm seeing, as well as having a built-in SS cache that would more likely have assets prefetched when I enter scenes later on in play, rather than just after startup.

17. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Same here. The worst of them are any zone with lots of deco, but I also get it in places like Nightshade pass, but not as bad.

18. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Same here, the framerate are bad, specially in Xenos.... in Deep Ravesnwood sometimes my screen freezes for a secont... really annoying

Specs: Core: FX AM3+ 8120
    16gb DD3
    GTX 1070
    HD SSD 240gb

19. dopedwizard

dopedwizard Avatar

What happened to the game? Since two days now I can barely get in ... stuttering memory leaks..... Never had a real issue before. It might crash yes but preformance wise it would always be playable. Now it freezes up the whole PC for sometimes a minute and I get a slideshow. Have not changed anything on the PC except the current windows updates. Also installed just now the latest nvidia drivers which changed nothing. Used to play with settings maxed out now I have them set to the lowest and turned all functions off. Still same issue. Tested also several other games on the pc just to make sure and I have no issues at all.
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K
    CPU @ 4.00GHz (8) System
    RAM: 16333
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    GPU RAM: 4060
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.587.Date.04.07.17
    Samsung SSD

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Same issue. Changing my settings to "auto" seems to have resolved the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.