Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Game loads into a black screen with a functioning cursor

Discussion in 'Release 42 Bug Forum' started by Scavenger, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scavenger

Scavenger Avatar

Gaming Computer Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
    Service Pack 1
    GE Force GTX 1070
    NVIDIA Driver: 382.33
    DirectX 11
    Intel Core i5-2500K CPU 2 3.30GHz
    RAM: 16GB

This gaming computer had to be setup to use the -force-d3d9 fix in order to run. Now that DX9 is not supported I removed the startup string.

I'm back to the game loading into a black screen with a functioning cursor (same issue as before).

I have tried to get into the game through Steam and the Sota launcher - both produce the same result - no video but a functioning cursor.

Not sure if others are having the same problem - in theory it should be working. Anyway, this setup appears to be blocked.

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Scavenger
    How did it work under DX9 at R42 release? While not supported (and expected to cause issues) I wonder if you may be the anomaly with this.
    Have you tried it while disabling anti-virus software? Just to see if it works, I don't recommend keeping it disabled.
    And I'm sorry, did you ever send one of us a dxdiag? You can send me one if you like via msg.

I think there is something with your particular machine. I may not be able to get it fixed since I don't think it is entirely the game. But I'd like to try now that your workaround may be at a dead end.

3. Nubby

Nubby Avatar

I had a problem a year or so ago that sounds like this. It happened to me right after a release, worked the day before and black screen after I patched. After updating my driver the problem was solved. Not sure if it is the same problem you are having, but worth a try.

4. Scavenger

Scavenger Avatar

OK three straight days of trouble shooting and I finally have the game working again.

First I updated everything including the BIOS with no success.

Then I ran the game using the Unity "-force-driver-type-warp" setting in the Set Launch Options box in Steam which proved to me that the video is actually working (but the game is too slow to play).

After trying several other things I started working backwards on the NVIDIA driver versions uninstalling and reinstalling older versions.

The version that is working for me currently is NVIDIA Driver 376.33 (December 14, 2016) - I did skip a few versions in between the current release and 376.33 (to save debugging time).

So I'm concluding that something is bugged in the later NVIDIA drivers (at least for Windows 7 and DirectX 11). The game is now working great for me using the older NVIDIA driver.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Portalarium won't fix the DX11 problem @Attenwood

What you can do to play again, is add a new switch (similar to the DirectX9 one as before).

The switch to add is -force-glcore (also, some have said -force-opengl, which is probably the same switch).

6. Scavenger

Scavenger Avatar

Actually the -force-glcore didn't work for my Windows 7 / DirectX 11 setup so I had to use the earlier NVIDIA driver version 376.33 in order to play the game release 42.

The game is working for now but something is screwed up (possibly in the NVIDIA driver - who knows?).

7. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for reporting. We are investigating this issue for resolution internally.

8. Past Blue Ribbon

Past Blue Ribbon Avatar

Thanks Fister Magee -force-glcore is working for me so far lol....

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.