1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Known Graphics Issue: Locked in low quality

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Some video cards lock to 1024 x 768 with low quality settings at install. A symptom of this is that it either turns the shadows off completely or puts them super low resolution so they are very blocky. Even if you change your graphics settings it will still be low quality. We are profiling to lock down which vidcards.

For some of you this might explain issues you are seeing with shadows. It also might explain why some of you are saying things like "you must be playing a different game".

We will fix this for R2.

2. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

All settings Maxed out

3. Dolnor

Dolnor Avatar

My install encountered this issue. But when I changed the video settings, it saved my settings.

My specs are in my signature. NOTE: The ATI HD6670 is merely the HD5570 with a newer chip creation date and 1gig of memory.

TQQdles™

4. DarkStarr

Yes your settings will tell you that you are maxed out but you are not.

5. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

DarkStarr be sure to tell people to make sure they are running the latest graphics drivers for their hardware because this can also cause things like this.

deryk likes this.
  6. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

It will be interesting to see how the changes effect my laptop with two video cards (one board and one independent). I didn't get much of a chance to test this on R1...I will have to make sure to test it in R2.

Thanks @DarkStarr.

7. DarkStarr

BTW we are seeing these same shadow issues too. Some (but possibly not all) of these shadow issues are caused by video quality setttings not working (even when they say so).

Sir Frank likes this.
  8. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I thought the blocky shadows were by design, so that it doesn't bog the system down too much. Either way, I am really impressed by the fact the shadows from objects are cast on to everything in game even the grass. If the shadows are supposed to be less blocky, I can't wait to see the game when the glitches are ironed out!! BTW, I am using a GTX760 if that helps with troubleshooting at all. The drivers were updated in Nov. I had all the settings maxed out as well.

9. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Also let Nvidia/Firefox users know to turn off Hardware Acceleration in Firefox before they update. I thought I was going to have to reinstall windows because the mouse kept freezing every 15-30 seconds. I wasn't even running FF when it would happen. :(

I had a feeling. My ambient PC temp normally ramps up with 3D games, and it was a cool cucumber playing the alpha. Either Unity was very efficient or it was not running everything in the settings I told it too.

10. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I don't think I've had FF hardware acceleration turned on in years :) Good thing, I guess.

11. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I haven't either. It must have switched on as a default during an update or reinstall. However, it was running fine for a while, but since a certain version the Nvidia driver no-likey.

12. Dolnor

Dolnor Avatar

Gaming graphic settings are also dependent on how your video card's hardware is set up in your operating system.

My ATi card comes with Catalyst Control Center where I can select how much/little the hardware settings are "forced" and how much/little the application controls the settings.

People with issue may have to set those control programs to "use application settings".

Likewise, many issues have appeared in games due to people overclocking their cpu, memory, and video cards. Once they dial back the settings to default, a lot of issues disappear...regardless how smooth those settings run in other OPTIMIZED RELEASED games.

Remember, this project is in the growing stage and a lot of features/settings are still in the "testing" phase. Please don't compare your performance to games that have $100million budgets and 100's of developers!

TQQdles™

13. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

FYI, I'm seeing these issues on both my work machine (GTX650Ti 1GB), as well as at home (GTX770 4GB).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.