Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Known issue with repeatable quests (mail and Oracle)

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Lum the Mad, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Right now quests that are repeatable will fail if repeated. This affects both the Oracle virtue test and all mail quests.

If you have already done the Oracle virtue test and do not want to wait an extra day, please wait to do so until we announce this has been fixed (it will be a server-side fix, not requiring a new patch).

If you have already done a mail delivery, please DO NOT try to reset your mail delivery status until this has been fixed. We will push the ability for you reset this again this release, but that WILL require a future patch and will almost certainly not be available until next week.

Apologies for the inconvienence! This is part of making the game safer and more stable, but occasionally we'll stub our toes on rocks when running.

2. Psifour

Psifour Avatar

I assume this is related to the new devs work on security for xp/quests?

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The part about "and do not want to wait an extra day" is unclear to me. Are you saying that we should not take the Oracle test at all until a fix is announced or that we should wait a day before taking it?

Yesterday I took the test and passed, but the usual message saying that 500 g and 500 exp had been added to my account was missing. I didn't report it because I hadn't made note of how much gold and exp I had before I took the test, but I suspected that I didn't get it. Is this related to the bug you mention?

4. Net

Net Avatar

Well I did talk to Oracle before seeing this thread... I assume that the Oracle counts our visit, so when it is fixed I will have to wait till tomorrow to be able to get gold.

5. Rosemourne

Rosemourne Avatar

If this fix looks to take an extended period, would it be possible to freeze tax payments on row lots? I know several lower players rely heavily on the oracle to keep their home.

6. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

i took the test yesterday and it did not issue text about the xp/reward, but i checked my gold and thought it had raised up the 500. I waited to report on the missing message as I was going to try to replicate again today

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  7. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Hope it doesnt take too long. As this is my tax money....or at least part of it.

Numa, Vaiden Luro and Solazur like this.
  8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

You and me both.

@Lum the Mad anything like an ETA on this? Dang, why does this happen on weekends? the $1500/day I use for rent might be pocket change to lots of ppl...but lordy.. I am SO crafting broke....
    grr may have to spend those evil darned COTO's to pay

Nhili Dragon, Numa and Vaiden Luro like this.
  9. Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer Avatar

How long is it going to fix this? That to me is the more important question.

What issue with security or stability was caused by the repeatable quest? That just does not seem to make sense to me logically. It seems like there was no regression testing which is what I find a lot these days in a rush to put out a software and to update it afterwards.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  10. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

I read in another thread(forget where) that logging out and back in again will let you get a payment. I got one today. I will see it I get one tomorrow...

Numa likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

For me if after I click on 'test' if the quest is not about courage which is what I chose to go in I will fail now, well it seems. So like today it mentioned truth and I answered no I don't but if the question were about courage I would say yes I do. that is how it seems to me.

12. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Interestingly, logged in for the first time in a few days today, Oracle asked my character the usual questions, and gave me the xp and money 'rewards', then I logged in my second character (without shutting down the client, just went to the login menu again) and he got the question, gave the answer, was told 'here is your reward' - but got nothing. Closed down the client completely, restarted and logged in my third character - and again, got the questions, and the answer and 'here is your reward' text, but no actual reward.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I haven't seen any definitive information about what can influence your virtue standing, and Lum seems to want to be tight-lipped about it so that people will have to find their own way. I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but in any case, certain actions will influence your virtue, no matter what quest you are on. If I kill a faun, the Oracle tells me that I disdain courage. Since I don't know what quirky things will influence the Oracle's decision, I like to ask her how I am doing in Truth, Love and Courage before I take the test. That way I can't give a wrong answer. :)

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

when I click on the words test, the oracle talks about different things on different days. this is all I have to do is click on test. If she is not talking about my chosen 'courage' since I am a warrior and I say 'yes i do' in answer to her I fail and do not get the xp and cash. If she mentions 'courage' I say yes I do and I get the cash and xp. I am not exactly sure of the words since I'm not in game, but this is what I've found.

15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

There is not necessarily a correlation between the Path you have chosen (Courage) and your performance in the other virtues. I started out on the Path of Truth, yet my standing in that virtue is poor, so I have to say "No I do not" if the Oracle asks me about it. On the other hand, I am doing great on the path of Love, so I have to say "yes I do" if she asks me about that path.

The only sure way to know the answers that the Oracle wants you to give is to question her on "Path of Courage", "Path of Truth", and "Path of Love" before you take the test. She will tell you whether you disdain the virtue or have demonstrated it.

16. uhop

uhop Avatar

The algorithm is simple:
    1. Ask Oracle about "Path of XXX" (all three).
    2. Watch what she says (important for you or not).
    3. Ask for "test".
    4. She will ask you about "Path of YYY", where YYY is one of XXX above.
    5. Answer "yes", if she deemed it important for you, "no" otherwise.
    6. Get your 500gp/day. Score!

Numa, Kara Brae and LoneStranger like this.
  17. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

Today I didn't get the money even though the oracle confirmed I answered correctly. Today's question was about the love path and I chose the courage path when I created my av.

I think yesterday when I got the payout it was the question about the courage path, so maybe there is something to what majoria70 thinks might be going on.

Tomorrow I will see if the question is about courage and if I get a payout because of that...
    and the day after that... well hopefully it is fixed by then.

Btw, if you are as lazy as I am you only need to type the word "yes" or "no" rather than the
    whole sentence. ;)

Archer likes this.
  18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The issue isn't about the algorithm of the oracle test itself, but rather the repeatable quest engine in general. I guess something that was in place to prevent another round of 550 millions gp hand out did not work correctly.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  19. uhop

uhop Avatar

I posted the algorithm, because a few people in the thread demonstrated their ignorance about it: "Dude, I am all about Truth, I choose the Path of Truth, and that stupid Oracle asks me of Honor! I like: no, Truth, baldy, forget your stupid Honor! And she's like going full Trump on me: the Truth is I have no money for you! swear on my Honor! you are fired!" In reality it is not about your selection, it is about Oracle's judgment. Hence, algorithm.

Obviously the algorithm will not help the problem at hand, until @Lum the Mad & Co. fixes it properly, and sends his words to us in this thread.

20. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

I don't see anyone having problems with the Oracle's test, except maybe you. E.g. I am in good standing in all of the virtue paths, and so I can answer 'yes' to every question.
    The Oracle agrees that I have answered correctly, and says, "Here is some money for you." The bug is that no money actually is handed over.
    What some of us are testing out is if there may be a way, even with the current bug, to get a payout. As I said someone claimed to get a payout by logging out and in again... maybe that wasn't it but perhaps he got a different question that matched his chosen path. That is what I was testing.

I am sure some of these others are in good standing in all the virtues as well. One doesn't say 'no' to the question just because it is not the path they have chosen. That is not
    what the Oracle is testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.