Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known]Performance Issue: User Interface freezing, resuming, freezing, etc...

Discussion in 'Release 39 Bug Forum' started by Kutas, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kutas

Kutas Avatar

1. Title: User Interface freezing
    2. Reproduction Rate: 100%
    3. Blocker? No
    4. Details: Move in any direction by holding down a movement key or just auto-run forward, then mouse over the icons in the combat bar very quickly, sweeping the mouse left to right back and forth over the entire bar (this is an exaggerated case for reproduction). This will cause the whole client to freeze/pause for a brief moment, then resume, then pause again, etc... as you move your mouse over the icons constantly. The UI is unresponsive during the pauses, ie mouse clicks/drags don't register. This is also a problem if you mouse over the icons on the right of the UI (recently leveled skills).

In general, I use my mouse to click on glyphs, and to combine glyphs together, so I am mousing/hovering over glyphs constantly, which results in these pauses frequently. This problem gets much worse (longer pauses) the longer I play (entering/exiting many scenes). The pauses can be so bad during combat that dragging a glyph to combine them won't get registered, and it will end up casting it for me instead.

This feels like a multithreading issue resulting in the main UI thread waiting/stalling briefly while a worker thread processes the OnMouseOver/MouseMove events over the glyph icons, perhaps to render the tooltips. Perhaps object handles aren't being disposed and are building up over time? Maybe the tooltips can be rendered after a second of hovering over a particular glyph?
    5. Steps to Reproduce: See Details
    6. User Specs: Maxxed out system. GTX 1080, 16gigs ram, 8 core i7, Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    This has been an issue for me for many releases, so it's not specific to R39. I love Portalarium!

-Kutas

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Aldo, GrayFog, Lord Ravnos and 2 others like this.
  2. Rubus Bramble

Rubus Bramble Avatar

I too have suffered this type of problem for a few release's but mine normally end (around 70%) in a POTPIE or Similar disconnect, even disconnecting me from ISP.

I've tried opening all the firewall ports as recommended, and in the end put it down to the fact im over the pond in the UK, I run SoTA on Steam.

So far R39 has been slightly less disconnected frequency even magaing to stay online for most of the R39 party.

Again im a mouse hoover type of player, Love Port and the community was putting up with it thinking its distance and not optimised game as yet.

User specs GTX 750, intel i3 @3.6ghz , 8 gig Ram, Sata HDD

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Submitted: 42191

Thank you for reporting! We'll look into this asap!

Kutas likes this.
  4. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

You Sir. Get the biggest thumbs up from me ever. I have been trying to get port to recognize the hitching issue for the longest time and narrow it down myself. I have noticed that if I disable my sound card the effect is reduced dramatically. But your phrasing of the problem and getting thier attention with it again is fantastic.

*1080 fist bump as well*

GrayFog and Kutas like this.
  5. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

agreed, run into this issue as well, because I use both keyboard and mouse depending on the location of the glyph to be combined, and it's very annoying that I know I've clicked where they need to go, but the pauses cause errors in stacking, or lost dps, and general frustrations, also running on a 980ti, 16gb of ram, 4.2ghz intel, w/128gb samsung 850pro SSD.

GrayFog likes this.
  6. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I get the hitching a lot, but I do not use my mouse to activate/stack glyphs. I use the number row keys to combine/activate. Maybe there are other factors, as Sir Brenton, pointed out that are causing it. I did notice that the longer I play the worse it gets. After playing a long session I have been down as low as 2.1gigs free memory out of 16gigs(r39). Also, it seems to occur more often when I'm playing with others.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4) System RAM: 15992
    GPU: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics GPU RAM: 7816
    SDD: ADATA 550 240gigs

GrayFog likes this.
  7. August

August Avatar

Last patch made the game unplayable... frame rate seems to be about 1 frame every 8 to ten seconds.

Or is it just me?

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Common factors which seem to have caused it in the past: resource nodes spawning; any window opening; NPC chat.

9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

It's not just the mouse....

I am not an clicker, so i only use keyboard and i am hitching/stuttering like mad during my combat sessions.

It seems, everytime some mobs respawn my client freezes for a tiny moment.
    However, that's for sure not the only reasoning for the freezes.

The hitching really gets on my nerves, it's really really bad in the current Release.
    And the longer i play..... it gets even worse.

I already hate the deck/glyph/stacking/combo mechanic in this game, now add the hitching/stuttering and it really makes me ultra mad... expecially when the client misses tons of keyboard input because of the constant hitching/freezes...

Sir Brenton and Sorthious like this.
  10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

The hitching bug is the absolute killer for the fun-factor.
    It's been here since ages...

11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

Totally! Really becomes an issue when spells get cast or disappear entirely rather than being stacked. Last night I had a horde of Elves coming at me and they were moving like they were in hyperspeed, while I was moving in slow motion. There was myriad fireballs and arrows coming at blinding speed toward me. Before I could do anything I was dead. Happened twice before I decided to pack it in and stop playing.

Sir Brenton and GrayFog like this.
  12. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Aye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.