Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] Screenshots not working?

Discussion in 'Release 39 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Rinaldi, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

2/11/2017 9:11 PM
    Title: Screenshots not working?
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details: I tried F11 key and could not find screen shots anywhere on my hard drive. I searched my entire hard drive for "SOTA" and ".png" and found no screen shots. I then changed the screenshot hot-key int he settings, and still no screenshots (so it was not a broken F11 key!).
    Steps to Reproduce: see above
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3437U CPU @ 1.90GHz (4) System RAM: 3960
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 GPU RAM: 880
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.453.Date.02.10.17
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (121.6, 12.5, 101.5)

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Rinaldi - mine were in C:\Users\<my login>\Pictures\SotA\QA

Traveller13 likes this.
  3. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I logged in to the QA and tried again, and still cannot get screen shots to work. I searched entire hard drive again, and did not finding pics. I have Windows 7, and could not find the screenshots in C:\Users\<my login>\Pictures\ - the pictures folder is completely empty.

I am currently playing on my laptop (whereas usually I do QA on my desktop). I cannot check my desktop since I am not currently at home.
    I guess if this problem is not reproducible on other machines, maybe it has something to do with my laptop. ? insufficient memory - it only has 4 GB RAM.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Rinaldi,

I don't know exactly what you're dealing with, but I had a custom key set for screenshots, and with the newest QA it took me a while to realize it was for some reason unset, so I had to reconfigure the settings.

5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

The Windows client will be in the pictures folder.

The Steam client will save them in a Steam folder via F12.

6. Caree Death

Caree Death Avatar

When I take a SS on the QA... I open my documents & search QA.. They pull up for me. I couldn't find them before either.

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Settings for QA are seperate from live. so any keybindings need redoing - however, its worth checking manually that your screenshots arent there, for each drive you have do

start a command prompt as administrator and try

c:
    cd \
    attrib *.png /s

and maybe again for d: if you have a second hard disk, and so on.
    d:
    cd \
    attrib *.png /s

this will find all files with a png extension and tell you where they are.. Im at work so cant make the filenames more specific.

8. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I searched the entire hard drive for keywords "SOTA" and "png" and found nothing. I have one hard drive with 3 partitions. I searched the entire hard drive several times (including all 3 partitions) and did not find any SOTA screenshots. Just to double-check, I tried the all of the suggestions offered above, but I still found no screenshots.

I do not log in through steam, and I made sure I was using the hot key shown in my settings for a screenshot.

If no one else can reproduce this on their system, I suspect it is specific to my configuration: Perhaps not enough RAM?
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll fiddle a bit more with this and see if I can identify the issue.

9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Rinaldi the reason for the command prompt method is I was hoping it was your search has not updated to include those files.

you could do sota*.png in those commands

10. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Thanks @liz_the_wiz,
    Tried CMD prompt search in all drives with "attrib SOTA*.png /s" and found nothing.
    :(

I will keep fiddling....Thanks

11. Mytaz E'll

Mytaz E'll Developer Emeritus

I tried renaming my Sota folder in pictures to sota.old and when I took screen shots on QA a new Sota folder was created and the screenshots appeared in the new folder. Everyone who chimed in has given good advice, so I'm not sure what could be causing this. I'll submit a ticket to the tech team to see if they have any ideas about how to get this working for you.

12. Mytaz E'll

Mytaz E'll Developer Emeritus

Bug submitted. 41302.

13. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@Rinaldi
    Unfortunately we have not been able to reproduce this issue internally. Is it still occurring for you? Have you checked your in-game controls to make sure the "Take Screen Shot" key wasn't unbound or set to an incorrect key from the Options menu? it should be F11 by default. Otherwise, it may end up being some form of Permissions issue on your computer's end. : /

14. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

@Attenwood
    Thanks for looking into this issue. I tried to set the "take screenshot" hot-key to several different keys to see if it was a keyboard issue, but could not get a screenshot regardless of the hot-key I used. The computer on which this issue has occurred is my business laptop, and not my usual gaming desktop.
    When I run the game on my laptop, it uses all of the 4 GB of RAM. Perhaps there is not enough room in memory to process the screenshot?
    Anyhow, if no one else is having the issue, no point in pursuing this any further, especially since I will be gaming on desktop machine again soon!
    Thank you for your efforts,
    Rinaldi

15. Caree Death

Caree Death Avatar

Try searching "QA". I was having the same issue as you & this is how I found mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.