Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known - Unity Not Compatible with AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series] Display driver stops responding

Discussion in 'Release 37 Bug Forum' started by Rinaldi, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

I am still crashing and the update to 522 was no help.
    I was also crashing in R35 and R36, but figured it was related to other crashes being reported and that it would be fixed. However, the crashes have continued for me, so I think I have a separate issue.
    About 5 releases ago, I was able to play the game on beautiful setting with all the detailed graphic option activated. Now, GPU crashes constantly.

Crash symptoms:
    1) GPU crashes (I get a "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" notice from windows)
    2) the SOTA window turns all white (no graphics), but music still plays. I am unable to recover the graphics and game play no matter how long I wait (i.e. the graphic card may recover, but the game window graphics do not)
    3) SOTA in task manager is "not responding".

Crash Occurs when:
    1) Every time I am in Elysium mines or Serpent's spine mines ( i have not tested the other mines, but I expect the same issue).
    2) Every time I am in the forest siege
    2) just as resurrection is completed at an ankh (occurs about 20% of the time)
    3) In all other scenes I have visited so far (occurs about 50% of the time in every scene I enter)
    4) Does NOT occur on overworld map.

Things I have tried that did not help:
    1) Checked GPU temperature - crashes occur despite temps in normal range.
    2) Checked CPU usage - occasionally the crashes will occur when the GPU spikes to 100% use, but usually cashes occur when GPU use < 95%
    3) Removed my GPU, took it apart, cleaned all the dust off of it, and re-seated it.
    4) Deleted the old GPU driver and re-installed the latest GPU driver. Note: There was a notice on AMD website that "this driver is provided "as is" and will not be supported with further updates, upgrades or bug fixes." Maybe some of these old drivers are not compatible with unity?
    5) Increased the GPU Processing Time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value ( I set TdrDelay = 32 in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers")
    6) " -force-d3d9" work around - crashes occurred with the same frequency regardless of whether I use this work around or not.
    7) Set Quality to fastest, shadow distance to None
    8) Turned off : full screen, antialiasing, camera effects, camera bloom, depth of field, peripheral lighting, aggressive decoration loading, and cloth. Cull interior decoration is on.
    9) Turn off over clocking of GPU
    10) Close all other windows while playing SOTA

Windows Action Center Report
    Windows Action center says this:

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem
    WD-20161216-0655.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 117
    BCP1: FFFFFA8010DF3110
    BCP2: FFFFF88004B4ECAC
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Other information
    1) Occasionally I get a crash log notice from SOTA. I have e-mailed them before but did not get a response. I can send them if needed.
    2) I also have the windows action center files that "help descibe the problem".
    3) This issue only occurs with SOTA. However, I do not play other games or use other graphics intensive applications.

My system
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8) System RAM: 12279
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series GPU RAM: 1010 [installed driver is version 15.200.1062.1004 dated 8/3/15]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thank you for your thorough report and information provided. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you're experiencing. :(

I have written up this case and submitted it to our team for review and possible resolution. Bug reference ID: 38710

If you feel like submitting any crash files, please send them to rromero@portalarium.com. We do have an autologger built in now, so we ought to see your crash reports as they are generated and sent.

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Upon review by our tech team, it seems the issue may be tied to your video card, which is currently unsupported and not developed for.

Mischievous Dragon likes this.
  4. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

@Attenwood
    Thank you to you and your team for looking into this issue.
    Looks like i need to buy another video card (or new computer...).
    Much appreciated,
    Rinaldi

5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

aw... it's just sad to learn that the only solution is to buy a new one... T_T

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.