Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Last chance to make game not die (PVP solution)

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by Gatsu., Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

remove full loot... remove the oracle from players things (price of the oracle? what? and who is this guy?)

make ONLY reagents and potions LOOTABLE.

this is the only way players start playing AGAIN SOTA in PVP mode...

after this change a lot of players starts to be flagged PVP (just for fun? maybe!)

and what about PVP on cities?

all players on POT/NPC TOWNS will be automatically UNFLAGGED from PVP.

(if they want to fight they have to request a confirmation!) excluded PVP POTs (no law on these places)

2. Xenix Brastar

Xenix Brastar Avatar

back in my day when you were pvp'd, all your **** was lootable.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Black Tortoise like this.
  3. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

Actually when you died, all your stuff was lootable. You might be flagged criminal for looting the body, but it wasn't impossible. :D

Black Tortoise likes this.
  4. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Agree 100 % that these would actually bring more people to PVP. right now I have not wanted to wast my time organizing my pack, separating reagents, adding junk to help my oracle chance. This would be a step in the right direction

5. eli

eli Avatar

I don't think loot changes are the bottleneck.

Right now, dying in PvP costs ~2k and dying in pve costs you 30min-hr of playtime. It's already cheaper to die PvP. Going from ~2k of ransom to ~2k of regs will relieve the "omg what if I lost my +15" anxiety but I don't think it's accurate to assume this mental hurdle is the primary thing blocking people from pvping.

What's really needed are compelling pvp game modes. Matchmaking and player flattening systems for fair-ish skirmishes, ranking systems, city control mechanics, capture the flag/king of the hill variants, etc.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and EMPstrike like this.
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

It could be a decent idea. Some other alternative might include;
    -specific bag which is lootable, and not all your belongings (essentially overflow).
    -make pvp arena and shard zones looting safe places.

7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Once the game supports NPC guards we'll see more people engaged in pvp.

I think all body parts should be lootable if you're flagged for pvp. Watering down the loot system is not the way to go though.

8. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i'm not talking about a "Final" version of PVP.. but just to make players play PVP all the time during day... for maybe 1 or 2 months.. just to understand what mean killing other players. (being killed is a sensation that a lot of players have tried)

i played UO as a pk for a lot of time.. and i'm wearing usually a cloak and a Fork .. just 20 reagents for type ... and 2 or 3 scrolls... this is not applicable ina game that incentive fancy suits ,special magical weapons of gods , potions and food that cost a very huge amount of money .. and require to emnter a specific scene wating a lot of time just to re-stocking used items.

in UO players can do PVP near the bank just crossing the bridge... (and PK leaving reagents/scrolls to a blue player near the bridge) very very fast thing.. in SOTA everything related to reach a bank is an eternity

exiting scene.. walk in the overworld map... entering scene.. take reagents (using a very slow interface.. and finding NPC vendor) ... exit scene.. walk in the overworld... enter scene

3-4 minutes to re-stock items on PVP. (on 4 minutes maybe the group of pvpers can leave game.)

developers and players have to stop thinking that PVP in sota is like PVP on other games...
    the very slow unity engine, the scene-concepted game (with standard entry points) is NOT COMPARABLE to other games, and PVP also can't be conparated.

emh... your are really waiting for a some sort of guards improvements? maybe in 2019 .. (for now i can be happy if siege soldiers stops to be clowns)
    the changes to pvp can be made NOW... in an bounch of hours.. 50% of players can enable PVP and finally we can start a new challenge.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Ahuaeynjgkxs and Thwip like this.
  9. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

As someone who does not PvP this would not encourage me to PvP at all.
    In fact it would only lead to discourage me even further from it.
    The only thing that would make me even consider it, would be a crime system and a guard system.

But really... 3-4 minutes is a strain for you? I spend that loading ONE scene at times. By then you are already back in PvP.

10. Belgtor

Belgtor Avatar

For me what's loot-able off a player doesn't matter. I no longer play because of the leveling system of unending grind. Which seems to make pvp pointless if a long time invested pve play can just beat you with RAW numbers.

Overall my personal issues with the game doesn't mean it's not wroth playing. Just not for me regardless of what you can take from others in pvp.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The consumable only loot wouldnt work well in a game where potions and regs arent a neccessity. While im not against pvp, its not gonna be the thing that makes or breaks this game.

The only incentive to pvp atm is loot thats also available outside pvp zones (and is easy to get and avoid pvp in pvp zones) and purely to challenge yourself or just a deranged pleasure to try to make folks mad (the latter being the main reason most non-pvpers avoid pvp situations).

You'd have to come up with a non-griefable reason to seek a pvp encounter if you wanna get a larger bariety active in it. And you'd also need to levelthe playing field between playstyles as much as possible.

Noone like to be forced to play a specific type of build just to compete with others in a game that advertises the ability to play however you want.

Example: some folks wanna build in a way to define themselves a certain way, that is very effective in pve, like Halberd, light armor, and moon magic. While this build can be extremely effective in pve while assuring you dont suffer much xp loss on death, it lacks the skills and massive ammounts of attunment required to avoid bring instantly crushed in pvp.

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

If this game dies, it won't be due to PVP... It will be due to boredom of doing the same thing over and over again..... been there, done that .... This game in MHO is just one big grind fest..... exploring isn't fun, you get nothing out of it, no hidden treasures to be found, no fun dungeons to explore without having to be flagged PVP, so on ,,, so forth ... so out side of crafting, which is tedious, what the heck is the point , when you don't want to pvp? Grind for experience? then what??????

13. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

A longtime invested player in general is going to beat you. That's how it works. Especially since many mobs are being upgraded to resemble pvp, those pve players are going to be more experienced with that kind of combat.
    There are hidden "treasures", there just isn't anything in the chests worth getting.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

^ This.

I will flag for PvP again when there's a reputation system and town guards that teleport and insta-kill you for attacking another player in town (or similar mechanics).

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I think it would be simple enough to increase guards. That way when attacked the guards can protect you. At the least the guards should of that faction all pursue you pretty much indefinitely until caught, and all vendors refuse service outside of a potential black market.

16. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

For me, its just the inconvenience that puts me off more than anything.
    Basically, PvP has a price for participating in the form of ransom. I already struggle with enough cash sinks, thank you very much, I'm not going to pay to PvP. I'm not going to hose my inventory putting reagents into tiny piles, a tedious manual exercise to both do it and undo it, to try to offset cost. Nor do I want to carry a million piles of pointless crap. I'm insulted by the PvE benefit currently added to being in PvP mode as it doesn't make me want to PvP more, it just irritates me that I get a PvE experience penalty for not wanting to be inconvenienced by it.

As has been iterated, over and over again, get rid of the xp bonus, get rid of the ransom. Add meaningful conflict, something to fight over, pvp progression, pvp related gear, pvp related loot/materials that can be used to craft pvp-bonus gear. Add things to PvP that no PvE player feels punished for not having, but incentivize those that do enjoy PvP to participate more. Getting more bystanders dragged onto the battlefield does not make a better battle; unless you're the sort of player who only derives enjoyment from harassing others in which case I seriously hope the game isn't steered to cater to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.