1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Resolved] Launcher doesn't load

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Daxxe Diggler, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

1. Title: Launcher doesn't load
    2. Reproduction Rate: Tried 3 times, even restarted my PC in between last 2 times.
    3. Blocker?Yes
    4. Details: Been trying to install the patch all day, but when I run the launcher, I agree to allow it to make changes to my PC, then nothing happens. I see the launcher in my task bar, but nothing on my screen.
    5. Steps to Reproduce: Load the launcher, wait.
    6. User Specs: Can't get in game to auto fill the specs, so here is my manual entry:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4) System RAM: 16306
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti GPU RAM: 1984

I tried to run the Sota Installer again (did not uninstall first) and that did not fix it.

Should I uninstall then reinstall to try to fix it?

2. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Daxxe Diggler Yes, give that a try. Based on the description, it sounds like you are not using Steam [If you were/are, then I'd suggest verifying the files through the Steam interface].

If this is the standalone client, then yes, I would un-install and re-install. Sounds like a file may have gotten corrupted.

Let us know here what happens :)

3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I uninstalled and reinstalled and when I try to run the launcher, same thing is happening. It's open and running in the background (on my taskbar) but the actual launcher is not on my screen so I can't run the game.

4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Even though I still can't see the launcher on my screen, I see in task manager that the Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe is running. CPU and Network % are constantly changing so I'm assuming it's "patching" in the background still.

I'm going to let it run for a while to see if it completes the installation since I uninstalled and everything is gone in my games folder.

If it does complete and I get the Shroud of the Avatar.exe in the folder, I'll try to run the game without the launcher and see if that works.

5. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

This sounds like Windows has mapped the application to an area of the desktop that is not visible on your currently connected monitor.

Try hovering over the entry in the task bar and then right clicking on the little window that pops up above it. This will allow you to choose 'Move', then use the arrow keys to "unlock" the n app and moving your mouse should allow you to drag the app to the main screen again.

Is it possible you changed monitor configurations recently? (its the typical reason this type of thing would happen, if I'm on the right track)

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Funny you should say that. I did some googling and saw a similar suggestion for programs doing this in general.

I was able to shift-right-click-> Move ...then use the arrow keys to move the launcher to the middle of my screen. However, even then, the launcher was a blank window with just a black background. Here is a cropped screenshot of it.

[​IMG]

In case it helps, here is the output_log.txt from my Shroud of the Avatar Launcher_Data folder:
    Code:
    Initialize engine version: 5.6.4p3 (11e8f66cfca7)
    GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
    Direct3D:
        Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [nvldumd.dll 26.21.14.4187]
        Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
        Vendor:   NVIDIA
        VRAM:     2007 MB (via DXGI)
        Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=0 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0 ATOC=1 BC4=1 BC5=1
    Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.CJK.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.MidEast.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Other.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.Rare.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\I18N.West.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Ionic.Zip.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Nat.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Nat.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.Dht.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.Dht.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\MonoTorrent.dll into Unity Child Domain
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Photon3Unity3D.dll (this message is harmless)
    Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Photon3Unity3D.dll into Unity Child Domain
    - Completed reload, in  0.058 seconds
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
    WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VR/BlitCopyFromTexArray' - Setting to default shader.
    <RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
      at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename:  Line: -1)

desktop: 1280x1024 60Hz; virtual: 1280x1024 at 0,0
    <RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 1.338000 ms
    LanguageManager, Language=English, Culture=en-US, SystemCulture=en-US, Partner=None

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
    PatchClient Awake, version: 148 settingsfile: Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/patchsettings.txt gameVersionfile: C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar_Data/gameversion.txt

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

This is the patch client launched as: C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.exe

Starting patch client update...

Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)
    SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, graphicsMemorySize=2007, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=4, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, systemMemorySize=16306

SotA.Win.32.148.Date.01.31.20, LocalTime=1/31/2020 1:49:52 PM, Patch=lonely-exterminator

SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, graphicsMemorySize=2007, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D9, operatingSystem=Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=4, processorType=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz, systemMemorySize=16306

Checking SotALauncher-PID file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\SotALauncher.pid

Checking SotALauncher-PID file contents: 11248

Starting p2p engine...

No existing dht nodes could be loaded
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/libc
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/.\libc
    Fallback handler could not load library C:/Program Files (x86)/Portalarium/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/libc
    Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data\Managed\Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
    NAT Device found, Type: Mono.Nat.Upnp.UpnpNatDevice

Create Port Mapping: public=55721, private=55721

Specific Mapping: protocol=Udp, public=55721, private=55721

GetLatestVersion=|148|148|https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/update_service/patcher.php?buildTarget=StandaloneWindowsPatcher&from=0&to=148sotaPatch|

PatchClientNeedsToUpdate? thisVersion=148 onlineVersion=148

GetLatestVersion=|1104|-1||https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/update_service/patcher.php?patchUnavailableFor=1104

Start Got the settings and latest online version

NeedsToUpdate? thisVersion=1104 onlineVersion=1104

OMGZERS! System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
      at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedString,MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Creator].get_Item (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedString key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.MessageFactory.TryDecodeMessage (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedDictionary dictionary, MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Message& message, System.String& error) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.MessageFactory.TryDecodeMessage (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedDictionary dictionary, MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Message& message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.MessageReceived (System.Byte[] buffer, System.Net.IPEndPoint endpoint) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    OMGZERS! System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
      at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedString,MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Creator].get_Item (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedString key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.MessageFactory.TryDecodeMessage (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedDictionary dictionary, MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Message& message, System.String& error) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.MessageFactory.TryDecodeMessage (MonoTorrent.BEncoding.BEncodedDictionary dictionary, MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.Message& message) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.MessageReceived (System.Byte[] buffer, System.Net.IPEndPoint endpoint) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    HandleD3DDeviceLost
      HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
    Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

(Filename:  Line: 778)

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost

HandleD3DDeviceLost
      HandleD3DDeviceLost: needs reset, doing it
    FullResetD3DDevice
    ResetD3DDevice
    dev->Reset
    D3Dwindow device not lost anymore
    Incoming message barfed: MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageException: Server Error
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.ErrorMessage.Handle (MonoTorrent.Dht.DhtEngine engine, MonoTorrent.Dht.Node node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.ReceiveMessage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.Messages.ErrorMessage.Handle (MonoTorrent.Dht.DhtEngine engine, MonoTorrent.Dht.Node node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
      at MonoTorrent.Dht.MessageLoop.ReceiveMessage () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
      Thread -> id: 21e8 -> priority: 1
      Thread -> id: 1e80 -> priority: 1

I only have one monitor and I didn't change any configurations for it recently. Other programs that I open on my computer work fine and don't have this issue.

For what it's worth, the launcher seems to still be "updating" even though I can't see anything on the launcher window. It fully installed the new install of Sota and I was able to run the Shroud of the Avatar.exe right from the game folder to load and log into the game fine.

7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

OK, not sure how or why this ever started happening, but after many hours of searching the web for similar problems, I think I found out how to fix this issue. I'll describe it in detail in case this ever happens to someone else:

- My original problem was that the launcher opened up, but wasn't on my screen. I saw the task "running" in my task bar and when opening task manager I could see that the process was "running" and not labeled as "Not Responding"

- I was able to : hold down <Shift> Right Mouse Click on the program in task bar and Left Click on "Move"... then use arrow keys and my mouse to move the launcher into view... then hit <Enter>

- At this point, I could see the Launcher window frame, but the window was all black (see image above). So, although I could see the launcher, I could not change settings or load the game.

- In any case, once the launcher finished patching (was still working in the background, I just couldn't see the progress) I was able to run the ShroudoftheAvatar.exe directly from the install folder and play the game.

- My next issue was that every time I loaded the launcher, it was still off screen again and I had to do the same Move trick above. But now I found out that instead of clicking the X on the launcher to close it, you can: hold down <Shift> Right Mouse Click on the program in the task bar and Left Click on "Close"... it will now remember the position you closed it and it won't be hidden next time you run it!

- As a bonus, now that it opened on-screen, the window was no longer black and I could see the launcher as normal! :D

Hope that helps others who may be frustrated by this weird bug.

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Out of sheer curiosity, which Nvidia drivers are you using? The current 442.19 version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.