Leather Chest Armor with Leather Straps

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Tahru, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL that's right. Many have changed.;)

Tahru likes this.
  2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Yes but unfortunately not for the better. And now the wiki has to do some major editing changes.

FrostII likes this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know it takes tons of resources to make things and very little drop rate from things killed and most harvests. LOL well I guess we'll see what they are planning in the long run.
    At this point I know not;)

4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'm glad they mixed it up so people can't continue to jic the system.

5. Darian

Darian Guest

Right now it looks as if tradeskills will be rich bored fighters hobby to burn moneyz in lol

Moonshadow likes this.
  6. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

To me it seems like a better and simpler solution would have just been to lower the price of the leather armor.

I really do not have issues with the currently recipes though. My biggest problem is that we (currently) can not indirectly get the hides.

Removing all the hides people sell off of the market forces everyone to have to actually do the gathering. A tailor or blacksmith should be able to purchase the resources others have gathered and sold instead of having to get them themselves.

tazntaylr and Moonshadow like this.
  7. Darian

Darian Guest

plus it is hard to test stuff if you are busy all time to scrape the ressources together

Caliya and FrostII like this.
  8. Tasali

Tasali Avatar

Yeah, crafting is a bust in this Release. I'm normally a crafting nut, but the stuff is bloody impossible right now. As someone noted, instead of making leatherworking impossible, maybe they should have lowered the amount the vendors are willing to pay for the chestpiece or whatever. Instead, crafting has suddenly become obnoxious. So, I'm setting crafting aside and not bothering with it. Hopefully it gets balanced in the next release.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL oh no, well if we don't craft so many bugs aren't discovered and there are a lot of them. I am muddling through it, we have a ways to go to R15 so it will help R15 if we find the bugs and issues with crafting and
    any other systems.:)

10. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I'd say first bug is the insane requirements to build things. If they fix that for R15 I'll be happy.

Caliya likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes things will all get fixed, we just tell them about it, do bug reports , and constructive feedback
    so they get great ideas for making the game the best it can be. I agree it is crazy, but the cool
    thing is we are telling them and they do listen. It was crazy fast how soon they patched a fix
    on the quick loss of focus due to encumberance that was getting characters stuck. For all
    we know it could be patched tomorrow or sometime soon before the next release. That's
    how it goes. ;)

FrostII, ThurisazSheol and Tahru like this.
  12. Eniko

Eniko Avatar

I went through the major hassle of getting 10 yards of hardened leather to craft a leather chest piece. What I wound up with was 1 DR less than Founder's Leather Chest Armor, and had "greater dodge" which adds a whopping 0.2% extra damage avoidance. (which doesn't display as being there on my Character Stats window) I'm level 35 and loaded with coin and it still took me the better part of two days to get a chest piece that is significantly worse than the one I got for free at the start of the game. That doesn't really seem balanced to me.

EDIT: For the record, the item value is 4.1k. My 5 story village basement cost me 15k. Why is this item so mediocre if it's worth 1.3 floors worth of basement? o_O

EDIT2: It's been brought to my attention I might be unfair comparing this to my founder armor. In which case I got an epic leather chest armor piece within the first hour of play, with equal DR and 3 DA, instead of the "greater dodging" DA of 2.2. Similarly the augmented leather chest piece you can buy for 120 gold from the Owl's Head blacksmith is equal to founder's armor.

Basically, after spending two days of playtime on this, 100+ hides, 130+ chunks of salt, and 25 fat, I expected something that wasn't just a mediocre piece of kit. The resource investment is way too high for what you actually get at the end of the process.

FrostII, Noctiflora, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I do agree and know how you feel Eniko, sad but true at this point. This is the time I say to myself remember where I am, testing, testing, testing;)
    I know and many things aren't balanced and more to come.:)
    The Dev Team needs our help though, if no one played in these releases that would not help them.:)

************edited spelling;)

FrostII, Albus, Eniko and 1 other person like this.
  14. Eniko

Eniko Avatar

Yep, not saying I'm upset that the balance isn't right, just reporting that it's pretty off at the moment. Well, I admit to being a bit disappointed after pouring that many resources into an item only to have it be worse than everything else I got way easier, but that's just human. :p

FrostII, tazntaylr, Albus and 2 others like this.
  15. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

That is fine. Artificially lower the requirements significantly at this stage or provide the resources with a very minimal investment and we will find the bugs in the system. Raise the recipe ingredients and/or raise the investment in resources to the desired target in "Alpha" or later releases to get a feel for balance so you can get most of the dials correct in Beta and make the final balance tweaks for Release.

If you really want bugs in the crafting loops to be found, then run it like a Test Server and provide the resources for the crafting loop so you can maximize the iterations of crafting. The focus of R14 doesn't seem to be focused on bugs though. R14 seems focused on finding balance in the crafting loop or testing the limits of the crafting loop. The testers are saying that it is so wildly unbalanced that it is not worth the effort and many, or most, are not going to punish themselves to that extent even if it would improve R15.

I am wondering if part of the concern is whether or not we are crafting at the lower end of the crafting table and drawing comparisons that would be better drawn at the upper end of the crafting table. This could also call for some artificial means of getting testers to the upper end of the crafting tables at some point if you truly want to test bugs and balance at the upper end of the crafting tables.

One of the issues is that there is a disincentive to test deeply or thoroughly due to server wipes. I appreciate that there are testers who can commit time to testing with minimal impact in their lives or they find it can be balanced in their lives. For some of us, we are finding that we are more willing to support development with finances than our lives allow to support with actual beta testing. It isn't that we are not committed to SotA development, it it's just that the sacrifice to commit to time intensive testing is a bigger sacrifice than we are willing to make. I say willing because I could sacrifice elsewhere in my life but I value those aspects of my life more than I value testing SotA right now.

My greater point is that I feel testing needs to be much more focused and I would find it worth my time and effort to help with focused testing or at least some tasks of focused testing. As it stands, I have taken a big step back from testing starting with R12 because I don't have the time to commit to what I feel is unfocused testing. In my view, there should be a prioritized list of testing tasks with no more than three primary testing tasks and some secondary tasks that guides the testers. For me to justify more active testing, the release should be set up for testing the primary testing tasks even if it imbalances other elements for that release.

The problem with that is that it may not fit the business plan for funding development and marketing of SotA so maybe there it's an intentional sacrifice being made for testing in development. Maybe Portalarium feels they are getting what they need out of testing. I suspect not based on some of the indicators like introducing the quest rewards to visit new content. If not then I suggest they should retool how they utilize the releases because there is a fundamental obstacle that some of us are not going to overcome for a hat or altruistic motivations beyond the support we have already given.

4EverLost, Caliya and Tahru like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Archibald I wasn't trying to say everyone has to feel the same or that life even works the same for everyone. I have a job and my children are grown up, to some extent how I spend it is my choice, finally lol,
    since I got married in high school;) Anyway by no means do I say how someone should feel the same way and if I came across like that I do apologize sincerely. :) How this project is being tested is new to everyone
    in some ways and I feel is a learning curve. I of course would rather be playing the game, the actual finished game with everything I want in it of course, but I know that is not gonna happen for a while.
    Another thing that I feel for myself, I'm not saying is true for someone else necessarily, is that I don't feel that anything I have to say and contribute is as valid if I have not thoroughly done things in
    game.

One example is that I came into the forums after my first experienc with encumberance and was a bit rattled by the affects of it. I could have just said hey I'll wait until it is worked out but I did not do that.
    I went right back in game and am level 30 and encumberance does not bother me that much now and plus they fixed focus for now so we are not stuck when encumbered.

For myself I could not have given my best or reliable feedback on encumberance if I had stopped with out working through to see what happens when I am not level 5 anymore.
    Also typos and incorrect crafting recipes are being found right and left which gives the team more time to focus on things rather than hunt everything down themselves.

So I don't say what works for you I think you are just fine whatever you contribute is terrific. I have no need to compare one person against another in regards to time management.
    Everyone participating is contributing for what is comfortable and feasible for them, so there is no worries or comparisons to make. We each do what we do and it's all good.
    So don't worry and sorry if I came accross like I was judging anyone that is my bad for not being clear. ***cheers***

FrostII, 4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I share this as well. I have been learning to play the game better and my opinions are changing as well. Sometimes, we just need to give the new norm a go for a while before passing judgement. I have so little to complain about now. I am more or less waiting for the next norm shift in R15 now. :)

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I just bumped up my investment in the game significantly at the end of R13 because our rewards would take effect in R14. But now I can't bring myself to play. I try, and I try to be jazzed about things. Really I do.

It's hard to test this game when very few things are intuitive. I'm pretty much a newbie since I finally could stay connected in R13. But between armor being terribly expensive, or worse expensive to repair, monsters beating me up so badly I can't really gain levels so I give up, and gathering resources for a long period of time doesn't really produce anything or requires a lot more ingredients, I just can't get into the mood to test and play. It's too much of a chore. So now I'm back to playing Assassin's Creed Unity and 100% synching my missions.

Anyone wants to join our club, we're #3 in the Gold Rank I category. I'm Caliya there too, and our club is Blades of Death. We voice chat to coordinate our missions. =D

It's fun, rewarding and even though it's buggy as all get-out, I still have a lot of fun.

I'm just waiting for the day SotA gets there.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

try sotarecipes.com

the sotawiki is oudated and hadnt been updated. the above site pulls recipies from the game file so they are always pretty up to date. Due to the current recipie book bug in game, its nice to have this resource around ^^

Noctiflora and Tahru like this.
  20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I will get you into plate and swords are free at the blacksmith. When your are in game, look me up Tahru Seras. I am out for the night though.

Caliya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.