Leather Chest Armor with Leather Straps

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Tahru, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

You and I are getting along splendidly as far as I am concerned and I could have made it clearer that my comments were intended to be directed squarely at Portalarium. I do feel as though testing for bugs could be done better if the testing was more focused and isolated to the game functionality that Portalarium wants to be tested in some cases. I am probably wrong though. As you say, Cheers!

Aries, Tahru and majoria70 like this.
  2. Albus

Albus Avatar

Like Tahru I'm willing to help also (add Albus in game if you like). I'm no pro but have found enough success in fighting skeletons & the like to support armour upkeep costs ;)

Tahru likes this.
  3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Thanks so much Tahru and Aries. I'm honestly not looking for handouts. I just want to figure out how to play the game in a way I don't need to rely on others. Maybe I'm just lazy, but usually when I start a game, things are so intuitive, it doesn't take me much to do everything on my own. I realize it's pre-alpha, and they've done a great job on the popup tutorials. There are just some things you can't write a tutorial.

Aries and Tahru like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It took me two releases to figure out I could use the swords laying around the blacksmith for free. I spent a crazy amount on repair kits for my sword when I could have had a replacement for free. It seems so obvious now, but I guess it felt like I was steeling from the blacksmith and the oracle was going to smack me. o_O

tazntaylr likes this.
  5. Albus

Albus Avatar

Hehe I still haven't picked up any of the free swords, I think flashbacks to previous ultima games getting slapped for doing something against the virtues stayed my grasping hand ;) That being after I actually noticed there *were* weapons in the racks that could be taken...

tazntaylr and Tahru like this.
  6. Albus

Albus Avatar

Most welcome! I was thinking more of a help out than hand out perhaps, sharing what bit I have learned in dealing with encounters and such, it can be nice to have an extra sword to count upon when an encounter turns against you and such. Offer still stands, but framed more as helping each other rather than handout. Luck with the hunting either way though!

Caliya and Tahru like this.
  7. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Wow, R14 been live less than a week and everyone wants to have mastered everything and be stinking rich by now.

You guys would seriously have the rule set the same for every release, just so you could have another chance at being the first or the best or the highest with out having to explore, test, and problem solve?

there is no need to hump leathers. just pick up mats as you play. If you want to grind for gold, hit the mines. If you want a house, mine enough gems to buy a lot deed, wait for the 7 day timers to pop, then go claim a lot.

I am glad that we have the privilege to see what crafting will be like at all. IMO, without the crafting skills online and since you have a 100% success chance every time, they have to add mats to the recipes to balance that out.

just remember avatars, the first episode is supposed to last for a year. how much would it suck if they made it so easy that you could have a million gold and castle in the first week?

8. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

I'm starting to think insane amounts of mats for crafting is a good thing.

The real issue is durability, armor & weapons should last weeks, not hours.

Awesome armor player crafted will be worth a lot & hard to attain. Currently it takes half a day to get mats to make a few things. Not everyone is willing to do that kind of legwork. We may be on easy mode, fail rate is coming.

9. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I am not here to play the game. I am willing to help test but if it is not worth my time (time is money), then I am not going to bother. Why would I waste half a day collecting mats when my time is worth as much as my time is worth to me and a wipe is coming at an unannounced time? If I knew I had 2-3 months, then maybe but the risk is not worth the reward right now for me and many others who have stepped back from testing. For all I know, Portalarium is getting all the testing they want and it it is no skin off their nose.

I put some more thought on to what we have been discussing and I realized Portalarium probably wants people to play the game (rather than run it like a Test Server) so the game can be marketed by word of mouth. This is critical for smaller independent studios that can't afford the marketing campaigns that are ran by corporate studios. Sure they can catch an article in Game Informer but I doubt you are going to see a commercial on TV for Episode 1.

Caliya and Tahru like this.
  10. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I'm hoping this is where the skill point section comes into play. Hopefully, sooner than later if the insane rates are here to stay. :)

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  11. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Thinking insane things are good is a rather insane position. Having skill level requirements and rare or expensive "blueprint" items is a better option that requiring a half ton of leather to craft a sock. If that's not enough, have "techniques" be required and hide them behind higher level quests. Want to craft Dragon scale armor? Well only the old man on Mt. Hungry Lions knows how to work with dragon scales, so you need to hunt him down to "acquire" the technique (which means completely some quest for him) and pick up a copy of his "Dragon scale hole punch" (which is made from some rare components you must provide). After that, you can teach others the technique, but you consume some highly rare dragon scales in the process and they still need to find their own hole punch.

12. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i will never wear a leather sock..

and for the scenario you provided with the guy7 at the mountain. i like that, but i woudln't want to be able to teach the technique to others, unless if their quality is lower than mine, because i learned it directly from him, the grand poobah of dragonscale hole punching.

so maybe the option for teaching it to others is there, but at lower tiers of quality... over time when the devs take the function out for whatever reason, over time those items and techniques will be such low quality over the playerbase, it won't matter.. it'll just fix itself that way.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

My 2015 prediction: socks will become the new hats.

I like the idea of a quality qualifier for crafted items, but it tends to turn into an excuse for grinding, 99 fair swords and then 1 good sword would suck. I've also always been a fan of "fitted" items. The "unfitted" version might be easier to acquire, but it only mediocre until someone with a particular skill fits it to you, that way flooding the market with unfitted suits of armor won't wreck the balance of the game.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Just don't wear a fish leather sock.

Archibald Leatherneck and Tahru like this.
  15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd have to chew a hole into the heel for my nose...then i'd wear one.

now that, sir, is a great idea. fitting an item to the player, a way of adding a couple "hidden" attributes like they love doing, that befit your playstyle and skill choice, and making it soul bound, as it is YOURS. another way to let the crafters build the economy and keep it going.

wait, on my head?

16. hearsehauler

hearsehauler Avatar

Have only found 1 sword (damage 4-13) for sale...now its at damaged (15/90), next best one is 3-9. Can no longer "find" decent swords (like at Obsidian Keep)
    Repair kits very seldom appear at vendor in Owls Head. Not much excitement with this patch :(...

Hearse

17. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

You could go back to the place you start off from. The burning hell you first escaped from......not everything burned down, you know.

tazntaylr likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

lots of spiders and wolves and skellies there, and in r13 (last time i was there) their respawn rate was amazingly fast.

19. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Sorry but software test is a privilege when I'm paid to do it. In this case, I literally paid them to software test. It's not that I'm ungrateful, but my time is at a premium.

I don't expect to be in "god mode" from day 1. I expectmto earn that. But I won't invest that kind of time unless the game is live.

I greatly appreciate all the suggestions and help. I just haven't the time to follow through lately.

20. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

Meant that you can get better or rather cheaper (free) weapons from there than the NPC sold versions :D Especially if you run into the fort. Everything from axes, swords, spears, etc.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.