Leo's Awesome Artwork Post!

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Cordelayne, Jun 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

@Time Lord @Bowen Bloodgood @Lord British

Time Lord, I would say you are correct about the amount of art per week/month, not quite yet at least.
    But you are on to something with the already running screenshot comp's, they easily could be towards a chance at in game painting or something along those lines.
    But thats for a different thread.

Bowen / Lord British, Yea I think at the end of the day the most professional way to handle things is on a case per case basis when it comes to original creations. Allow the devs to follow up with the individuals they are interested in and quality assure the asset when they have the time/ability to do so.

So I was more in the line of being in favor of simply a "player creations" bundle of different sorts. Myb one for books or paintings once there is enough, I think itd be a decent way just to promote the community. No revenue needed (itd be nice ofc hehe) Im happy making creations that help the world feel more rich with uniqueness. As well as just being able to say I have art in this amazing game (and maybe use that for resumes in the future) that is reward enough for me.

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

SotA Fine Arts Committee .... I am surly interested and have passion for this perfection of art. @Lord British @Berek

@Leostorm does amazing work!!!

More than Happy to help
    And if help is requested
    Do let me know and we can talk in more details as i have several ideas in mind!!!

-MH

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

The World of the Bit Coin Style Thinking;

Everything being in short supply has a bit of an issue when it comes to Portalarium being the judge. I remember we had some digital artists here within our past, but I think they were (similar to the music) getting paid. In looking at this from a legal lens, what I think I hear Lord British saying, is that Portalarium would be willing to allow a public vetting of artwork, which then can't be seen as solicited business which is enjoined with Portalarium. Portalarium is attempting to offer a way that art could enter into our world, yet they can only handle so much. Possibly later tech within the game could afford the player a way of doing this, but the interest isn't there yet for Portalarium to come up with such tech ability to "provide the player".

"Providing the player and/or player community" is the language which I think is important here. Taking the motive out of Portalaium for profit from it is at stake within this. If "The player" (motive) wished to sell their art "in the game", then this releases any Portalarium motive, other than to have provided the players a way to do so, yet with public vetting, because Portalarium can only handle and/or offer the ability for a limited quantity to do so.

The works you have created thus far Leostorm are of an attractive enough talent to do so with. Those works can enter into the game through public vetting. To satisfy this public vetting, maybe we should hold an art solicitation for show, so as to give others a chance and also free Portalarium from any legal ties of the wanting for profit. They just would like to offer a way "for artists of your talent level" a way so "you and/or other artist, can sell art inside the game". Portalarium in this way is not giving the player artist anything, other than a way for artists to sell artworks in the game. Portalarium isn't giving you the 10gp, the players would be, each time they bought one, and by you accepting it from them, then this completes what's needed to take Portalarium out of the profit loop. The exclusive art for an individual player, is not what we or they are talking about, so whatever art that enters, should be available for sale to the general ingame public.

Such a venture would prime the pump for other artists to follow.

You have a good sense of style Mad (I sometimes don't:pwhen it comes to things like the vetting of art). "Would you mind if players had a chance to buy a copy of what Leostorm made for you?" What I'm thinking here is that from what Leostorm has made already, that such an "art show (competition if there are any others)" could be held and by the number of likes each work received, thus Portalarium can then provide us a way for them to enter into our cyber game world where they then could be sold.

We have to open the conduit in a way that divests Portalarium within the profit motive. I'd like to see each one of Leostorm's player depictions in the game by next month. Because they are of individual players makes little difference if that is all we can get. I think those players who had them made for them, deserve such a thing because they provided the inspiration which drove Leostorm to have made them. In this way, "just as today we may buy in RL a Velvet Elvis, or a George Washington painting, this is not a total vanity to do so. Leostorm (and those that follow his lead) would then be overwhelmed with people desiring the artist's works of their own mug-shot being considered for portrait. Within the demand, then the artist could choose what they wish, while those who support the artist ($ possible outside the game) to be entered into the game for further purchase which completes the transaction, with Portalarium providing the way to have that art transitioned for further sale with no charge, yet in limited quantity of delivery each month.

Is anyone feeling me in what I have stated here?
    • Player wants custom artwork ingame.
    • Artist wants conduit to have their art, or a chance to have their artwork ingame.
    • Portalarium provides the way of transition of the art to be ingame.
    • Player sells art ingame with no profit going to Portalarium.
    So what if I want to buy a picture of The Mad Hatter or another player ingame. Art is art! and if this is all we have, then as a player, I want it, we want it, and we seem to have a way of doing that offered through Portalarium.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Yup, All they would need to do really is make a offical thread asking for art donations, so theres a place to post submissions, then promote it.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think they want us to do that...
    If no other suggestions come up here within this next week, I'll start one if no one else does, but I have to leave town (RL) sometime this month for 2 weeks to visit the US Embassy here in Thailand, so I couldn't be there possibly for what's needed. I know if we prime this pump that others will follow. Whether or not we have enough or proper vetting seems to be the only thing standing in the way here. it maybe a solo event featuring your work at first, but we have to start somewhere and I've never had any reservations of having eggs thrown at me for being bold. But I think a better target time would be for the beginning of next month, for whatever is done in the way of posting it, or who will post it. Yet I do see it as more proper to have a player post it acting as announcer, then with @Berek chiming in to complete the clarity and authenticity of the offer for everyone to join in. I just think ~LB~ is looking for this to be a community effort coming from the community instead of them taking the major lead in it, because they are just the deliverymen that will place the (chosen or vetted) artworks ingame.

Maybe @Cordelayne could be it's posting player as he's done for this thread :) If not then I'm available as well as possibly @The Hatter ? I like the idea of The Hatter taking the judge and lead because it sort of fits his style, but that's pushy on my part to say that as well with Cordelayne. Whoever does is sort of married to it for at least a while.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

More art! :p
    On a side note, Im no longer using photoshop :O
    Ive moved on to Clip Studio Pro (formally Manga Studio)
    Its Amazing! like photoshop and corel paint in one.
    It has amazing drawing tools that are a joy to use.
    Its def allowing me to create high quality lines with alot less fangling around in PS.

Heres some sketchy stuff im working on atm, its fun, but i must sleep now :p
    [​IMG]

7. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter Avatar

Hello Avatars,

I don't want us to detract from this threads progression and I am happy to Open a conversation to take this further. Letting the artist do his work :)

If you want to be part of this building blocks of "Fine Arts of Shroud of the Avatar" Committee please PM me and I'll happily add you to the conversation.

@Berek please PM me

-MH

8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

As @Mad Hatter has already taken the lead here, I will defer to him and join the conversation he has started! :)

Mad Hatter, Leostorm and Time Lord like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ditto :)

Mad Hatter, Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Finished a new commission for @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos !
    The theme is of @Attenwood and QA testers fighting bugs!
    The scene shows that with each new morning and sunrise (Update hehe) more bugs are born to be vanquished!
    Never give up the Good Fight!
    [​IMG]

11. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This. Is. Incredible!

Amazing! Thank you so much! :D

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This is awesome! We need to have @Berek and @Lord British push for this as an in-game reward for the Testing program.

13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Amazing!! Except, I don't see where I am in this picture... hrmf... :). Sharing this!

14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Except it needs to be available to all.

Jack Knyfe and Time Lord like this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Testing is available to everyone. Beta/Dev+ is not, but Testing is not exclusive.

Alley Oop and Time Lord like this.
  16. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Testing is always being done by everyone in a passive way.

Credit towards a reward system is more of a first encountered, first given credit system.

Afaik, if your reported bug is labeled known or you give additional information on a already reported bug, no credit goes to your effort.

If my perception in this is incorrect, you are free to correct this.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Yay glad you like it! Was alot of fun to do.

Haha, thx man :p

Yea Id love to see this in game available to all :) But they are free to use it anyway they would like.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

On a side note:

I have fallen in love with Clip/Manga Studio Pro.
    Learning the program with this art piece was perfect, and I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys drawing or painting or just doodling.
    Its a very powerful program that combines elements of photoshop, illistrator and corel paint, all catered to drawing.
    I could go on and on about it right now, but for those interested, its worth a google and checking out some vids of people showing why its awesome.
    Its also only $50 o_O

Time Lord and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  19. Selene

Selene Avatar

You must be somewhere in the hazy background with me. :D I didnt see any bunny ears either.

Super cute and awesome work as always! Wouldnt mind fighting that centipede in game for reals!

Time Lord and Berek like this.
  20. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Thx! yea while drawing him, I thought hed be a pretty unique boss mob i hadnt seen in any other game really. :p

Time Lord and Selene like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.