Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Leos' R11 feedback about combat and targeting

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Leostemplar, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

Hello everyone,

I'm here today to make some suggestions to improve what I believe to be great problems of the current combat system: Keeping your target selected and in range. It's all about targeting. Right now, whenever we cast a Ground Targeted Glyph, miss click a Glyph or move with the mouse, we will much probably lose our current target.

It is really frustrating - especially to Fire Mages - to lose our target so many times (To Fire Mages this happens whenever they cast some of their most powerful spells (Ring of Fire or Fireball).

Losing the target is a great deal right now because the current Glyph System requires too much attention to the Quick Bar. With the player focused on the Quick Bar - at the bottom of his screen - he will usually take a couple seconds to notice that his target was lost, this does have a huge impact on combat as he will stop auto attacking and delay the use of Targeted Glyphs.

The suggestions I have to make combat smother are:
    First of all: Sticky Target => Whenever in combat, a player should only change/lose his target if:
    1. He targets another Player,
    2. He targets another NPC,
    3. He press the ESCape key.
    We should still be able activate triggers, break barrels, climb ladders, etc, but without losing our current target. This will be a HUGE improvement to everyone I believe.

Second: A Smarter casting system => After activating a Glyph with a Ground Targeted Effect (like Fireball), the Ground Target Marker will show on the player's cursor and he will have four ways to select his target:
    1. To use the Ground Target to select where the effect will be centered (as it is now),
    2. To press F1 and have the effect centered on himself,
    3. To press F# (where # ≠ 1) and have the effect centered on a party member,
    4. To press the same Glyph for a second time and cast the spell centered on his current target.***
    *** Perhaps if the player is using a Beneficial Ground Targeted Glyph - like Soothing Rain - and his current target is hostile, pressing the same Glyph for a second time should make the Glyph's effect to be centered on himself, not the target.

Third: Targeting Pets => Sometimes it's really hard to target a Pet, especially when we are in tight places - like caverns - crowded with monsters attacking us. Here I’d suggest allowing players to target their Pets or their party member’s Pets by clicking F# two times. For example, pressing F1 when I’m already targeted would make me target my own pet.

Fourth: Stick to Target => It’s hard for melee fighters when they need to both chase a fleeing monster or player and update/merge/combo his Glyphs. Having a Stick to Target function would help here. The player would push a key and his Avatar would stick in melee range to his current target until the player moves in another direction, press the ESCape key or stick to another target. This seems necessary to me because - again - the Quick Bar requires too much attention.
    Edit.10/11/2014: There is already a command for this, it's the /Follow command. It is already working as I hoped it to work. Now we only need to be able to assign it to a Hot Key (Thank you Smack).

I believe many player will disagree with some (or maybe most) of my suggestions. But I'm quite sure no one here (crosses fingers) will be against the Sticky Target function (Only lose target when pressing ESCape or when targeting another NPC/PC).

I haven't posted much here but I've been reading our Forums for a long time. I wish you wisdom while designing this wonderful game and I hope to have helped the development and not wasted your time. I also apologize beforehand if some of the points raised here were already fully contemplated by another thread.

Peace,
    Leos.

Bow Vale, smack, Spoon and 2 others like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

I generally agree to this, except if there are specific skills the opponent can perform on you to cause you to lose your target. But there could be problems with internal logic if you're interacting with world objects where it depends on the target being the object. To mitigate this, perhaps there can be a hotkey for "Switch to last Target".

And if someone doesn't like Sticky Target, perhaps we can have it so it can be performed on a CTRL+click on the target and it becomes Sticky.

Completely agree here. AoE skills generally are performed centered on a target, be it yourself or an opponent or object. While the hotkeys are useful to select the target, we can also center the effect simply by clicking again on the target. In most cases that's what we'll generally do, so just cast the skill, and click again on your target and it's centered underneath it.

I also don't like how Pets are controlled, being forced to right-click on them. In tight places or heated battles, this can be very problematic. This is where we're going to need more key binds for controlling pets.

This can be accomplished now by just issuing a /follow on your target or right-clicking and choosing Follow, I believe. The follow will break if you move in any direction but I think you can still manipulate UI controls...would need to double check.

Leos likes this.
  3. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

Hello Smack,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to post here.

I agree with you, if those skills are implemented and the opponent uses them, it surely should make you lose your target. I also agree there could be problems while interacting with the World. I believe it would be better if we could interact without targeting the objects; once more, we should still be able activate triggers, break barrels, climb ladders, etc, but without losing our current target. Your idea of the CTRL+Click to make it Sticky sounds great to me.

Clicking the target surely helps, but it is also easy to miss it in the heat of the battle. I believe that here the more options we have, the better.

I completely agree. I've mentioned the targeting only because I wanted to keep this thread around Targeting. But that's for sure, we need more control and more Key Binds for pets.

Oh, thank you; that is really great! I didn't knew of this /follow command (And yes, Right Click > Follow will have the same effect, it just doesn't work for NPCs). If they ever allow us to Key Bind it, it will be perfect.

Thank you once again,
    Peace,
    Leos.

smack likes this.
  4. Borg

Borg Avatar

Auto follow selected target system, is exactly what we need, it really makes sense with the auto hit and stick view to Deck system.

Leos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.