Let the building begin... 8700K GOT!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Trihugger, Oct 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

The pieces:
    I7-8700k - delidding w/ Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut between die and spreader.
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero Z370 Mobo
    Nvidia 1080 Ti - Aorus Extreme Edition 11G
    Alphacool Eisbaer 420mm AIO - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut between spreader and heat sink.
    32 gb Gskill TridentZ RGB C14 DDR4 3200 RAM
    3 Corsair HD Series 140mm RGB fans for Push-Pull over the AIO w/ supplied Alphacool fans behind.
    2 Corsair LL Series 140mm RGB fans for top exhaust
    3 Corsair ML120 PRO series magnetic fans for front intake
    Debating another LL series for rear exaust and a 120mm LL series for bottom intake to replace the Corsair AF140 and AF120 w/ white LED's. BURY ME IN RGB!
    Various fan controllers/hubs/bs to make my turbine engine flashy/not constantly blasting off (PWM control).
    Thermaltake View 71 Case
    2 ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q G-Sync 2K Resolution IPS monitors (praying to the IPS gods for minimal RMA hassle)

The Disclaimer - I build a computer basically once every 5-6 years so when I do, I go all out. Current build is a 3770k Ivy Bridge (that didn't win the Silicon Lottery :()

The Goal:
    [​IMG]

2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

got that card few weeks back upgraded from 970, did wonders for my SotA experience ^^

curious why you chose a smaller case, less quad radiators :eek: and no its not a question of need :p

seriously tho im a bit envious
    hope everything goes smooth unboxing-SotA!

Trihugger likes this.
  3. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I basically wanted the tempered glass and then the fact I could mount the radiator like it is in the picture there sold me on the case. I currently have a custom loop and quite frankly I'm just not hardcore enough of an OC'er to need to bother with that **** lol.

4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

ha same, but like i said before its not about need just wants an can's :p I do run my **** OC'ed but not to the limit or anywhere near

However with the custom loop you can get more pretty colors to go with that rainbow ^^

Trihugger likes this.
  5. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

And the sadface is real. Computer won't boot with all the ram sticks and individually the RAM sticks check out... looks like the B2 slot (closest to the CPU) is broken/CPU is bent/CPU has bent pins/Mount is uneven.... etc. to infinity of SUPER awful things to troubleshoot. Looks pretty though.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  6. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Can it play minecraft?

monkeysmack likes this.
  7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Nice, I have been planning almost the exact same build myself. I need to give my son the rig I have (specs in my signature). You dont list drive but the news came out that a new Samsung m.2 is due out (970) and I'll probably grab that. I already have a GTX1070 that I'll move to the new unit. My son already had a gtx980 that I'll put in his rig.

8. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I feel for you :(
    but if it was damaged from the store you can just return it right?
    like 2 weeks ago a friend damaged his brand new i7 during installation.. 10 seconds can be costly ah the pain

9. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Yea RMA'd the motherboard. CPU isn't bent and I didn't see any bent pins or anything else that was obvious. Wouldn't boot even with the heat-sink removed (no weird pressure problems basically). And I guess the A1 and A2 slots were both bad not the B1/B2 (A's are the closest to CPU, my mistake earlier) so I couldn't even cut my losses with two 16 gb sticks since they'd only be in single mode in B1/B2 >.<.

Worst part is I really am still grasping at straws and don't know if this'll actually fix the problem. Just couldn't find anything else that realistically makes any sense after each stick of RAM will boot the machine from the two working slots and nothing looks damaged. Why is it always motherboards lol... the absolute WORST thing to need to replace!

10. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Impatience is a virtue after all... Just got a replacement board from Amazon instead of waiting 3 weeks for Newegg to un-twiddle its thumbs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

smack, 3devious and Disgruntled like this.
  11. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Crappy old cell phone camera quality at its finest

smack likes this.
  12. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, but that fish...impressive.

Trihugger likes this.
  13. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

what drive you end up buying to run it?

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Pro tip: you pour the contents of the can into the glass. Not place the can into the glass.

Gregg247, Bow Vale and Trihugger like this.
  15. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Did 960 pro main and 960 evo data.

16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Just in case anyone else picks up a Coffee Lake chip... You MUST go in and manually adjust the voltage otherwise it will quite happily volt itself above 1.4V Vcore. Not necessarily a problem at a glance but over time that's a ton of Vcore to be messing with. And to boot it's not terribly steady either, it's jumping for 1.2-1.4 as the applications run by default so all kinds of bad. Maybe a BIOS update in the future will fix this but for now people need to manually adjust that stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.