Let's settle this once and for all. Card combat, Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by TheGrinch, Apr 14, 2015.

?

Do you like the card combat system in it's current state?

1. Yes, it is the best thing since sliced bread.

99 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. No, it sucks more than a vaccum cleaner

170 vote(s)
    63.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Title says it all. Vote away!!

2. TantX

TantX Avatar

I think there could have been better options to choose from, but if it comes down to "Yes, I'll play SotA with the current combat system" or "No, I will not play SotA with the current combat system," then there's my answer. Definitively not.

Lord Lonn, Zylo, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

LMAO , Bah Humbug

How about not the best or the worst, and make a few suggestions

BTW I slice my own bread and your vaccum filter is clogged Muhahhahhahahaa

4. Lained

Lained Avatar

I like your optimism that a single poll would settle anything.
    X

5. Net

Net Avatar

What a useless poll with no middle ground for "it can be fixed" :)

Jatvardur, Logain, smack and 5 others like this.
  6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

this will underestimate the negative views you know because those who are fed up enough to have left or not bought the game at all wont\can't vote

7. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Not that it will settle anything, but I have seen post after post where someone says the majority of the people think this or the majority of the people think that. Well, at least we may be able to see which "majority" of the people actually has the majority.

Forest_Dweller likes this.
  8. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

As I see it, there is no middle ground. The middle ground has been beat to death in numerous other threads. And STILL nothing has changed in development. Its time that they either scrap it, or we do one of two things, learn to live with an inferior combat system or stop backing the game. The point of the poll is to attempt to find out how many people want to keep it, and how many want to scrap it. Plain and simple. We can argue middle ground until we are blue in the face, but it's a yes no question.

9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

They are NOT going to scrap it, if you are SOOO much against it then sorry, SotA isn't for you.

I know this is harsh but?

Yes suggestions have been beaten to death but they do look at these those thread and get ideas.

10. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I do not agree taht it is yes/no questions;) It is much more complex than that. And if they scrap it, they still have multiple options how to implement new combat system. Who can say it will be better or not than the current one? And which one they should choose? There should be constructive feedback on how the new system should look like and if peopel would like that one more than current one. Suggesting scrapping it is nice, but it is like ascing people if they like their president. In some countries majority will not like him or her, but no other candidate will get bigger support.

11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Even all the Devs have said they realize the combat system needs work, which means they know it's not perfect, but feel it can be improved. I'm inclined to agree with them on this topic. If we can get 500 of us to vote on this - including all the devs, I think this poll could prove interesting though. ;-)

Ravicus (Sawtooth Hollow and Net like this.
  12. TantX

TantX Avatar

This is such a crappy attitude. "Don't like a card based combat system, SotA isn't for you." That wasn't a selling point people backed. People backed for the role-play, storyline, immersive gameplay and community. I doubt anyone sat down and said, "I want to play a competitive card game, with a computer or a player. Hey, I'll pick up SotA, because that's its focus."

While I agree the situation isn't as easily divided as "yes or no", it can illustrate how many people are completely, 100% for the concept and those who are completely, 100% against the concept. The system in game is not complete, yes, but the mechanics are fundamental; that is, while we can polish it, how it ultimately affects gameplay can already be seen. It can be easier to use or less distracting with polish and updtes, but it shouldn't be difficult or distracting to use at all. Not even slightly, not even kind of. You can't sell a buddy on coming back or changing a negative review with "It isn't as immersion-breaking, distracting or annoying to use as before!" It has to be "The system is intuitive, fluid and easy to use."

A card based combat system put into a mobile, dynamic combat environment does not facilitate those things without significant automation, which defeats the purpose of the combat system anyway. Not to mention the randomness of the system deflates tactical options; people claim building decks removes min-maxing, but when you cannot guarantee a counter will be available at the exact second you need it, then you'll min-max to have only glyphs that are useful 100% of the time then relying on pure luck to meet rare , specific circumstance with any practicality.

Pong3d, Shadoweaver, G Din and 4 others like this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Not going to vote on such a closed vote, there IS a middle ground :)

14. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

And that is your prerogative sir, thank you for stopping by to point it out :)

Forest_Dweller and Ice Queen like this.
  15. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I assume this will be addressed after launch based on the number of active players over time.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well what's the point? We've had some great discussions on the combat, some are still going on. The Devs are reading I'm sure. There's no way I'm not gonna play this game. We may not get the combat issues resolved for quite some time, but I bet we will get it better and I will be there. It's too soon to be an either or else which I wouldn't participate in anyway. I will not threaten to quit, it's silly. We've lost some people who have missed out on the journey. Their loss.

17. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

Yeah? And what do they do with these ideas? Have they made the card based system viably playable with any of these ideas? Have they given ANY of the control they stripped away from the player with this system back to the player?

Random is not control. Lets look at it another way... Assuming you drive, lets assume your driving down the road. You have two pedals on the floor, a "brake pedal" and a "gas pedal". You also have a steering wheel that rotates both left and right. Now, you know that to drive successfully you need to be assured of some sort of control over what happens when you interact with either of those objects. Ie. you expect that when you press the gas the car speeds up, press the brake the car slows down, turn the wheel left the car goes left, turn it right the car goes right. Now, some smart new car designer decides it will be "more fun" to introduce some randomness into cars because driving cars like normal is well, just too boring. So, this car designer develops a car in which those 4 input items have random results when you interact with them. He places a screen in the instrument panel that indicates what these 4 inputs do at this exact moment. Maybe when you press the gas pedal the car turns sharply to the left. Maybe pushing the brake the car speeds up. Turning the wheel to the left the car may slow down and turning the wheel to the right may make the car actually turn to the right... THIS TIME. And then, 30 seconds later the rules change. The deck is shuffled. Those 4 inputs do something entirely different now. So now your pressing the gas pedal and the car screeches to a halt. SHOOT, the deck changed! Not to mention you have 4 other decks that you want to use sometimes too, I mean after all sometimes you will want to open the doors, roll down the windows (individually), turn on the radio, change the station, volume, etc. So now your tooling down the road, watching the display in the instrument panel exclusively because you need to know what will happen when you interact with either of those inputs at any given time. And what happens? You're approaching a busy intersection where your light is red. You're looking at your display instead of the road, because, well you need to know what you have to do to slow down. Oh, no... you have speed up, turn right, turn left and SLUG. DAMN. What do you do? Some other poor sole is approaching the same intersection at the same time and is also staring at his instrument panel trying to figure out what input he needs to use. He chooses to speed up, which was also the only option you felt like you could use. You both fly into the intersection at the same time, neither of you seeing the other vehicle because you are both staring at your UI. You crash into each other. Now more randomness, who will die? You? He? Both?. Oh wait we forgot to factor in a couple of things. Your armor... Ie your vehicles. You are driving a Smart Car. He is driving an 18 wheeler. How's that fun random thing working out for ya now?

Player controls should be exactly that, PLAYER CONTROLS. If you can have a total possibility of 25 spells but choose to only use 4 of them, good for you, enjoy playing with your 4 spells. Personally, I want the ability to choose the 25, and I will cast the one that I want WHEN I want.

18. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well everyone has their own opinion of it. But the devs want it and without a mass revolt it's hear to stay.

Have to say I'm not a big fan of it, I would wish it away.

19. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Avatar

That's exactly the idea Death... to revolt. The devs work for us right? I mean we are the stock holders, the capital investors, the backers. Without our money there wouldn't be a game for them to even talk about. They should at least listen to us and not push thru a design, ANY design that we as a majority do not want. Are we naysayers the majority in this case? I don't know, that is what the poll is for :)

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    forum polls are highly skewed, and not at all scientific. What they would need to do is mail out a survey to every backer, and have them fill it out. Only a small small sample is submitted here, and people vote with multiple alt accounts. Its simply not a good system on the forums here for polling.

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.