Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Level Grinders ??? I know there are some out there What are you at, where, template?

Discussion in 'Release 11 Feedback' started by Weins201, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ah well couldn't sleep, sooooo using Dual Wielded Battle Spears cranked out enough to hit level 62 :eek:

Now its 3338994 / 3673004 experience from 62 to 63. Hey that is ONLY 334K points, which is just 323 Large Grizzly Bears. o_O

No Biggy LMAO ;)

Tried to post a simple picture but couldn't :mad:

Athanil and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well said Weins201!

A Grinding, Grueling SotA Combat Education... o_O
    Angle of attack still seems to be the most difficult challenge for me and bears are a very large target for the practice of.
    I was watching an ice element running across the ground and noticed it's trail which was corresponding with what I have been seeing in the form of any monster or animal's ability to track me as their target. I can't say that "I've got it" yet, but there seems to be a way to lead the creature into a pattern by which they would then be in a more vulnerable location in pathway to become more vulnerable to certain special strikes. Which of course leads to the greater possibility of critical strike for damage.

The Critical...
    Critical strikes do naturally happen without such maneuvering, yet if there is a way by practice to achieve these more vulnerable positioning of the creature, then such practice could prove very useful in the future when melee attacking larger targets. This is where angle of attack seems a deep way to enhance critical damage, yet also points to increasing the possibility of achieving such vulnerable position during PvP. Of course in PvP, the opponent will not act and follow as the creature would, yet when studying the position that brings such a better more critical strike, the recognition of such a position of the opponent could prove of use. "Riposte" continues to be such an attack where if you keep the sward on the target from start to finish of the avatar's movement (which involves being a certain distance from the target as well as some running turn of the character) the damage caused by such a well placed blow is one of the greatest I've seen that can come from such positioning coming available.

The Cards...
    Currently I've been using a 4 card pop-up and 3 card fixed situation where I've fixed those skills that seem less useful and kept those that require more focus as well as being seemingly more useful in the random section of my combat card set-up. This has resulted in a character that seems very suited for dealing with masses of mobs, or war like set-up that stays further away from the single strike and encourages the area strike.

The Angles...
    I do hope that there are certain angles, distances and places where each of our chosen combat strikes can do their most damage, as it has been a great challenge for me to locate a few of these and even greater challenge to pull them off in their application to the target. This is something I find fascinating where, even though all the quests and places have been visited, "there's more to discover and learn about combat in our world than only standing in one place and hitting all the buttons".

The Combos...
    Combo's are not well suited to the mobile style of combat and have thus far shown me little in their usefulness.
    And, I still can't see standing in one place while attacking any target, yet I do accept it as a play style because it's all the mobile style's swirling around that at times seems hypnotic when looking away from the screen....
    Especially after reaching levels at any pace other than normal... the 60's... arrg! those are almost painful to quickly achieve ;) and every one there after a grueling grind that tests the true nature of one's dedication for excellence :eek:

Back on the grueling grind path :confused:... and bears continue to be the perfect target for the practicing of advanced weapons technique ;)
    Keep it running Portalarium, "keep it running because there's more to learn for those of the deep!" :D
    For our ever deeper Ultima... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Time the View Angle and the Zoom are one of the most critical thing I have found help me see and chase targets. I HATE having to reset it when I change rooms, maps or almost anything for that matter.

I like to be Zoomed all the way out and Looking from up and behind my head. I am as small as possible and can see targets from almost every angle they are at. Plus I can see them move and turn and chase them easiest.

Problems arise when they get near walls or edges of battlefields, these cause the view to zoom in. I changes back thankfully once I leave or turn away from the walls.

Also Movement is basically turning and moving forward. Very little back and side steps.

I have 3 Locked Glyphs now for the Pole arms - Light, Healing Touch, and Inner Strength

I have 6 Scrolling glyphs and they are ALL Offensive. I have the punch spells for Fire, Ice, and Earth as they all have combos with either Shield Bash or Puncture.

This is strictly a PVM build and works nicely.

PvP HAS to be Hybrid :-(

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I've continued playing, mostly the breamer challenge, I'm 62 now, almost :) here are some things I've done and noticed.

I too found the angle of attack critical to the critcal, I practiced on elves using a 2h sword, I did several tests, some with all str, some with all dex and some variation in between, not enough str= not enough damage and not enough dex = not enough crits, it was fine balance that had to be found, as far as my hot bar, I only locked one glyph, heal self, and even that locked glyph is suspect, its just to hard on the focus. I went a different route, I lengthened the time they stay in my hand and quickened the speed they were dealt, I also keep a mind wipe in my deck. i also kept an extra heal in the deck along with inner str and a dex boost, the dex boost is meh, its not long enough and fizzles like crazy, but then again so do my heals, the only reason I kept it is because when it doesnt fizzle it make a serious impact, I become unhittable to all but the most dangerous creatures and the crits come alot faster, unfortunately its gone by the next time you reach your next adversary.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I'm at level 35 and probably won't spend a lot of time leveling higher. TBH given a future reset, and knowing I'll have to do it all over again, I'm content with just casual play.

6. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Ok, confirmed what i suspected. Every time i move to single player i gain a lot of damage resistance when fighting elves and perhaps other creatures as well. You have to log into single player, zoning to someone that's there won't work. Seems that there is a system that gives people in single player a resistance boost. Perhaps because it gives single players a way to complete multi player content?

All i do now is fight at Vertas Pass, with that immunity (you take some damage, but nothing compared to how it normally is) fighting solo. What i do is take control of the point and then walk off the contro; point area so that i stand in the middle of the road. When the elves finally show up all you have to do is spam aoe's, make sure to target the fighters! Earthquake for damage and slight stuns and Deathfield for healing. When cast on a large group of elves the results are amazing. It heals at least 25% of my total health. Note that you will have to get lots of reagents for this to work!

Also, when grinding solo. Make sure you are in a party. Being in a party while the other party members aren't there will increase your xp gain. Elven mage normally gives 1500 xp. Now it will give 1725.

Using this method you can gain a level in under a hour. Since it's pretty boring, i won't be doing this myself a lot though. ;)

Current level 63, still a mage..

7. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Nice find, Athanil ;) I must try that out tonight :D (I usually don't opt for single player mode.) I've been hanging out in both Vertas Pass and Deep Ravenswood fighting elves to level up, but it's been really slow going (only reached level 44 last night :() Darn arrows aren't dishing out enough damage, so I've been relying more and more on my air and death spells. Hmm...my death field doesn't seem quite as effective as yours, but that's probably because I can never seem to get more than three elves at a time within range o_O

8. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I've made it to 64 using the bludgeon. I tried using a random deck for one level. I didn't like dealing with the number of slugs, so I went back to the four item locked deck. I don't know if I'll advance any further. Right now, I've retired from adventuring and I'm decorating my home on the western outskirts of Owl's Head. The only thing I haven't done is complete the challenge dungeon. The liches destroy me. If I have time before R11 is shut down, I may look to get with a group and try it.

Sophi and Time Lord like this.
  9. PeteWi The Disoriented

PeteWi The Disoriented Avatar

Level 40 using Sword. Shield and locked combat glyphs. Made a lot of headway when I joined in fray in the Vertas Pass. I also made a lot of gold there from the loot I collected and from the party I was wish. From there it's been solo missions to Owl's Nest, Kingsport Sewers, Graff Gem Mines, Solace Bridge and through the many parts of the Forest just outside Owl's Head.

I'm not sure if it's even a good combination but I have 7 slots open with Double Slash, Thrust, Riposte, Whirling Blades, Parry, Fireball and Healing Potion. These are locked glyphs at the moment, but I will experiment with some other combos now that I have more points to distribute.

I seem to fine against most enemies except for the Lich. However, I just added the Healing Potion slot and was able to defeat the Lich in Braemar on a solo trek. The life drain is quite deadly at close range so I'm not sure how I'll fair against that.

Between the Graff Gem Mines and the loot from Skeletons and Kobolds I've put together 25k in gold. This includes buying a full set of Augmented Armor.

I've also been trying to find as many quests as possible not just grinding through levels. Since we moved to Steam I have 36 hours logged.

With the last couple of days before we reset for R12, I'll reshuffle the deck and try some other techniques. I'm not a huge of the glyph style combat, but since it's there, I want to make the best of it.

No magic as of yet, that may be part of the reshuffle. The fizzle rate on the Fireball is disappointing. :)

I haven't done anything in the Challenge Dungeon. I've heard stories, so maybe that will be my final folly before the reset.

Sophi and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.