Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Leveling skills still way too slow - stacks and combo's don't seem to change that

Discussion in 'Release 42 Feedback Forum' started by mike11, Jun 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I've noticed that leveling skills now is incredibly slow, even for 1st tier abilities. Especially for abilties which are non-spam type.
    It's dreadful to level through some of the major bottlenecks, it makes it not worth even playing IMHO.

One would think that during combat stacking and combos would increase the level chance, I didn't think it did. I suggest to increase it if possible.

I think the XP idea has proven that it is in need of a redesign and it would be good to include more fluent design flow into the gameplay experience.

Often, Portalarium's solution is to "add another button". Most players character advancement includes adding new buttons to the interface in the form of Glyphs, Stances, Focus and deck utilities. A few patches ago the added the extra hotbar utility which often can be mis-configured to display non-relevant ability 'buttons'.

Suggestion/Solution - make the stacking and combos, discarding more fluent so that these things make more sense and/or add a modifier to the leveling chance.

Some idea similar to "he's on fire" after the player performs attacks successfully in succession, which adds a modifier to leveling chances - with the goal of forcing players to build the stacking and combos more often.

2. TheWanderingPoet

TheWanderingPoet Avatar

I've had no issues leveling anything. If you want to level it faster use it during combat. I can reach lv 40 in a matter or a couple days.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The higher the pool you have, the more will go into the skill per use.

4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Do most abilities matter if you have a valid target or not? Seems like it doesn't matter.
    Does that increase the %chance or the outcome if a level is rolled? If that is correct.

5. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

But don't you get a higher pool by using skills and therefore decreasing that pool? How do you get a higher pool?

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Quests will give you exp and killing mobs. You want to be killing the mobs that will give you the fastest exp for your level. If you have everything turned on, and are killing really low level mobs, you will probably use more exp then what you get back in return. You have 2 options. A - kill higher level mobs worth more exp or B - turn skills to maintain so they are not consuming exp. Knowing what skills are going to benefit you the most and leveling those before others will get you stronger faster.

7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Having started a couple of new toons recently I have noticed that the start is incredibly painful skill wise, Im struggling to maintain a 5k pool, and skills go up appropriately slowly because its only 5k.

I started on the path of truth, Ive been to so many cities following the whispers of go here.. about bonesteel and while Im now stuck cos the npc wont open a conversation, none of the sub parts of "speak to x" have given xp, so I gained none on the way.. So given my toon cant talk to the man I need, I wandered off to try gain xp while the NPC gets fixed, it is a very slow painful start. At least with love the soltown outskirts (now) and soltown quests actually give you a number of quests to help bump that pool up and get it moving to a point where you can actually hit something, but, my poor toon is stuck, still pretty much fit for 1 skull areas only and skills barely moving..

Of course, Im soloing this - this makes a huge difference, if I was constantly in groups we could do other things and other areas, but, skull 1 mobs give little xp, and even at low level (eg skill < 40) rates, it seems enough to maybe use a skill once or twice and all that xp you got from the mob has gone.

In fairness the truth and honor (I dont think honor is live yet right? havent looked) when both these get their outskirt stuff will help, you can get some xp in a skill 1 zone with easy access I hope like the soltown ones to vendors, banks, trainers etc, the not needing to constantly run zone a few times, just to sell the 3 hammers you could hold because you cant hold any more, doesnt help either, while its not long to zone a couple of times, sell, bank anything you wanna keep, etc, and zone twice back.. it breaks the flow..

Once you get to 3 or 4 skull areas and you can carry enough crap that you can be there for at least what feels like a meaningful time, and the mobs are worth more xp, you can really start making progress, but at 1 or 2 skulls, it does feel a little like trying to push water up a hill.

Dont get me wrong, I dont mind a hard graft, but, it almost seems the wrong way round at the moment, the graft is hard when you start, and once you get much higher, maintaining an xp pool of 1M+ is quite doable, as well as a couple of skills on improve..

discipleofweb likes this.
  8. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Leveling a skill is not a "chance" lol.

Like Mac said: Questing and Killing mobs gives EXP into your pool. Using a skill takes a percentage of EXP from the pool to level.

9. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

1) Skill management alone, best way for 1-80 levels, you turnoff skills except two or three and rise them during of a combat. BUT those skill in the deck should NOT affect you XP per hour rate, even better if it raise your XP hour rate. NOBODY NEVER does more time efficient way than this one alone, gustball if you play alone is just waste of time till 70-80 level or if you need very specific skill like douse.
    2) Good guild. Guys from my guild fill in pool of newbies in the beginning in DRW they will get 200-300k per hour, two hours and you will get near 0.5 mil, after you transfer it to skills, you will be able to some tier 4-5 solo.
    Not sure that it is a good thing to push up the speed, or i didn`t understand topic;)

10. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I have also started an offline character recently. I have done most of the quests in Perennial Coast and also went up to Hidden Vale and did those also.

The journal says I should be able to do the first Path of Love quest. After that depending on what the journal says, I may start the Path of Courage and Truth to get more quest XP. Also having the Blood River and Highvale Outskirts quests in game should help out a lot too.

11. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I've tried tier 1, tier 2, tier 3.. No difference.. Leveling abilities is ghastly, at least fighting mobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.