Libraries of New Britannia

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok here's something I'd like to do for you all.. For every library listed I'd like to help host and/or organize an opening event to promote the library. Or if you prefer just announcing your library's opening.. just let me know when you're ready to open and I'd love to help you promote it.

Numa, Cianna and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've created the building for my library, The Tower of Knowledge, and started decorating. Its in Elad's Lighthouse, over on the west side of the river. Unfortunately, most of the books I wanted to place within are not actually decorations...

Numa, Bowen Bloodgood and Alexander like this.
  4. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

I believe I created a thread requesting that it be fixed. Don't know if or when they will get to it. All books with a weight of either 0 or 0.1 can't be placed on a surface. All books with a weight of 1 can be placed. My work around was just to copy the contents into a player made book ( temporary solution ). I also asked about the availability of the various book covers for player made books. Would be nice to have access to them. Presently, we only have access to the book cover with the shield on it. ( plus the Hospitaller book cover )

Numa and LoneStranger like this.
  5. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

Hail!

I have a library planned for my town Brickport up in Verdantis near Harvest.

Name: Royal Library of New Britannia

Contact: @Brickbat on the forums, viscounting@gmail.com via e-mail, or @Viscountings on Twitter

Head Librarian: Keeper, one of my alternate characters

Debut: Delayed - Because Portalarium has not put in entrance relocation tools, my town layout and set up is delayed beyond very basic services. Once, they put that promised tool is in, my plan is for the library to come on line about 17 days later on a early Sunday afternoon.

Mission: My intention is for the Royal Library of New Britannia to of course stock all NPC books, all Player written books that I can acquire, and then we will provide free copies of the books for anyone that stops.

For player authors that don't want free copies of their books distributed, I will set up a vendor that will allow them to sale their books at whatever cost they desire.

I have had discussions of including a tea & coffee shop style area and about coordinating with like minded individuals.

I will personally have mini-branches of the library in various NPC towns and would like to offer a free franchise system wherein: we would work to tailor a book collection to the space you have available to host it (from a single bookshelf to a room to your whole damn house) and then the main library would make monthly distributions of new books to franchisee and recycle past batches of books back into the library system.

I look forward to working with the community and like minded book lovers trapped here in New Brittannia by forces beyond our understanding.

Thanks, Brickbat
    Proprietor of The Brickport Family of Towns
    Every Virtue is Lasting (EVL)

6. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

@Brickbat I'll be sure to check it out, I didn't realize you were working toward this.

7. Seven

Seven Avatar

Hail thee,

another Librarian here :)

We will build our Library in Drachental. We already started collecting Books, but still have lots to do. We also havent got a Name for the Library yet. Our Goal is also to have all NPC Books displayed but most of the Player written books as well.

Vyrin, Alexander and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

List updated.

At some point I'll have to clean up how the list works for the scholar's site.

Alexander likes this.
  9. Seven

Seven Avatar

is there already any Library open? Except Alexander`s, That´s where i look nearly every day ;)

Vyrin likes this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Hopefully in the very near future I'll get around to take screenshots and post updates.

Numa and Alexander like this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Just looking at my original screen shot, it's amazing how much my Library has grown since.

Numa and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  13. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'll be using the Hospitaler book cover for books intended to guide beginning Avatars through the SOTA maze. Maybe this is a convention we can all adopt.

Alexander likes this.
  14. Numa

Numa Avatar

Your library is definitely on my to-visit list :) How do you make your books available without patrons running off with the copy?

Alexander likes this.
  15. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

Well, I recently put two of my publications up for sale in a vendor in on the second floor in the library. Someone had talked me into doing this, and I decided that it was a good idea.
    As for the other books, I would encourage you to visit Wombys(Central Brittany) or Vyrins(Aerie) bookstores. They carry/sell most of the books written by other players.

Vyrin and Numa like this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

I spotted a new library that @emusican entered into the home decoration contest :

"Welcome to Bladewyke (105.3, 40.0, 237.0), the home of the guild 'Havoc'. In an effort to educate the populace of Brittania, I have decided to build a grand library, and have named it 'Big Bear Grand Library'. Here, you can read about the history of the land and countless stories, play some chess or checkers, play on the teletypes, or just relax in comfy study nooks. The helpful librarian will fulfill your request, or have a friendly chat in a low voice, of course." - emusican

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/homes-of-new-britannia-–-screenshot-submissions.66098/page-2#post-677478

Btw, I have a small chess nook (just 2 players) at Bibliotecha. Looking at the lobby of the Big Bear Grand Library I am now wondering whether holding chess events/tournaments in our libraries may work in our favor to generate more foot traffic. Even chess books documenting matches would be of interest to many people and would really help in filling up our shelves with original content.

17. emusican

emusican Avatar

My library is under construction (again) as I accidentally let the lot tax lapse. That.... was painful. In any case I will put it back the way it was soon.

Numa likes this.
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

Ouch :( If there is any way I can help - please let me know. Paid the rent for my library 70 days in advance because of that same fear about the rent lapsing. Be sure to give us the good news once it's back up.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ok folks I think it's time I got around to updating our info here. I'm going to try to get around to everyone's library in the next few weeks.. get some screenshots.. map locations etc.. or for library owners if you could help out by posting an update on how your libraries are coming along that'd be great.

Numa and Alexander like this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander Avatar

My library (Jaanaford Public Library) is complete and running for several months now. Been keeping up with the latest publications released and trying to keep things current. However, I have now hit my item count limit and will probably have to remove some deco in order to accommodate more books. Hopefully, Scottie will have a solution forthcoming sometime soon.

Vyrin and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.