Light armor defense

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Diab Blackbow, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I want to play as a light armor user and I have heard of people soloing bosses in light armor. Those bosses usually kill me in a couple of shots. I was wondering what skills and armor people are using to increase their defenses? I can't tell which is better to use, Dodge or Evasion. Are there better alternatives? Are HoTs the way to go? I am currently using a bow.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Time Lord and Numa like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

evasion is good, but fortify defenses does the same thing, only more, and for no focus. it takes a lot to unlock it, though. also look at parry in tactics, firelfies in moon, and get your dex up. that will not only control how often you hit/crit on them, but how often they hit/crit on you.

bigta1982, Time Lord and Numa like this.
  3. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

My dex is currently around 85 and rising. I use fireflies and blinding shot. I will try to unlock fortify defense. Is parry worth it for bows?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

don't know! does your bow have a parry value in the mouseover?

bigta1982 and Time Lord like this.
  5. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

IMHO as a high level archer in leather: dodge is a best defensive skill in light armor tree, but you need high dex(but anyway you need it) Dodge helps both in AOE farm, and boss killing. Also, archer tanks by movement speed(sprint+dash+wolfpotion+fleet flute) High damage avoidance will possibly help you in solo dragon and undead room in Rise, in other places I don't know, IMHO not worths it.

For solo daemon, for example, you need 150+ dex, it needs both for high chance to hit, and dodge depends on dex too. Few artifacts and good armor + dex potion and you will get it.

6. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I got my DEX up to about 94 buffed and 111 with the Necklace of Cautious Precision. That 1.5 Move Speed reduction is painful. Is Shield of Ice good? I am trying to figure out ways to get my DEX up, it is hard.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Necklace (20 dex)+ring 10 dex+ 2x food wolf food 10 dex+ deftness potion(+15 dex)+ air embrace 20dex + armor+bow 25-40 dex + devotional (+5dex) also you will need to drink another potion - wolf speed to compensate move speed decrease from necklace.

vrillx, bigta1982 and Time Lord like this.
  8. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Thanks! Is the ring worth the crit loss? I purchased more dex gear and I am now at 110 dex without artifacts.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Ring gives -10 melee critical hit reduction, bow not melee as i know.

10. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Most crit tool tips say either melee or spell. I usually assume bow falls into the melee Catagory.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I have found that even with full chain with almost gms in every passive that gives me resists that this is not enough for me either. However, if I pop a few key resist buffs (shields, stances and such), I become almost impervious to them. With light armor, you shouldn't be all that far off if you also have the dodge passives and such in the light armor tree.

12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

When I started this post, I was using basic +0 Suppple Epic Leather, a wolf hat, evasion 80, and Ice shield 80. My avoidance buffed was 24%, 11 DR and health around 470. I had no problem farming multiple undead in Deep Ravenwood or mobs in your place Sequanna Colossus. Light armor speed allows you to LOS and use cover very easy if overwhelmed. I started those locations at AL68. I am now AL75. My main issue was being 1 or 2 shotted by the dragon and Daemon in group play. My only solution was to basically to use only slow charged autos and off heal so I dont pull aggro. I upgraded my armor and went from 70ish Dex to 110 and about 540 health. My dodge was at 20 and I am raising it to 80 now.

Is there a way to see Dodge? Also is there a way to macro the Fleet Flute?

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Alley Oop

ah, for group play look at escape. get the dragon to hit someone else rather than you.

Time Lord and bigta1982 like this.
  14. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I have escape unlocked but I have not used it yet for two reasons.

1. I heard it was broke and didn't work good like taunt.
    2. Usually the boss would knock me down on the first hit and then the follow up would kill. This could be just awareness.

For these reasons I have been working on surviving. I will try escape this weekend.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Escape is broken... only reduces Agro 50 points and you have to be within 50 points of someone else in order for it to start targeting them. So 99% of the time it will just re-acquire you as a target. Maybe I am using it wrong but I haven't found the right way to use it yet...

Time Lord and bigta1982 like this.
  16. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

That was my understanding of the state of Escape. Taunt seems to be the same.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

The ring also causes you to do 5% more glancing blows.

So it's a 5%dps reduction

18. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

That doesn't sound worth it.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.